new ssd same size?

Jevnaker

Hi i was thinking of getting an ssd for booting my pc because it is so slow when booting into windows. would the ssd need to be the same size as the hdd i use now or can it be smaller and just transfer windows and boot stuff?

You would want an SSD for booting, and not storage if you have desktop. SSD only come in 2.5" for SATA.

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

You would want an SSD for booting, and not storage if you have desktop. SSD only come in 2.5" for SATA.

ok i was looking into some ssd same size as my current boot drive but it was so expensive it is for an desktop computer i forgot to mention this sorry.

no, you can have a 240gb SSD and a 1tb hdd just fine.

I'd suggest putting windows and frequently used programs on the SSD (chrome, steam and stuff), as well as a few games that take a long time to load. All your other extraneous files can go on the HDD.

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

1 minute ago, shadowbyte said:

no, you can have a 240gb SSD and a 1tb hdd just fine.

I'd suggest putting windows and frequently used programs on the SSD (chrome, steam and stuff), as well as a few games that take a long time to load. All your other extraneous files can go on the HDD.

only have one game that to me is weird in the loading and that is swtor that is more its slow loading when i alt tab back to it in fullscreen so i run that in borderless windowed mode except that i am happy with my game loadings. it is more the slow windows loading i am concerned with.

Just now, Jevnaker said:

only have one game that to me is weird in the loading and that is swtor that is more its slow loading when i alt tab back to it in fullscreen so i run that in borderless windowed mode except that i am happy with my game loadings. it is more the slow windows loading i am concerned with.

it'll be sped up tremendously 

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

6 minutes ago, Jevnaker said:

Hi i was thinking of getting an ssd for booting my pc because it is so slow when booting into windows. would the ssd need to be the same size as the hdd i use now or can it be smaller and just transfer windows and boot stuff?

If the data that's on the hard drive is smaller than the SSD's formatted capacity, you can transfer everything over using a cloning program, but upgrading to an SSD would give you the opportunity to perform a fresh install of Windows, or upgrade to a newer version. The fresh installation is certainly recommended, and you can just delete all the Windows based stuff off the hard drive, and leave all the media files. Cloning will require that you transfer everything over, not just Windows files.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 minutes ago, JDE said:

SSD only come in 2.5" for SATA

Eh, not really. You CAN get 3.5" ones but they are wayyyyyyyyyy overpriced, and you can also get M.2 ones :D

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

my current hdd is 931 gb that is the booter one. and i am staying in windows 7. and and an ssd around that size here is about 4000+- nok

Just now, Jevnaker said:

my current hdd is 931 gb that is the booter one. and i am staying in windows 7. and and an ssd around that size here is about 4000+- nok

How much space is being consumed on the hard drive?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

How much space is being consumed on the hard drive?

134gb free right now

Just now, Jevnaker said:

134gb free right now

Then a straight clone will not work. You will need to perform a fresh installation of Windows.

Then a straight clone will not work. You will need to perform a fresh installation of Windows.

ok how does that work in relation to stuff i have on the current hdd and in relation to the code for my windows version?

Just now, Jevnaker said:

ok how does that work in relation to stuff i have on the current hdd and in relation to the code for my windows version?

As long as everything else is remaining the same(mostly the motherboard), the code should be able to be used again. The hard drive can remain the way it is, but when you install Windows, disconnect the hard drive to prevent Windows from screwing with it. If you go through the installation process with the hard drive connected, Windows might install a System Reserved partition there instead of the SSD, and effectively the hard drive will be tied to the system. If the drive dies, or otherwise becomes disconnected from the system, Windows may not be able to boot. 

Once everything is done, you can reconnect the hard drive(if you don't have hot-swapping enabled, turn the system off and reconnect the drive), and delete all the Windows stuff off of it and use it as a normal drive.

ok ty i just find the folder named windows afterwards and press delte then or is there some special steps?

Just now, Jevnaker said:

ok ty i just find the folder named windows afterwards and press delte then or is there some special steps?

Delete the Windows folder, Temp folder, and the Users folder. Hopefully you'll have permission to do it, but if not, you can back up everything to an external device and format the internal hard drive.

The programs that you currently have installed might still be usable on the hard drive, but deleting the Users folder might delete some required items that are lurking in there like any saved files for video games. If you're using Steam, you shouldn't have any issues there, but certain Steam games may not support Steam Cloud, or if you're using Origin, they may also not support the cloud feature(and make sure you have it enabled as well to prevent future headaches).

Delete the Windows folder, Temp folder, and the Users folder. Hopefully you'll have permission to do it, but if not, you can back up everything to an external device and format the internal hard drive.

The programs that you currently have installed might still be usable on the hard drive, but deleting the Users folder might delete some required items that are lurking in there like any saved files for video games. If you're using Steam, you shouldn't have any issues there, but certain Steam games may not support Steam Cloud, or if you're using Origin, they may also not support the cloud feature(and make sure you have it enabled as well to prevent future headaches).

just uninstalled the only  game i had on the pc via origin ie bf1 so no worries there. should an ssd between 200-399gb be enough? and is there any manufacturerers i should stay away from?

3 minutes ago, Jevnaker said:

just uninstalled the only  game i had on the pc via origin ie bf1 so no worries there. should an ssd between 200-399gb be enough? and is there any manufacturerers i should stay away from?

I'm not sure what SSD capacities you'll find on the market(they probably go all over the place), but I would keep the range between 240GB and 480GB, especially if you plan on installing larger games onto the SSD in the future. As far as manufacturers are concerned, there isn't one that really stands out to me, but as with all products, reviews from websites such as Anandtech, Hardware Canucks, and TechPowerUp are your friend. 

Kingston and OCZ both have made SSDs that kinda sucked, and I think for Kingston, that was some V series drive.

looking at some by corsair and some by crucial

Edited by Jevnaker
i removed wd fromt he running

27 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I'm not sure what SSD capacities you'll find on the market(they probably go all over the place), but I would keep the range between 240GB and 480GB, especially if you plan on installing larger games onto the SSD in the future. As far as manufacturers are concerned, there isn't one that really stands out to me, but as with all products, reviews from websites such as Anandtech, Hardware Canucks, and TechPowerUp are your friend. 

Kingston and OCZ both have made SSDs that kinda sucked, and I think for Kingston, that was some V series drive.

OCZ has also made some great ones too though.  It was sort of hit-and-miss.  Awhile back both Kingston and PNY started selling drives with asynchronous NAND, which was about half the speed (despite not updating their benchmarks).  I think they went back to synchronous NAND again, but ever since then I've been wary of them

I watch prices for a ton of SSD's (cloning is one of the services I provide for my business), and I'm currently recommending this one to people.  It's got incredibly high random 4K read speeds.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

OCZ has also made some great ones too though.  It was sort of hit-and-miss.  Awhile back both Kingston and PNY started selling drives with asynchronous NAND, which was about half the speed (despite not updating their benchmarks).  I think they went back to synchronous NAND again, but ever since then I've been wary of them

I watch prices for a ton of SSD's (cloning is one of the services I provide for my business), and I'm currently recommending this one to people.  It's got incredibly high random 4K read speeds.

That's why I stated that reviews are the OP's best friend. No manufacturer in my eyes stands out as being outright terrible. They all have made terrible products I'm sure, and reviews will help to rectify that provided that they're in-depth enough, like what TPU and Anandtech do.

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

That's why I stated that reviews are the OP's best friend. No manufacturer in my eyes stands out as being outright terrible. They all have made terrible products I'm sure, and reviews will help to rectify that provided that they're in-depth enough, like what TPU and Anandtech do.

I agree.  Most important is the recent reviews too.  The bait-and-switch habit with SSD's is shouldn't exist, but it does.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I agree.  Most important is the recent reviews too.  The bait-and-switch habit with SSD's is shouldn't exist, but it does.

looked into an samsung evo 850 something and it had a lot of good reviews but they werent sorted by date so it was like 5 from 2015 1 from 2016 and then one from 2017

11 minutes ago, Jevnaker said:

looked into an samsung evo 850 something and it had a lot of good reviews but they werent sorted by date so it was like 5 from 2015 1 from 2016 and then one from 2017

Samsung is usually top-of-the-line, and the 850 Evo line is no exception.  Take a look at the reviews on Amazon.  You can filter out reviews by a specific model too.

There is something you should keep in mind when reading reviews for either Samsung or Crucial products.  Ignore anyone who praises RAPID (on Samsung drives) or Momentum Cache (on Crucial drives).  They don't understand what those modes do, just notice a huge benchmark improvement.  All RAPID and MC do is cache data you access frequently to your RAM, a process that Windows already does on its own with Superfetch (although that's exclusive to executables).  If you're opening the same picture a million times in a row, that's going to be helpful, but chances are you won't be.  The reason people think RAPID and MC are amazing is because they fool benchmarks.  What ends up happening is it caches the benchmark files, leading to your RAM speeds being shown in the results.  There isn't any actual real-world performance improvement, just a bunch of wasted RAM.

12 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Samsung is usually top-of-the-line, and the 850 Evo line is no exception.  Take a look at the reviews on Amazon.  You can filter out reviews by a specific model too.

There is something you should keep in mind when reading reviews for either Samsung or Crucial products.  Ignore anyone who praises RAPID (on Samsung drives) or Momentum Cache (on Crucial drives).  They don't understand what those modes do, just notice a huge benchmark improvement.  All RAPID and MC do is cache data you access frequently to your RAM, a process that Windows already does on its own with Superfetch (although that's exclusive to executables).  If you're opening the same picture a million times in a row, that's going to be helpful, but chances are you won't be.  The reason people think RAPID and MC are amazing is because they fool benchmarks.  What ends up happening is it caches the benchmark files, leading to your RAM speeds being shown in the results.  There isn't any actual real-world performance improvement, just a bunch of wasted RAM.

i went on an norwegian pc builder site which also sells different stuff and it is they who built the pc i am using now and read the reviews there and eveyrbody in reviews basically said it was so much faster they didn't mention any spesific stuff like you are talking about. only negative reviews was trouble related to cloning. do you think it is compatible with my ASUS B85M-G, Socket-1150 motherboard?