6. generation intel AND ddr3?!?!

So I got this motherboard https://www.asus.com/dk/Motherboards/H110M-K-D3/

I just don't understand why it says, that it supports ddr3. Intel 6. generation cpus doesn't support ddr3 but only ddr3l and ddr4. So why this?

Btw, does anyone know, if this mb can use any other that the 6. generation, even though they are not on the support-page?

i7 7700K @ 4.8 Ghz (Kraken x52 aio cooler)

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Gigabyte GA-Z270XP-SLI Motherboard

EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 Power Suply

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

DDR3 still works in DDR3L boards, but Skylake only officially supports DDR3L. 

and that doesn't make any sense to me... why does this motherboard even exist then? Why are they only supporting 6. generation cpu AND still support ddr3. That shouldn't be possible. 

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

2 minutes ago, Jesmo said:

I just don't understand why it says, that it supports ddr3. Intel 6. generation cpus doesn't support ddr3 but only ddr3l and ddr4. So why this?

Btw, does anyone know, if this mb can use any other that the 6. generation, even though they are not on the support-page?

yeah it works, but i have heard that most of the time the chip itselt will not last that long because it puts more stress on the memory controller

I suggest returning the board or selling it and get a proper one with ddr4 support

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 minute ago, Jesmo said:

DDR3L is not really separate from DDR3, it just specifies tigher voltage requirements. There was DDR3 produced that operated at 1.25 V or 1.35 V before "DDR3L" existed, DDR3L was just a formalization of this. While the CPUs don't technically "support" the standard 1.5 V DDR3 modules, they do actually work, in the same way that Sandy/Ivy Bridge and other DDR3 Intel CPUs only supported up to 1.5 V DDR3 officially, but worked with 1.65 V modules just fine. The official support leaves a wide safety margin, higher voltage modules do still work.

Just now, Jesmo said:

and that doesn't make any sense to me... why does this motherboard even exist then? Why are they only supporting 6. generation cpu AND still support ddr3. That shouldn't be possible. 

it only supports 6th gen because older gens have another socket. and with ddr3 non l: some things work allthough they are not officially supported. DDR3 is the low power variant of ddr3, so basically it is only a matter of voltage and power

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

the chip only supports DDR3L, but mobo manufacturrs were like "sod this" and applied voodoo to make it support DDR3.

either way, you shouldnt get these boards in general, DDR3 is outdated, and by now more expensive than DDR4.

5 minutes ago, Jesmo said:

Possible yes,recommended? No

1 minute ago, Glenwing said:

DDR3L is not really separate from DDR3, it just specifies tigher voltage requirements. There was DDR3 produced that operated at 1.25 V or 1.35 V before "DDR3L" existed, DDR3L was just a formalization of this. While the CPUs don't technically "support" the standard 1.5 V DDR3 modules, they do actually work, in the same way that Sandy/Ivy Bridge and other DDR3 Intel CPUs only supported up to 1.5 V DDR3 officially, but worked with 1.65 V modules just fine. The official support leaves a wide safety margin, higher voltage modules do still work.

this.

essentially, it's a difference between "supporting" or "working".

something unsupported may work, they just dont want to put a guarantee on that.

Some series of processors from Intel only work with DDR3 if it's the lower voltage kind ... maximum 1.35v.  It's the same story.. some part of the processor - i think in the memory controller - works at a lower voltage, 1.5v for older generations and 1.2v for newer generations and that part interacts with memory sticks, and that part can be damaged if the memory sticks run at too high voltage.

Ideally, the newer generation processors from Intel prefer to work with sticks and receive signals from memory sticks at same voltage (1.2v) but they can tolerate voltages higher than that, up to a point. The safe margin guaranteed by Intel is 0.15v over the internal voltage, so that's why you had the 1.65v margin on older Intel CPUs and that's why you have 1.35v on the newest Intel generations CPUs.

So basically with latest Intel cpus that still support DDR3, you should use DDR3L or DDR3 with maximum 1.35v voltage, or DDR4 that has default voltage of 1.2v, but there are high frequency memories "overclocked from factory" running at up to 1.35v

From what I heard, if you use higher voltage, then some transistors in that section of the cpu "weaken" over time and eventually the cpu could die completely. Most often though, it's not an immediate failure so you may be tricked into thinking "it just works, i'll leave it like this" and months later your cpu could fail to work or the memory controller could fail to work with more than 1 or 2 memory sticks installed.

Well, this mb doesn't make any sense and shouldn't exist. 

Is the G4560 part of kaby lake and will it work on this mb?

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

14 minutes ago, Jesmo said:

Well, this mb doesn't make any sense and shouldn't exist. 

Is the G4560 part of kaby lake and will it work on this mb?

https://www.asus.com/dk/Motherboards/H110M-K-D3/HelpDesk_CPU/

The G4560 is indeed a Kaby Lake CPU, but I don't see support for it or any other Kaby Lake chips on the list. Kaby Lake processors generally require a BIOS update, so boards that didn't get such an update may never support Kaby Lake.

Hmm.. So I just got this response from ASUS:

There has been no discussion about adding kaby lake support for this motherboard as far as i am aware of.

We have made this motherboard to work with DDR3 memory as well and this far we have not gotten any feedback of a single damaged CPU from the DDR3 memory

Has anyone ever heard of a skylake cpu being damaged by using DDR3? Cause I see a lot of ppl (including Linus) saying i'ts not recommended, but I good this motherboard and planty og DDR3 lying around, so why not use it with a cheap cpu?

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

See my post above. As long as the ddr3 memory voltage is low enough (recommended maximum 1.35v) it will be fine.  1.5v or 1.65v ddr3 memory sticks will damage the cpu (not instantly).

2 minutes ago, mariushm said:

See my post above. As long as the ddr3 memory voltage is low enough (recommended maximum 1.35v) it will be fine.  1.5v or 1.65v ddr3 memory sticks will damage the cpu (not instantly).

Does 1.35v ddr3 (not ddr3l) even exist?

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

Just now, mariushm said:

DDR3L and DDR3 1.35v is pretty much the same thing.

I can't seem to find a single ddr3 @ 1.35 volts. 

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

Like several of us said here in the thread, DDR3L  = DDR3 1.35v , so search for DDR3L  ... it's just DDR3 certified to run at 1.35v

My local IT store lists a bunch of memories as DDR3 1.35v but if I search for the product code (ex CT51264BD160BJ  for Crucial 4 GB) I see the same memory listed as DDR3L on other sites.

Here's example:

Amazon UK DDR3 1.35v : https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/Crucial-CT51264BD160BJ-Voltage-PC3L-12800-Memory/B00BFFZXLU

Amazon COM DDR3L : https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3L-12800-Unbuffered-Density-CT51264BD160BJ/dp/B00BFFZXLU

Same product, just named differently depending on when they were added on the site, or who sells them.

Just now, mariushm said:

Like several of us said here in the thread, DDR3L  = DDR3 1.35v , so search for DDR3L  ... it's just DDR3 certified to run at 1.35v

My local IT store lists a bunch of memories as DDR3 1.35v but if I search for the product code (ex CT51264BD160BJ  for Crucial 4 GB) I see the same memory listed as DDR3L on other sites.

Here's example:

Amazon UK DDR3 1.35v : https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Computers-Accessories/Crucial-CT51264BD160BJ-Voltage-PC3L-12800-Memory/B00BFFZXLU

Amazon COM DDR3L : https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-PC3L-12800-Unbuffered-Density-CT51264BD160BJ/dp/B00BFFZXLU

Same product, just named differently depending on when they were added on the site, or who sells them.

But since the asus lists both ddr3 and ddr3l as compatible, then 1.5 should work... again, according to asus. That's why I'm asking if anyone can confirm that a skylake cpu has taken damage from using ddr3 (1.5v). Nobody seems to have been able to confirm this yet. 

EVGA GTX 980 SC

Phanteks Eclipse P400

Acer 144 hz monitor

Dude, the newer processors are optimized for DDR4, which runs at 1.2v.  Like I said several times already, by design the Intel processors can only tolerate some amount of voltage above that base voltage, which is 1.65v for older processors (ex. Sandy Bridge) which had the base voltage at 1.5v, and 1.35v for the newer processors.

See this thread about Sandy Bridge : https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?p=21199063&sid=8e06403276f6bd1ec839f6e791436262#p21199063

See this article about Sky Lake and newer : http://wccftech.com/skylake-does-not-support-ddr3-damage-ddr3l-only/

You won't see anyone confirming because there's too few using DDR3 with such new processors, and there's even fewer who use ddr3 memories with more than 1.35v (because they can read and buy what's correct) and like I said, the damage is not instant, it's long term (weeks to months). The processors are too new for such problems to manifest, and even if someone has problems, they may just rma the memory or motherboard before considering the processor is faulty.