Question: Dual RJ45 to Boost Speeds?

hjxD

Hi.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong section... After watching "Double or Triple Your Internet Speed - This Method Actually Works!" I started thinking about speeding my connection. At university, if I bought an expansion PCIe ExpressCard 34mm NIC LAN Network Card (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M18EDI/) and plugged in with a standard RJ45 CAT 5e on the ExpressCard AND my standard, motherboard NIC, would I double my connection speed? Would I need additional software?

I would like to note, when I do a speed test, my speed between ~1000Mbps to ~500Mbps for both download and upload. So, how would that work?

7 minutes ago, hjxD said:

Hi.

Sorry if I'm in the wrong section... After watching "Double or Triple Your Internet Speed - This Method Actually Works!" I started thinking about speeding my connection. At university, if I bought an expansion PCIe ExpressCard 34mm NIC LAN Network Card (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M18EDI/) and plugged in with a standard RJ45 CAT 5e on the ExpressCard AND my standard, motherboard NIC, would I double my connection speed? Would I need additional software?

I would like to note, when I do a speed test, my speed between ~1000Mbps to ~500Mbps for both download and upload. So, how would that work?

It wouldn't work. It's a kernel level thing more than anything. What Linus had setup was specific with his ISP. You can't just plug 2 cables in and get 2x the speed.

My native language is C++

11 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

It wouldn't work. It's a kernel level thing more than anything. What Linus had setup was specific with his ISP. You can't just plug 2 cables in and get 2x the speed.

My university is an ISP, though. So, I'm assuming that internal wiring would be CAT6 (10Gbps)-- though, my dorm is in an older section. As for my NIC, I know it only support 1Gbps. My concern is the "~500Mbps" (during peak) and if it were CAT 6 with over 1Gbps, it would be always getting 1000Mbps.

If both of your NICs are plugging into live jacks in the wall and not just into your own switch, you can setup teaming between the two NICs to get higher throughput. How you do this is different for each OS but yes it is possible.

Edit - you do need to have link aggregation for it to work.  Check with your school's IT department if they'll support that.

5 hours ago, robertpartridge said:

If both of your NICs are plugging into live jacks in the wall and not just into your own switch, you can setup teaming between the two NICs to get higher throughput. How you do this is different for each OS but yes it is possible.

Edit - you do need to have link aggregation for it to work.  Check with your school's IT department if they'll support that.

You might want to do some research on how link aggregation ACTUALLY WORKS. It will not help him.

16 hours ago, hjxD said:

My university is an ISP, though. So, I'm assuming that internal wiring would be CAT6 (10Gbps)-- though, my dorm is in an older section. As for my NIC, I know it only support 1Gbps. My concern is the "~500Mbps" (during peak) and if it were CAT 6 with over 1Gbps, it would be always getting 1000Mbps.

No matter what, you will not get a 10Gbps link. New dorm or not, it's way too expensive for a university to purchase 10Gb switches that can offer that speed to every room. Also, you are LUCKY to have 500Mbps. The university most likely sets speed limiting rules on the switches to prevent 1 person from using all the bandwidth to the building. You need to understand that port speed is different from internet speed.

My native language is C++

2 minutes ago, tt2468 said:

You might want to do some research on how link aggregation ACTUALLY WORKS. It will not help him.

No matter what, you will not get a 10Gbps link. New dorm or not, it's way too expensive for a university to purchase 10Gb switches that can offer that speed to every room. Also, you are LUCKY to have 500Mbps. The university most likely sets speed limiting rules on the switches to prevent 1 person from using all the bandwidth to the building. You need to understand that port speed is different from internet speed.

I didn't say he'd get increased speed.  I said he'd get increased throughput.  2 x 1Gbit NICs has the potential to put through more bits than one - especially if transferring to/from multiple locations.  Two NICs can handle multiple transfers faster than one can.