980 or 1060 6gb

Dylanc1500

I am currently in a conundrum. I live 10 minutes from a Micro Center and currently they have a brand new reference 980 for 254.99. I'm looking any reasons that I might instead want to go with the 1060 6gb or vice versa. Any other thoughts and ideas wouldn't be minded either. Thank you!

i would go with a 1060 because its the latest gen. can't really go wrong though. Check videos on youtube to see how the 2 compare on the games you want to play. 

MAIN RIG | AMD R7 1800x @ 4.0GHz [cooled by Corsair h110i] | Zotac 1070 founders | Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8gb |
| ASUS crosshair IV hero | Samsung 960 evo m.2 | Seagate 1TB + WD blue 2TB| Corsair HX750i | Phanteks evlov atx TG |
LAPTOP | HP zbook Workstation | Intel i7-4710 HQ @ 2.5GHz | 8gb ram | NVIDIA Quadro k1100m | 250gb + 250gb Crucial SSDs |

1060 6GB performs in new games slightly better than the 980, they are pretty much on par in older games.

Not to mention that there is better driver support for the 1000 series.

Just now, NinJake said:

I'd go 1060 for more VRAM

I had completely forgotten about the 980 having 4gb. With newer titles using more resources I suppose that would be something to take into consideration.

Get the gtx 1060. Very similar performance but the 1060 is newer, uses less power and the extra 2gb of vram won't hurt.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

1060 6GB, because the 1060 is basically a 980 and it won't hurt to get the extra 2GB.

Plus Pascal can potentially see benefits from DX12. Maxwell can't.

This was one of the major tossing points for me. Especially with the news of the driver optimizations for the pascal line-up. 

Do do you know if the 1060 is supposed to drop in price along with the 1080 and 1070? It's not a major factor but if I can save 20 to 50 dollars, you know, why not. However I don't know when the projected date is for the lowering. If it's within a couple weeks I'll wait.

6 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

This was one of the major tossing points for me. Especially with the news of the driver optimizations for the pascal line-up. 

Do do you know if the 1060 is supposed to drop in price along with the 1080 and 1070? It's not a major factor but if I can save 20 to 50 dollars, you know, why not. However I don't know when the projected date is for the lowering. If it's within a couple weeks I'll wait.

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a price drop, but I wouldn't hold my breath either.

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Wouldn't surprise me if there's a price drop, but I wouldn't hold my breath either.

If I did that with anything in the technology industry I would never breathe.

1 hour ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Errr day?

Basically, the 1060 is a better choice.

32 minutes ago, joshov said:

Basically, the 1060 is a better choice.

I knew what you meant. It was more so making a joke from what you said. It's dead now though lol.

It's from the saying "All day. Every day"

1060. Maxwell is a dead architecture.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

5 minutes ago, ivan134 said:

1060. Maxwell is a dead architecture.

Hold on baby girl. An overclocked 980 ti is far from dead

3 minutes ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

Dead as in it has no future. Not that it doesn't perform today.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

Just now, ivan134 said:

Dead as in it has no future. Not that it doesn't perform today.

Alright I gotcha

3 hours ago, Ultra_Man52 said:

Now if I could have found that for the same price I would have bought it today.