Sigurd - Build for My Brother (Completed)

GeekJump

After all this nonsense with PS4 Pro/Neo/Slim and Xbox One/Slim/Scorpio my older brother finally came to me for a PC because he didn't want to buy another console iteration (also his laptop died so he needed a new computer). He has played exclusively on consoles since I was just a microscopic seed in my father's trousers! He wanted a PC that could play all current (he wanted it in time for Andromeda's launch) and upcoming games on high settings, was compact (he saw my R4 case and said "something like that, but a little smaller"), and had a red/black theme (adding LEDs at a later date).

IMG_20170303_173254.jpg

Currently waiting on the SSD (arriving Sunday) and a new case - the one in the picture came with a cracked window and the other side panel was bowing out >_>. Thankfully Newegg's customer support was helpful (a first for me) and are sending me a replacement which should arrive Tuesday.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NwxRRG

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($259.78) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($33.98) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170M Mortar Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($119.41) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($87.29) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.11) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.11) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($407.99) 
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.98) 
Total: $1156.64 (inc. tax & shipping)

The original budget was $1000 TOTAL (parts, OS, peripherals, etc.) . So that left ~$850 for parts but things happened (mainly his ever increasing requests couldn't be met at that price point)...what started as an overclock unfriendly build with a ref 480 became this. The final cost includes taxes and shipping but not some savings from discounts, free promos, and rebates (since I don't have them in my hand yet, I don't count it). So, if you think about it, it's only....$200ish...over budget...:D Sidenote: It's not that he couldn't afford going over budget, he just didn't expect to spend +$1K  on building it and set a rough budget.

Hopefully I can have the finished picture added by Tuesday. It isn't some fancy custom water cooled monster but it should do the job.

Also - I would like to thank @stealth80 and @Being Delirious for their help and suggestions.

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Next Build: "Tyrion" (TBA)

7 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i know its over but  we could fit a i7 in that budget.

xD don't let him know!

But it's already over budget. I did consider an i7 but thought it was overkill

"Solus" (2015) - CPU: i7-4790k | GPU: MSI GTX 970 | Mobo: Asus Z97-A | Ram: 16GB (2x8) G.Skill Ripjaws X Series | PSU: EVGA G2 750W 80+ Gold | CaseFractal Design Define R4

Just now, GeekJump said:

xD don't let him know!

But it's already over budget. I did consider an i7 but thought it was overkill

not really, i7s are worth getting especially with more demanding games.

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

not really, i7s are worth getting especially with more demanding games.

Wait it's not in the budget? It's $300 plus right now

It looks good man and np - I really really would try and add an i7 as @nerdslayer1 said, see my sig for reasons why - it could be do-able with cheaper motherboard, no cooler and 7700 (non-k)

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

16 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

It looks good man and np - I really really would try and add an i7 as @nerdslayer1 said, see my sig for reasons why - it could be do-able with cheaper motherboard, no cooler and 7700 (non-k)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MFmQgL

Swapping out the cpu and mobo make it ~$40 more. Would the performance jump up that much? I tried googling side-by-sides but it keeps putting in the K versions of both. Is this chart reliable http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7600K/3887vs3885 

2 hours ago, GeekJump said:

After all this nonsense with PS4 Pro/Neo/Slim and Xbox One/Slim/Scorpio my older brother finally came to me for a PC because he didn't want to buy another console iteration (also his laptop died so he needed a new computer). He has played exclusively on consoles since I was just a microscopic seed in my father's trousers! He wanted a PC that could play all current (he wanted it in time for Andromeda's launch) and upcoming games on high settings, was compact (he saw my R4 case and said "something like that, but a little smaller"), and had a red/black theme (adding LEDs at a later date).

IMG_20170303_173254.jpg

Currently waiting on the SSD (arriving Sunday) and a new case - the one in the picture came with a cracked window and the other side panel was bowing out >_>. Thankfully Newegg's customer support was helpful (a first for me) and are sending me a replacement which should arrive Tuesday.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NwxRRG

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($259.78) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($33.98) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170M Mortar Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($119.41) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($87.29) 
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($54.11) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.11) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card  ($407.99) 
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.99) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($69.98) 
Total: $1156.64 (inc. tax & shipping)

The original budget was $1000 TOTAL (parts, OS, peripherals, etc.) . So that left ~$850 for parts but things happened (mainly his ever increasing requests couldn't be met at that price point)...what started as an overclock unfriendly build with a ref 480 became this. The final cost includes taxes and shipping but not some savings from discounts, free promos, and rebates (since I don't have them in my hand yet, I don't count it). So, if you think about it, it's only....$200ish...over budget...:D Sidenote: It's not that he couldn't afford going over budget, he just didn't expect to spend +$1K  on building it and set a rough budget.

Hopefully I can have the finished picture added by Tuesday. It isn't some fancy custom water cooled monster but it should do the job.

Also - I would like to thank @stealth80 and @Being Delirious for their help and suggestions.

No Problem lad, due keep in mind the motherboard needs a bios update before you can use that cpu.

The geek himself.

Just now, Being Delirious said:

No Problem lad, due keep in mind the motherboard needs a bios update before you can use that cpu.

What's your take on the i5 K/i7 nonk question? Most of the videos/articles I released the past couple months say the difference is minimal to justify the price diff. All the parts are unopened and I get free returns so now I'm worried again lol

19 minutes ago, GeekJump said:

What's your take on the i5 K/i7 nonk question? Most of the videos/articles I released the past couple months say the difference is minimal to justify the price diff. All the parts are unopened and I get free returns so now I'm worried again lol

I say that if you don't stream then a i5 will be fine for gaming. 

The geek himself.

22 minutes ago, Being Delirious said:

I say that if you don't stream then a i5 will be fine for gaming. 

Yeah, the owner is mainly interested in gaming for the foreseeable future. I'll stick with the i5...I already have a stack of parts to return from the broken case to 2 480s lol

3 hours ago, GeekJump said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MFmQgL

Swapping out the cpu and mobo make it ~$40 more. Would the performance jump up that much? I tried googling side-by-sides but it keeps putting in the K versions of both. Is this chart reliable http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700-vs-Intel-Core-i5-7600K/3887vs3885 

Drop the aftermarket cooler, its not need for non k i7

also see this:

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

8 hours ago, stealth80 said:

Drop the aftermarket cooler, its not need for non k i7

also see this:

I saw that video and some recent ones using the new cpus. You're right - most of them say an i7 is overall better especially if you stream/edit (he's not) because of the HT/. But they say price difference doesn't justify the price jump (I actually pooped on the math, its closer to +$50 if I swap cpus, mobo, and drop cooler after taxes and shipping). I brought this up to him after you commented and he decided to stick with the i5 since he wants to use the money for peripherals (still needs mouse, keyboard, sound option).

Final part came yesterday morning and PC is up and running! Parts have changed a bit the past couple days. The only thing we want to change now is the cables (just the sata and vga). The ones included in the PSU are so rigid and have too many connectors on them so it ruins the clean look. Plan to swap them for red sleeved cables. But since it's purely aesthetic, my brother doesn't want to get them right now.

Final Parts List:

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: MSI B250M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card 
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C with Window MicroATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

Final Pics:

IMG_20170309_164104.jpg

IMG_20170309_164215.jpg

IMG_20170309_141842.jpg

16 hours ago, GeekJump said:

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

:(

I wish you'd left that unopened and returned it in favour of something less eyesore-y.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

7 hours ago, rjfaber91 said:

:(

I wish you'd left that unopened and returned it in favour of something less eyesore-y.

He and I actually like the look of it :/ Gives in an enginey look lol

The other option was the cryorig h7 but it was either sold out or marked up +$15 difference at the time of ordering (of course it's back in stock at normal price now >_>)