Planning for a RYZEN Rig

1. Budget & Location

Here are the parts I currently have picked out:

Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero X370

CPU: RYZEN 7 1700X (A bit of a placeholder until the R 5 series comes out)

Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2666 Desktop Memory

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i V2

Everything else will either be bought this year or reused from the current rig.

Total Price on Newegg is: $994.95 in US Dollars which is where I'm located at. Alabama to be even more precise.

I'd like to spend between $800 and $900 if possible tho so I'm more than happy to change out things like the CPU which I'm planning to anyway for an R5 1600X.

2. Aim

The aim of this rig will remain the same as my current one which is mostly gaming, web browsing and watching videos on YouTube.

3. Monitors

Probably just stick to a single monitor setup for now which an Acer 23.5 "borderless" Monitor which runs at 1080p 60 FPS.

4. Peripherals

Yup, I'll only need Windows 10 tho, everything else is covered

5. Why are you upgrading?

Why? Just getting that RYZEN itch mostly. :P Really excited to be getting into PCI-Express 3.0. DDR4 Memory and NVMe drives. :D

My only real question is this: Would a lowest end R7 CPU like the R7 1700 be better or worse for gaming than something like the R5 1600X?

Edited by Kagetora34
Changed the liquid cooler

for gaming i wouldn't use ryzen, it seems like ryzen is only good for multithreaded apps like video editing or rendering

If it's for gaming I would wait for Ryzen 5.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Ryzen 5 would be better for gaming because less cores means less heat which means better overclocking.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, gtx1060=value said:

for gaming i wouldn't use ryzen, it seems like ryzen is only good for multithreaded apps like video editing or rendering

I think the current ones are but the R5 CPUs should be more tiered for gaming. It'd be better than my current system which is an AM3/AM3+ system with an FX-8320, 8GB of DDR3 ram at 1866 and an R9 280 3GB OC card from Sapphire all on a Gigabyte 970A-DS3P motherboard.

1 minute ago, ivan134 said:

Ryzen 5 would be better for gaming because less cores means less heat which means better overclocking.

Then I was right in my original thinking then. :) Thank you for confirming that. Any idea how long off we might be from the Ryzen 5 launch?

3 minutes ago, Kagetora34 said:

Then I was right in my original thinking then. :) Thank you for confirming that. Any idea how long off we might be from the Ryzen 5 launch?

while that is true, the base clock is still very low compared  to the 6700 or 7700k - for gaming i would still go with intel

3 minutes ago, Kagetora34 said:

I believe it's in Q2. So any time from April to June.

For more quality gaming, it's i7-7700K all the way, all day long.

Midnight Rig - CPU: i7-7700K / Cooler: Corsair h100i V2 / Motherboard: AsRock Z270 Taichi / RAM: G.Skill TridentZ 3200Mhz / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 / SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200rpm / PSU: EVGA Supernova B2 750W

2 hours ago, gtx1060=value said:

Unless he's going to stream to, then get a better CPU for gaming only! I chose the 1700x after i sold my 6900k (Only was a month old) i netted about 500 (sold it for 900) usd for my cpu and another 200 for the mobo! It may perform less than the 6900k but it gives me the results im happy for my AE and ZBrush-R7.  My old 6700k was better for gaming but couldn't do jack crap for streaming or Zbrush! My old 8320 system would crash @ times with around 5 million verticies!

46 minutes ago, Masteryodi1980 said:

Unless he's going to stream to, then get a better CPU for gaming only! I chose the 1700x after i sold my 6900k (Only was a month old) i netted about 500 (sold it for 900) usd for my cpu and another 200 for the mobo! It may perform less than the 6900k but it gives me the results im happy for my AE and ZBrush-R7.  My old 6700k was better for gaming but couldn't do jack crap for streaming or Zbrush! My old 8320 system would crash @ times with around 5 million verticies!

WOW! Good thing I never tried that with mine, that's the exact processor I have now. :| It's a good CPU and all but runs pretty hot. :( I'm probably going to step down into the mid-range R5 models when they come out because I don't really do anything like streaming or content creation as I'm not really set up for it. Tho I really like that particular Motherboard and the placement of things like plenty of fan connectors and the location of the NVMe/M.2 slot.

Plus the colors. :P

21 hours ago, gtx1060=value said:

while that is true, the base clock is still very low compared  to the 6700 or 7700k - for gaming i would still go with intel

True, very true. :) and I'm not turned off to buying Intel as I care more about performance than Fan-Boy shenanigans. So yea, if when the other Ryzen chips come out, the performance is still lacking, then I'll consider jumping ship over to Intel. Probably something like Intel CPU with Nvidia or AMD GPU would make for a good mix. What's funny is I already have an Intel parts list ready to go if I ever wanted to go that route. It has an I5 6600K and Z170 motherboard.

So yes, for everyone saying go Intel, I do have a backup plan! xD

Link to it is here: https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=23527689

Could probably push it up to an I7 but not entirely sure on that.