low CSGO framerate

DiamondShark286

I recently built a new computer and after using it for a few months i have noticed really low csgo framerates. I have a RX 480 and my cpu is a  AMD athlon x4 860k(very low end i know) but average frame rate is about 70 fps. the cpu is only around 70% when i am gaming and looking a gpu usage it usually isn't even close to the max and is always spikes between 0% and 60% to 80%. I know games don't put a constant load on the gpu but that seems ridiculous. I checked all my drivers are up to date also. any help would be appreciated. 

2 minutes ago, NinJake said:

70fps isn't necessarily a low fps. Unless you have a 144hz monitor it doesn't really matter. @Tb428

It is for CS GO. 

1 minute ago, NinJake said:

70fps isn't necessarily a low fps. Unless you have a 144hz monitor it doesn't really matter. @Tb428

i know but i still expected more and when using vsync i get huge drops to below 30 fps on my 60Hz monitor. and the frame rate doesn't seem to change when i turn down the quality from high to low

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

It is for CS GO. 

It's low for a game that can easily push 300+ fps for higher end systems... but once again, unless his monitor is capable of 60+ hz then there's no big difference. I also blame the cpu for "lower" fps in this case. But it is not "unplayable" by any means.

Just now, NinJake said:

It's low for a game that can easily push 300+ fps for higher end systems... but once again, unless his monitor is capable of 60+ hz then there's no big difference. I also blame the cpu for "lower" fps in this case. But it is not "unplayable" by any means.

There is a huge difference between 60fps and 120fps even on a 60Hz monitor. 

No CSGO is a competetive game. There is no playable/unplayable in this. 

Just now, Tb428 said:

and the frame rate doesn't seem to change when i turn down the quality from high to low

Your GPU is rendering the textures and what not. Your cpu is physics based and certain objects. Your cpu is keeping up, but just barely.

1 minute ago, UMxMarky94 said:

what is the RAM usage ? i would lean close to it being a old cpu tho

about 4-5gb out of 8

CSGO is heavy on CPU, but It doesnt seem to be the problem since It never runs above 80%. you can try anyway to run JUSt the CSGO ans see If that helps. Anyway, have you enables multicore rendering? It might also be the issue, try those options. 

Edit: I have a 4690 (locked) + 760 and i can run it at almost 200 fps

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Source?

Your GPU is rendering the textures and what not. Your cpu is physics based and certain objects. Your cpu is keeping up, but just barely.

would overclocking the cpu help at all i would have expected the cpu to be at 80-90% if it was bottlenecking the gpu

1 minute ago, Maxinfamily said:

CSGO is heavy on CPU, but It doesnt seem to be the problem since It never runs above 80%. you can try anyway to run JUSt the CSGO ans see If that helps. Anyway, have you enables multicore rendering? It might also be the issue, try those options. 

yes i have enabled that and none of the cores went that high(at least in task manager)

Just now, NinJake said:

Source?

You just need to play the damn game and you can tell

Just now, Tb428 said:

yes i have enabled that and none of the cores went that high(at least in task manager)

So drivers are up to date. Have you tried fps max like @frozeNNN suggested?

Also try older CS GO versions see if there is any improvement

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

No CSGO is a competetive game. There is no playable/unplayable in this. 

How is that so? The monitor only shows 60 images per second, how can you benefit from more fps being produced?

Lol I've played CSGO for many years. Not anymore, but especially back on my previous PC's where I didn't have decent pc specs. Sure the game can be competitive, but it's not gamebreaking to play at 70fps on a 60hz monitor.

3 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

would overclocking the cpu help at all i would have expected the cpu to be at 80-90% if it was bottlenecking the gpu

Yes I would OC your cpu if you can keep it cool enough while OC'd.

So drivers are up to date. Have you tried fps max like @frozeNNN suggested?

Also try older CS GO versions see if there is any improvement

how would i get an older version I also have this problem or similar with other games also. even Minecraft runs at like 120 fps and has huge frame drops

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

He sais he cant prove thats is not a "placebo" :/. Im not trying to make a fool out of you (I dont know how to say It other way n.n'), I also play CSGO, and Im just wondering what optimal settings are.

Lol I've played CSGO for many years. Not anymore, but especially back on my previous PC's where I didn't have decent pc specs. Sure the game can be competitive, but it's not gamebreaking to play at 70fps on a 60hz monitor.

wouldn't mind 70fps but it's the huge frame rate drops i get and i get some tearing without vsync so i would like that to not drop to 30 fps.

Just now, Tb428 said:

how would i get an older version I also have this problem or similar with other games also. even Minecraft runs at like 120 fps and has huge frame drops

Go to Steam, CS GO properties and go to BETAS tab. Select older ones

1 minute ago, Maxinfamily said:

He sais he cant prove thats is not a "placebo" :/. Im not trying to make a fool out of you (I dont know how to say It other way n.n'), I also play CSGO, and Im just wondering what optimal settings are.

not sure about this but the higher frame rate might help by having a very updated frame ready when the monitor needs it not an old frame.

Just now, Tb428 said:

wouldn't mind 70fps but it's the huge frame rate drops i get and i get some tearing without vsync so i would like that to not drop to 30 fps.

2 minutes ago, Tb428 said:

Minecraft is also very CPU dependant. Honestly the easiest fix is an expensive fix and I would try to upgrade your cpu. Maybe wait until RYZEN though if the hype lives up to what we've seen and been shown so far.

Otherwise try that OC, or you'll have to deal with fps drops during heavy cpu loads. It might stay around 60-80% usage most of the time, but my guess is if your cpu ever jumps to 95-100% then that is where you are experiencing the v-sync drop to 30fps until the CPU "recovers" back to it's normal usage.

3 minutes ago, Maxinfamily said:

deXxterlab97 has a point nonetheless even on a 60hz monitor the more fps you get the less mouse input lag you will feel, if you are playing with the awp for example that can do a noticeable difference getting your aim on the target quicker, then again play CsGO with anything below 75hz is a no go, you will end up too frustrated that people can react to you sooner than you can react to them.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)