EMERGENCY!! OBS streaming 1800x or 7700k??

EMERGENCY!! 

I planned getting the AMD R7 1800x in a few hours!!! My main reason is because my AMD FX 8350 is crap for streaming on OBS (streaming CSGO mainly and lose more than half of my frames).

However! After the new benchmarks, 7700k seems to be beating the 1800x by a lot! So my question is, will the 7700k's performance do better for streaming?? or the 1800x core count do better for streaming on OBS???

Much appreciatied!

During AMD's Ryzen event they showed that OBS streaming was better than Intel in an AMD 1700?!?!

1800x is better for streaming

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

1800x is better for streaming

Reasons???

Just now, huilun02 said:

The Ryzen 7 series have 8 core and 16 threads. Stream encoding and the game itself won't have to fight over CPU resources as much compared to 4 core 8 threads.

Very true. But is OBS streaming fighting for resources that much? I'm wondering if OBS uses more than 4 core/8 threads. If not, the 7700k would destroy the 1800x because of it's higher clock speed (5.1Ghz overclocked). I appreciate your replies already but I just need more information to feel at ease.... 

Even though this is only 1 game and it's at 4K where the GPU is generally the bottleneck. It still shows the 1800X is a better buy when you plan to stream and game at the same time. If we tested BF1 here which is known to be a very CPU demanding game, we should see the 1800X pull ahead of the 7700K in theory.

Just now, Rasecx said:

Very true. But is OBS streaming fighting for resources that much? I'm wondering if OBS uses more than 4 core/8 threads. If not, the 7700k would destroy the 1800x because of it's higher clock speed (5.1Ghz overclocked). I appreciate your replies already but I just need more information to feel at ease.... 

yes when it has to fight with games, watch the amd event it crushes streaming

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

if you are streaming with HEVC or QuickSync the 7700K is the better buy

it makes no sense to stress the CPU when the GPU encoding is better; even using the iGPU in the i7

that difference you save on 7700K can go in better video card, more memory, larger storage ... you name it

people that say 1800X is better at this because is has more cores/threads have no fucking clue what they're talking about

Thank you everyone! Please keep the information coming. From what I understand so far, the higher cores/threads will in FACT benefit me more for streaming than the 7700k with higher clock speeds.

U should see much lower game peformance hit on ryzen chip simply because it has double the cores over i7-7700k. 

I would go for ryzen or do what some streamers do. Have your old 8350 system do the streaming and use 7700k rig for gaming with no performamce issues. In case you are getting a full rig together.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

it makes no sense to stress the CPU when the GPU encoding is better; even using the iGPU in the i7

I would like to use the CPU to handle the streaming work load. You seem to favor using GPU, but do you agree that 1800x CPU would be better if i use the CPU for the work load?

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

If you're not anal about quality, you can get away with using Intel's QuickSync or NVIDIA's NVENC. AMD's ReLive might work.

Either way, you don't necessarily need more CPU cores to stream. You have other options.

My budget is $500 for just the CPU. I AM anal about quality, so I am still debating over the 7700k at $350 and the 1800x at $499. I wouldnt mind saving the $150 if the extra cores in the 1800x will do nothing for me.

11 minutes ago, Rasecx said:

I would like to use the CPU to handle the streaming work load. You seem to favor using GPU, but do you agree that 1800x CPU would be better if i use the CPU for the work load?

considering the 1800X will be performing marginally better while drawing more power and costing ~150$ more?!

for ~150 give or take you can go from GTX1070 to GTX1080 (considering the price cut)

My budget is $500 for just the CPU. I AM anal about quality,

if it's not compression at your end it will be on the service you'll be using - lower quality than what you're recording at will happen no matter what

Just now, Rasecx said:

My budget is $500 for just the CPU. I AM anal about quality, so I am still debating over the 7700k at $350 and the 1800x at $499. I wouldnt mind saving the $150 if the extra cores in the 1800x will do nothing for me.

It also depends on what quality setting you use anyway. If you're using x264's fast or very fast setting, then it looks like hardware encoders are pretty close to quality.

There's also this topic

If you're still interested OP, here's BF1. Now if you were streaming this then it's safe to say you're going to be experiencing some performance hiccups.

• 1 month later...
On 3/2/2017 at 8:08 AM, zMeul said:

that difference you save on 7700K can go in better video card, more memory, larger storage ... you name it

people that say 1800X is better at this because is has more cores/threads have no fucking clue what they're talking about

If you watched linus's video you'd know that quick sync is crap compared to software encoding.

On 3/2/2017 at 8:10 AM, Rasecx said:

No, I'd say 1700 instead, any day. 1700 overclocks as well for 2/3 the price. 1800x is not worth it.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

13 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

If you watched linus's video you'd know that quick sync is crap compared to software encoding.

Linus' video is kinda' bullshitty

he's comparing quality from what?

• the raw exports?
  • the re-encode for uploading?
  • what the twitch / YT client sees?

and then he uploads it to YT, again passing through re-encoding

let's get real, whatever you encode it at, twitch / YT will re-encode it again and god knows what quality the clients actually gets

the live WAN Show on twitch is always at a lower quality than seeing it on YT - and it's from the same source

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

• the raw exports?

let's get real, whatever you encode it at, twitch / YT will re-encode it again and god knows what quality the clients actually gets

the live WAN Show on twitch is always at a lower quality than seeing it on YT - and it's from the same source

And he says that it minimizes quality loss once it's reencoded, because there's more quality beforehand already.

You can see the QuickSync record blocking up at times. If it was better to begin with, then why would that happen?

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

And he says that it minimizes quality loss once it's reencoded, because there's more quality beforehand already.

You can see the QuickSync record blocking up at times. If it was better to begin with, then why would that happen?

I don't have time right now, Easter and all, but when I get back I plan to upload some samples on YT

11 minutes ago, zMeul said:

• the raw exports?

Twitch will only re-rencode if you're partnered and your viewers have a quality setting other than "source" selected. It's why I always tell my friends to be careful of bitrate as they might go too high for their viewers to watch.

Quicksync is just that, it's quick, it's not quality-based and so a software encoder which can take advantage of more features of a codec (motion compensation etc) will always win out. 

3 minutes ago, Pyrii said:

Twitch will only re-rencode if you're partnered and your viewers have a quality setting other than "source" selected. It's why I always tell my friends to be careful of bitrate as they might go too high for their viewers to watch.

Quicksync is just that, it's quick, it's not quality-based and so a software encoder which can take advantage of more features of a codec (motion compensation etc) will always win out. 

utter crap! if the game is high motion, both twitch and YT will fuck it up independent of the source's quality

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I don't have time right now, Easter and all, but when I get back I plan to upload some samples on YT

The fact of the matter is, quick sync requires higher bitrates than x264 to get the same quality.

NVENC is close to x264 in quality, but if you look at Linus's video it has a larger performance drop resulting in Ryzen x264 performance coming close to 7700k nvenc performance. And x264 gives you a little better quality.

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

utter crap! if the game is high motion, both twitch and YT will fuck it up independent of the source's quality

Are you saying that YT took the zoomed in encoded footage from quicksync WHILE IT WAS ON THE SAME FRAME AS OTHER FOOTAGE and messed it up independently?

Yes YT transcodes footage, that's why they recommend you encode to specific settings and upload footage at the best quality you can. LTT have been doing this for a long time and they even upload at 4K to compensate for this too.

Twitch does not do this unless you are partnered. They'd have to spend a LOT of money to buy heaps of machines for all that transcoding for the thousands of streams going on at the same time. That's why they only offer transcoding to lower bitrates for partnered streams where they'll be making money to compensate.

You really seem determined to make your theory work here that somehow Quicksync is better and everyone is wrong.

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

The fact of the matter is, quick sync requires higher bitrates than x264 to get the same quality.

NVENC is close to x264 in quality, but if you look at Linus's video it has a larger performance drop resulting in Ryzen x264 performance coming close to 7700k nvenc performance. And x264 gives you a little better quality.

and what's the problem!?

you cap the framerate at 60 and record at 60