Which 1080ti for a custom loop?

So I want to get into customer water cooling now that the 1080ti is coming out, I know you want to buy Founders Edition cards for it, but is it best to buy a straight Nvidia one or is it better to go for say an ASUS Founders Edition?

Whatever is cheapest, they will all be the same. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

With the advent of GPU Boost 3.0, cards tend to clock themselves as high as they can regardless of factory settings. If you're throwing a block on it, I don't believe the manufacturer is going to matter. But that's just my opinion, I have 2 reserved from Nvidia :)

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

2 minutes ago, suits said:

So I want to get into customer water cooling now that the 1080ti is coming out, I know you want to buy Founders Edition cards for it, but is it best to buy a straight Nvidia one or is it better to go for say an ASUS Founders Edition?

The manufacturer doesn't matter you just want to make sure the pcb is the founders edition design

FE cards are all virtually identical, get the cheapest. Or maybe get one from EVGA as they tend to have good warranty support as long as you put the stock cooler back on

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

The Founder's Edition will probably have some water blocks first, plus it will likely be the first 1080Ti, and probably be followed with aftermarket counter parts 2 weeks to a month after.

2 minutes ago, screamXrawr said:

The manufacturer doesn't matter you just want to make sure the pcb is the founders edition design

Initially, yes, but eventually, some AiB designs also get water blocks.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Just now, Drak3 said:

Some board partners even sell waterblocked cards, like MSI and Gigabyte

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

7 minutes ago, DaftBehemoth said:

With the advent of GPU Boost 3.0, cards tend to clock themselves as high as they can regardless of factory settings. If you're throwing a block on it, I don't believe the manufacturer is going to matter. But that's just my opinion, I have 2 reserved from Nvidia :)

personally i wouldn't fuse two graphics cards together, its much wiser if you train one card alone and achieve a new form

Just now, bakidota said:

personally i wouldn't fuse two graphics cards together, its much wiser if you train one card alone and achieve a new form

??????

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

Just now, Drak3 said:

The Founder's Edition will probably have some water blocks first, plus it will likely be the first 1080Ti, and probably be followed with aftermarket counter parts 2 weeks to a month after.

true. you just want to be sure to double check that there is going to be a waterblock available for your card because not all the aftermarket ones get them. Founders will always get one though.

Just now, screamXrawr said:

true. you just want to be sure to double check that there is going to be a waterblock available for your card because not all the aftermarket ones get them. Founders will always get one though.

And then there's the option to just get the GPU block, and not a full cover clock. The VRM and VRAM still need some form of cooling, but it's a decent option for cards without WB options.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

6 minutes ago, screamXrawr said:

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

And then there's the option to just get the GPU block, and not a full cover clock. The VRM and VRAM still need some form of cooling, but it's a decent option for cards without WB options.

The current Titan XP block from EK is confirmed to already fit the FE 1080TI (it's basically the same card with one less VRAM module).

Corsair 900D | MSI MPower Max Z87 AC | i7-4790K @ 4.7Ghz | 1080 Ti SLI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 2400 
XSPC Raystorm | EK-FC Nickel GPU block/backplate | 2x Alphacool UT60 480mm & XT45 240mm | 11x Linus Edition NF-F12
Schiit Modi/Magni 2 Uber | 5" KRK Rokit G3 | KRK 10S2 | Acer Predator X34 | Dell S2716DG

As long as you buy a card with a reference PCB (one that's like a Founders Edition under the cooler) then you'll have an easier time finding full cover water blocks for it.

So whichever you buy, find one for a good price, just make sure to verify that it's using a reference PCB layout.

---

I always prefer EVGA for their excellent warranty, and we know the FE cards will have block availability the soonest given the Titan XP block fits it already. Always struck me as daft paying more for an AIB card and then ripping the cooler off... performance will be pretty much the same regardless, you're just paying more for a cooler than you won't use lol!

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

7 hours ago, atomicus said:

you're just paying more for a cooler than you won't use lol!

Sometimes (actually a lot of times) FE cards cost more than AIB ones

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

1 hour ago, Shiv78 said:

Sometimes (actually a lot of times) FE cards cost more than AIB ones

Well yes, that can be the case, my point was about those that obviously aren't and people shouldn't think it's better to go for a more expensive AIB card over a cheaper one when it comes to watercooling. Most important thing is warranty and that you're covered to remove the cooler to add a block, and it also makes sense to go with a reference PCB as some blocks for the AIB cards can be a bit more expensive and sometimes harder to get hold of, especially on release.

System: Ryzen 7 5800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master - Noctua D15S Chromax - 32GB 3600 RAM - EVGA Black 2080Ti

well, the "founders" overclocked better than partner cards for the 1080s

Something to consider is that there is a possibility for single slot cards to come out, as the 1080Ti dont have a DVI port blocking that.

Wont matter as much on a ATX or E-ATX board, but it will give you a lot more space on smaller motherboards.

I speak my mind, sorry if thats a problem.

2 hours ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Something to consider is that there is a possibility for single slot cards to come out

Air cooling for a 1080Ti has no possibility of fitting into 1 slot. Watercooling, however - simply Dremel off the second PCIe slot 

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

15 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Air cooling for a 1080Ti has no possibility of fitting into 1 slot. Watercooling, however - simply Dremel off the second PCIe slot 

The topic is water cooling and EK + EVGA has released blocks or cards with the option to go single slot before.

The problem with using the dremel method, is that your warranty goes the way of the 2nd pci slot. Yes, some companies allows you to change the cooler without effecting warranty.

3 hours ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

Something to consider is that there is a possibility for single slot cards to come out, as the 1080Ti dont have a DVI port blocking that.

Wont matter as much on a ATX or E-ATX board, but it will give you a lot more space on smaller motherboards.

I'm going to be replacing my 1080 AIO so size isn't really an issue

35 minutes ago, OddsCrazyStuff said:

The problem with using the dremel method, is that your warranty goes the way of the 2nd pci slot.

Can't you just get another PCIe bracket for the card since they are detachable? I'm sure you can get one from the manufacturer.

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

OTHER TECH I OWN:

36 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

Can't you just get another PCIe bracket for the card since they are detachable? I'm sure you can get one from the manufacturer.

Just did a quick search on Ebay, found nothing. So guess you cant get new PCI brackets for GPUs.