The absolutely strangest HDMI-cable problem ever!

Kallamamran

Hello all,

Here is something for you all to chew on...

I've been experiencing the strangest god damn problem with HDMI-cables ever!

I brought my computer to work so I could try running games on three screens at once.

I've got a ASUS 1080 GTX and three 27" 1080p monitors (60hz)

First monitor was connected via DVI-DVI. Second monitor was connected HDMI-HDMI and for the last monitor I was forced to go to Mediamarkt and buy a new HDMI-cable.

I chose the cheapest one since a lot of tests online say there isn't much of a difference as long as you don't compare active vs. passive cables.

Just to be sure I purchased three of the same. I thought it would be better to use the same cable for all three monitors, but I started by trying with one.

I tested the cable and it worked fine. So did the old HDMI and the DVI-cable.

I got an image on all three monitors and all seemed to be working just fine!

Now the problem happened...

I entered the display settings and choose to expand the desktop to all screens instead of mirroring the display on all three and clicked OK.

All screens but the one connected with the MediaMarkt-cable worked, but the last screen lost the signal.

Strange, so I restarted the computer and tried to change back to mirroring, but the third screen remained dead and got no signal.

Hmmm... Did the screen die? I tried switching cables and found out... The MediaMarkt-cable was dead. The actual physical cable was broken :o

I tried it in another computer just to verify and yeah... It's dead :o

Hmmm... I switched the cable for another one of the new cables and tried the same thing again, but again... As soon as I switched to expanding the desktop to all three screens the cable broke :o 

This has to be a coincidence I thought and tried it again with the third cable, but now in a different port of the graphics card and another monitor... Same thing again :o 

To this day I have found nothing about what could be the cause! :( 

What the hell can be the cause for three(!) HDMI-cables to break when switching from mirroring the desktop to expanding the desktop.

I just don't get it. :S 

I brought the cables back to MediaMarkt and explained the problem and wanted the money back, but they said that "the cables did not support it" which should be just a stupid excuse for not giving me the money back since the cables worked just fine separately on each screen and also in the screen mirroring mode.

Please shed some light on this situation before I grow completely bald pulling my hair over this!

next time don't explain them what happened, just tell them the cable doesn't work anymore - you plugged it in, it worked and then later on it stopped

don't buy cheapo cables made on a boat in the middle of the ocean

and no, not all cables are equal - I had to plow through all Europe to find a fucking HDMI Premium Certified cable for 2160p@60Hz

---

heard Amazon Basics are quite good: https://www.amazon.de/AmazonBasics-Hochgeschwindigkeits-HDMI-Kabel-2-0-Ethernet-4K-Videowiedergabe/dp/B014I8SSD0/ref=sr_1_2?s=ce-de&ie=UTF8&qid=1488362744&sr=1-2&keywords=hdmi&th=1

not for HDR 18Gbps+ stuff, but for normal use they're OK

These products are so simple and have bad margins for the manufacturer. In developing countries they will cut corners to complete a shipment. I imagine your cheap cable did not get tested properly

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_