Should i get the switch?

LyricalRain018

Should i build a 1440p build or a 1080p build and a switch?

P.S. I haven't played any zelda game, and if i get the switch, i will get zelda.

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES Do get the switch.

You're not gonna build a gaming PC on 300$ unless its used.

edited: for less yessess

Sure, if you want. I have never regretted getting a Nintendo console tbh and it does look really cool.

Plus, it's pretty easy to upgrade to a PC later.

3 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

-snip-

one 'yes' didn't suffice?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Minibois said:

Sure, if you want. I have never regretted getting a Nintendo console tbh and it does look really cool.

one 'yes' didn't suffice?

haha IM VERY EXCITED FOR MY SWITCH TO COME!

3 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

YES Do get the switch.

You're not gonna build a gaming PC on 300$ unless its used.

Please don't put that many "yes"s. Some of us don't have multi-thousand dollar machines that can render all those. My computer almost bluescreened from them. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

If you feel that you would get a lot of enjoyment out of it, then sure. It's up to you really, because we don't know how often you'll play on it and what-not. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Please don't put that many "yes"s. Some of us don't have multi-thousand dollar machines that can render all those. My computer almost bluescreened from them. 

2 minutes ago, phongle123 said:

haha IM VERY EXCITED FOR MY SWITCH TO COME!

or someone is using a god damn phone and have to scroll through all of that 

8 minutes ago, LyricalRain018 said:

Should i build a 1440p build or a 1080p build and a switch?

P.S. I haven't played any zelda game, and if i get the switch, i will get zelda.

I'd get a 1440p build tbh. 

Just now, deXxterlab97 said:

or someone is using a god damn phone and have to scroll through all of that 

That's why I'm (somewhat) glad to be on a PC right now. Although it is a pretty shitty one. 

I would say get a 1080P build and a switch you get more games that you can play and you can upgrade the PC in the future.

Also didnt you made a similar thread about the same thing?

15 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

That's why I'm (somewhat) glad to be on a PC right now. Although it is a pretty shitty one. 

When Ryzen 3 comes out. It might look like a lot of ppl can get good PCs for low costs. But the Motherboard would still cost the same as the CPU itself.

1080P and a Switch, easily.

I've used 1440p, though it is sharper, it's nothing too amazing. Not to mention a 1070 won't max games at that resolution.

The only reason to buy a switch is for the exclusive Nintendo Games. If you like Mario, Zelda, Xenoblades, Splatoon et cetera, then pick up the Switch! If not, go for your 1440p build.

Maybe it's me but I wouldn't pick a 1440p build at all. I have a 1080p build and I'm waiting on the moment when 4k become more adopted.

I'm trying to restrain myself, im honestly sick of buying Nintendo consoles simply because i love a certain game franchise, i play the one game i wanted it for then it gathers dust for years until i finally either give it away or trade it in for a pittance at Gamestop.  I plan to just watch a multi-part play-through with no commentary.  If it had Netflix and i could use it to watch movies in bed at night once im done playing Zelda i probably would but oh well. 

I would say 1080p pc and that's it. 

A lot of 

my friends who are Nintendo fan boys are skeptical (but in traditional fan boy fashion they all bought it anyway) because it doesn't have a lot of games for release nor are many officially scheduled. I would wait if anything. 

Is Zelda even a launch title? I heard it's not. Same as the Mario game. 

If its not the console could POTENTIALLY (not guarantee) go down in price. Similarly the Xbox one dropped 200~ dollars a few months or year after launch because everyone bought a PS4 or switched to PC gaming. 

Edit;

i don't like 1440 pcs as many games and media have black bars, or letter box (black on sides, top and bottom of what's being shown) and then your frame rate is also lower because you need to show more on screen. Over time I've become more seceptibal to getting sick over lower frame rates and lower quality visuals. (I used to call 7 fps playable. Now 35 is sometimes diseing) 

@fpo

So far at launch in the US the Switch is going to have:

1-2 Switch

Fast RMX

Human Resource Machine

I Am Setsuna

Just Dance 2017

Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Little Inferno

New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers

Shovel Knight

Skylanders

Snipperclips

World of Goo

And within the first month it is confirmed to be getting:

The Binding of Isaac: Afterbirth+

Pocket Rumble

Blaster Master Zero

VOEZ

Has-Been Heroes

Snake Pass

Most of them are indie titles rather than full releases and some have been out for a quite while on other platforms. But even so it's nowhere near as bleak as some are painting it to be. On day 1 you can get Zelda and download say Snipperclips, I Am Setsuna and Fast RMX. Between those you have a large open world adventure game, a co-op puzzle game, a traditional 2D RPG and a fast paced arcade racing game. Get Pocket Rumble and Blaster Master Zero the next week? Now you have a 2D Neo Geo style fighting game and an old-school NES style platformer. 

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

They are both great system. Both are similarly specs but different purposes.

One is a great box especially if you don't have a smart TV (or a good one), and can stream PC gaming from your gaming PC to your TV. While the other is a hybrid gaming system, which while far from the XBox One performance, it is still more powerful than the WiiU (I think this highlights how shit the PowerPC chip was, and AMD low-end custom GPU for the WiiU was)

In terms of games that be acquired, the Switch will have more games. Even if the Switch sells like the WiiU, I THINK (I have no figures), the WiiU sold more than the Shield. If it did sell that much, you can bet Nvidia would be talking about it front and center, and not cancel its updated Shield tablet  (which probably would have a Tegra X1, same as the Switch.. maybe more downclocked if they wanted to keep the same thinnest as the older model).

Why ťhe rush to buy the Switch? I don't get all those people itching to get the console day one for one game. One. Game. This is suicidal imo. What if the library never takes off? What if third party games are still non existent? What if only a couple of games are worth the investment during the upcoming months? Remember the Wii U people, as well as the track record of Nintendo in general.

I get it, some people really love a handful of Nintendo franchises. I myself always loved Zelda and Pokemon on Gameboy. Loved them, really. But I didn't buy a console for the sole purpose of playing a couple of those games. I'd wait to see if it's worth the investment if I were you! 

CPU : i7 8700k @5GHz, GPU : ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX, RAM : 2x8Go 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance, MB : ASUS Prime Z370-A, PSU : CM V850, Case :  NZXT S340, CPU Cooler : NZXT Kraken x62, Monitor : Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p 165Hz, OS : Windows 10 Home 64 bits  

12 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

Why ťhe rush to buy the Switch? I don't get all those people itching to get the console day one for one game. One. Game. This is suicidal imo. What if the library never takes off? What if third party games are still non existent? What if only a couple of games are worth the investment during the upcoming months? Remember the Wii U people, as well as the track record of Nintendo in general.

Even if the console is an Atari 2600, if it sales well, expect AAA games. Many people are interested the Switch and want to get it day one, to play a game they have been waiting for a very long time. Imagine if Half Life 3 finally comes out, but needs a GeForce 1080 Ti... I can tell you, lots of people will run and buy that GPU for that game. How silly as it sounds, I like to see it as a pressure cooker.. where the more times passes, the more people really wants it. Of course wait to much, then few will care (pressure cooker exploded.. too much pressure built-up inside).

Anyway, The system has a wide variety of excellent indie titles coming for it, and other games coming soon in the coming months. People are at awe with system as it allows people to play the games they really want, anywhere in the home, or even outside. It really brings the Nvidia Shield (that all PC gamers were impressed and excited about it, but could not justify jumping and buying due to the very limited library of games, and not worth spending all this money for a system to stream their PC games anywhere. And many PC games don't translate well to controllers), with the power of Nintendo. It does loose PC game streaming. I mean if Microsoft made it over Nintendo, it would have it, most likely. But then you'll lose exclusive titles... an issue that the XBox One has as the company keep closing its own studios.

The console will sell well. People know about it, Nintendo is not only advertising the system, but communicating the system well. (yea, go figure! Something of a big issue with the WiiU.. it was like Nintendo wired Microsoft marketing team to advertise the WiiU...)

12 minutes ago, roylapoutre said:

I get it, some people really love a handful of Nintendo franchises. I myself always loved Zelda and Pokemon on Gameboy. Loved them, really. But I didn't buy a console for the sole purpose of playing a couple of those games. I'd wait to see if it's worth the investment if I were you! 

Some people have the money and really wants it. For me, I want it. I am interested in it. But in Canada the console is 100$ more, and accessories are 10$ more than in the US, due to our lovely currency value. Sadly, my pay check isn't affected by the dropping Canadian currency. That means I need a lot more to justify the purchase. 300$ yea no problem.. 250$ (if it was), direct impulse buy for most and myself. 400$ (Canadian price), ouch... I am waiting for a bundle. Personally, I expect that this holiday season, Nintendo will release a bundle game. HOPEFULLY, not 1-2-Switch garbage game, but MK8 or Spatoon 2 would be interesting. MK8 is a game I already have on the WiiU.. I can't buy it again, the battle mode and dual weapon is not enough. So having it "free" AAA title, I am willing to take it. Spatoon 2 new game, didn't play the first one, not sure I'll like it, having it for free is welcomed. 1-2 Switch should be bundled regardless, and I would not even see it as a bundled game package. Beside the ... maybe 5 mini-games inside, I just don't see any reason it should cost AT MOST $10. It's a tech demo, that is less of a demo than Nintendoland, and it looked like that Nintendoland was more fun... at least Nintendo didn't spend a whole E3 presentation talking about 1-2-Switch like they pretty much did for Nintendoland :sigh:.  Anyway.... and by the holiday period, the console will have a nice library of titles worth buying, and many new games looking forward to get from third party devs, and Nintendo.

What I'll agree, is that the system DEFINITELY a soft launch. Like nothing is really done. Questions still needs to be answered. We know nothing about the online service, what feature it has, how much it will cost.. nothing... The system OS is barebone. And things are so far behind that Nintendo can't even say a word about anything. But waiting until the end of the year to sale the system, really means releasing the system at the same time as the XBox Scorpio... sales will be divided. No one will buy a PS4 Pro priced (at best) XBox Scorpio AND a Switch. SO they were forced for a March release. And a cleaver month... why? Earlier... doesn't work.. people have no money... the holidays past. After.. well summer is a poor time to release video games, most go on trips. The Switch being released in March, before summer, allows people to buy it, and plan to use it in their coming up trip, pushing the sale of the system as well.. cleaver if you ask me.