5820k to 1800x?

I was considering making the jump from a 5820k to a 1800x, is this worth the money and hassle? I do a lot of video rendering and would benefit from the cores, but a lot of the benchmarks I am reading make it seem like only a marginal improvement. 

I personally would wait another month to see more reviews and benchmarks and allow AMD to work out any kinks they can. imo it's too early to have a definitive answer.

How many pcie devices are you using? 5820k has 28 lanes 1800x has 24 lanes. Not a huge difference but if you are using all of them it becomes one. 

1 minute ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

How many pcie devices are you using? 5820k has 28 lanes 1800x has 24 lanes. Not a huge difference but if you are using all of them it becomes one. 

I shouldn't run into a problem there. 

I'm not sure why you bother personally.  The 5820K should be able to make up most of the difference with overclocking...which on a 5820K is actually possible.  You already admit the improvement would be marginal at best.  You would be much better served waiting for the Kaby Lake-E refresh of Skylake-E next year imho....or Zen+.

An 1800X makes zero sense anyway.  If you want a Ryzen chip...get the 1700 and overclock it to 3.8ghz on all cores.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

12 minutes ago, JuiceHead said:

I was considering making the jump from a 5820k to a 1800x, is this worth the money and hassle? I do a lot of video rendering and would benefit from the cores, but a lot of the benchmarks I am reading make it seem like only a marginal improvement. 

Depending on your motherboard, you could probably get $450-$550 by selling the 5820k and MB. ~$650 for a 1800x and MB.

So... ~$150 + effort selling + reinstall. I would say no.

If you tried hard enough, you could probably come out on top if you went with a 1700. Based on Paul's Hardware recent overclocking video, the difference between an 1800x and 1700 doesn't seem to be worth $170.

Still a lot of effort and it would depend on what "a lot" is. If you are putting out daily videos like Linus does, then every second counts.

Theres still tons of bug and kinks to work out id wait a few months

5 minutes ago, beavo451 said:

Still a lot of effort and it would depend on what "a lot" is. If you are putting out daily videos like Linus does, then every second counts.

Even still, a net 2-3 minute redering gain (guesstimate) over a 10 hour workday (one 15 minute video a day) is still not worth worrying about.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

I'd wait for either Kaby Lake-X/Skylake-X or Zen+ If you overclock your 5820K to 4.5ghz, plus add in the fact that you have quad channel memory, you should be very very close to R7 1800X stock speeds in terms of heavy rendering performance.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 PRO CARBON AC | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC ULTRA |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz |
Phaneks Evolv Tempered Glass | Seasonic FOCUS Gold+ 750W |
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | 860 EVO 500GB | 850 PRO 256GB | Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM

If I were you, I would keep the Haswell, no need for Ryzen in this scenario.

59 minutes ago, JuiceHead said:

Definitely not worth it for you yet, but from what I can tell 1700 and 1800x are same chip, 1800x just "better silicon".  I was very disappointed in how my 1800x overclocked, despite being fastest on HWbot for air cooling:

94cd285c37e40fe902856e60d7f6773284715f83

It seems people are hitting the same clock speeds on 1700, I have a 1700 preordered to compare.  Oh and also please note that my above OC was on b350 chipset, Amazon screwed me out of my x370 board... still waiting on it.

But I will say that I like it over my 6800k a good bit, its doing excellent in VR, which is all I play now anyway, BUT it was also the most frustrating build I've ever done as far as issues once I turned it on, I finally ironed out almost all the issues but if nothing else I would wait a couple of months for firmware updates and such.  But you wouldn't notice much of a performance gain coming from your chip, so why not wait until you see what the refresh looks like later?

For clarification, my RYZEN build I built to sell, I'm keeping my 6800k build for now... only because if I sold it I wouldn't get enough of my investment back...

IF IM RIGHT THE 1700 WILL BE A RIDICULOUSLY GOOD DEAL!!! $300 FOR A 6900K??? SIGN ME THE **** UP

IMG_20170305_103806.jpg

IMG_20170305_104059.jpg

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

Wow @sublimation7, getting almost 4.2ghz out of a 1800X is literally unheard of congrats! Your in the top 5% of 1800Xes that can reach that frequency.

I know, it's still bad, but by Ryzen standards, that's really really really good.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 PRO CARBON AC | EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER XC ULTRA |
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Black Edition | Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB 3200MHz |
Phaneks Evolv Tempered Glass | Seasonic FOCUS Gold+ 750W |
Samsung 960 EVO 250GB | 860 EVO 500GB | 850 PRO 256GB | Toshiba 2TB 7200RPM

8 minutes ago, TechyInAZ said:

Wow @sublimation7, getting almost 4.2ghz out of a 1800X is literally unheard of congrats! Your in the top 5% of 1800Xes that can reach that frequency.

I know, it's still bad, but by Ryzen standards, that's really really really good.

I bet if I removed my hidden mods it wouldn't hit that, but thanks!  I've also gotten an 8320 to 5ghz across all 8 cores on hyper 212 evo in 22c ambient w/o breaking 55c, and with only 1 core 54xx MHz, was trying to take down jumper118, but I got scared after 1.6v.  I'll have to revisit the 8320, I'm so close.

I own air records in USA for...

6800k (not proud of)

r71800x (world)

Just wanted to make it clear that your not going to get these speeds if you just slap a d15 on to it.  I swear that was my only intention, not bragging at all O.o

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

1 hour ago, SubLimation7 said:

-snip-

Also congratulations on making it past 4.1Ghz. That's hands down the highest clock I've seen so far for ryzen.

yeah, the 1700 is shaping up to be a great deal for the price though.