Fan in PSU revving up often, does it mean impending failure soon?

Yesterday I noticed one of my fans revving up, so I dusted out the system thoroughly, but today I noticed it again. My PSU fan is revving up for less then one minute at a time fairly often when under a moderate load, and it just started doing it recently even though I haven't added anything new, nothing in its environment has changed. Its a coolermaster Silent Pro M 1000W PSU. My concern is that this means the PSU is dying and will maybe damage some parts if it goes out. I haven't had any random shut downs, all the voltages are still excellent, I just concerned. Any advice? Am I worrying about nothing? Thank in advance!

Here is a list of common fallacies. Which ones have you used today?

It's most likely just detecting a higher temperature and ramping the fan up to combat that.

<p>Mobo - Asus P9X79 LE ----------- CPU - I7 4930K @ 4.4GHz ------ COOLER - Custom Loop ---------- GPU - R9 290X Crossfire ---------- Ram - 8GB Corsair Vengence Pro @ 1866 --- SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 128GB ------ PSU - Corsair AX 860i ----- Case - Corsair 900D

The temperature sensor in the power supply might be faulty. Try placing a fan in front of the psu ventilation holes as exhaust to see if it causes this problem.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer