Windows 10 Question

Kagetora34

So I'm planning on updating my system to RYZEN within the next few years and was wondering if Windows 10 had the ability to auto-detect new hardware in the way of new CPU, Motherboard and memory or if a fresh Windows 10 install would be required. I'm currently using Windows 10 via the free upgrade we all got last year so if a fresh install would be needed, then I'd more than likely need to buy a new copy of Windows 10. If not then I can drop it and shave a bit off the price tag.

Just thought I'd post this question as I am curious just how far Windows can automatically detect in terms of new hardware.

yup easily, don't worry. in the worst case scenario download all drivers from the manufacturers website. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

yup easily, don't worry. in the worst case scenario download all drivers from the manufacturers website. 

Cool! So I don't need to buy the Windows 10 CD as long as I plan to reuse my storage drives? Which I do indeed intend to do just that. :P Thanks for the info.

Always try to use manufacturer drivers rather than generic. Just because W10 picks up most drivers doesn't necessarily mean they're the best to use.

Oh and in regard to licensing, if your current license is from the free upgrade when you change your hardware it will require you to buy a new license.

Just now, wilamu said:

Always try to use manufacturer drivers rather than generic. Just because W10 picks up most drivers doesn't necessarily mean they're the best to use.

I do. What I was asking was about the hardware side like if I were to upgrade to the new AMD stuff (which I plan to do at some point) will I need tto buy a new copy of Windows 10 or will it auto detect the new motherboard and CPU?

1 minute ago, wilamu said:

Oh and in regard to licensing, if your current license is from the free upgrade when you change your hardware it will require you to buy a new license.

Ah. That's what I was wanting to know so thanks for the info.

Just now, Kagetora34 said:

I do. What I was asking was about the hardware side like if I were to upgrade to the new AMD stuff (which I plan to do at some point) will I need tto buy a new copy of Windows 10 or will it auto detect the new motherboard and CPU?

Oh you meant storage drives. Sorry I saw drivers and thought you meant the other thing :) 

I just replied about licensing ^^

Just now, wilamu said:

Oh you meant storage drives. Sorry I saw drivers and thought you meant the other thing :) 

I just replied about licensing ^^

Yup, I'll make sure to get a new license when upgrading to RYZEN then. Thanks a bunch guys. :)

Just found this link that explains it pretty well albeit a little confusing. It all depends if your current version(pre-Windows 10 update) is OEM or retail. My reply assumes OEM.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-upgrading-motherboard-after-upgrading-to/a26e93c4-6886-4b44-99cf-7bf49ccba6ee?auth=1

This is the part you want: 

"What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM licenses this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it."

3 minutes ago, wilamu said:

Just found this link that explains it pretty well albeit a little confusing. It all depends if your current version is OEM or retail. My reply assumes OEM.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-upgrading-motherboard-after-upgrading-to/a26e93c4-6886-4b44-99cf-7bf49ccba6ee?auth=1

This is the part you want: 

"What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM licenses this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it."

I see and I do believe the version of 8.1 I bought was the OEM version as it didn't come in the box but more of an envelope type of thing. So only retail copies carry over it seems.