i7 6800k OC results + delidding

Pachuca
53 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

-snip-

Oh, so that's what that plastic thing is. When I installed the CPU for my friend's skylake build, I had already put the CPU in the normal way (Used to 2500K mobos not having that tool) and I was looking at the motherboard box and was like what the hell is this. haha.

18 hours ago, scottyseng said:

Oh, so that's what that plastic thing is. When I installed the CPU for my friend's skylake build, I had already put the CPU in the normal way (Used to 2500K mobos not having that tool) and I was looking at the motherboard box and was like what the hell is this. haha.

Now ya know. I wouldn't have used it anyways. 

Update: I'm still hitting 100c when doing video rendering at stock speeds, but at least my system doesn't crash as often as it use to before. I think the chip is no good so I contacted intel for a replacement chip... will see how it goes.

36 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Update: I'm still hitting 100c when doing video rendering at stock speeds, but at least my system doesn't crash as often as it use to before. I think the chip is no good so I contacted intel for a replacement chip... will see how it goes.

I recently got a 6850k for 179.99 from the retail edge program. Rumor has it that these chips were leftover inventory. So I highly doubt I received an abnormal chip in regards to overclocking.

I currently am running the chip at 4.3GHZ on 1.25 Volts. My temps will touch 55C when I let a stress test run for an hour.

I have a h100i

It is very strange that your CPU is having so many issues. I wonder if it is a motherboard issue.

CPU  i7 6850k 

GPU: EVA FTW3 3080

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR +  another 1440p ultra sharp.

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | 970 Pro 500

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi  2.

Headphones: HD 6XX, Argons, HD 660S and like 9 more

35 minutes ago, Jacobsheeler said:

I recently got a 6850k for 179.99 from the retail edge program. Rumor has it that these chips were leftover inventory. So I highly doubt I received an abnormal chip in regards to overclocking.

I currently am running the chip at 4.3GHZ on 1.25 Volts. My temps will touch 55C when I let a stress test run for an hour.

I have a h100i

It is very strange that your CPU is having so many issues. I wonder if it is a motherboard issue.

i doubt it, I have the latest bios and I ran a 5820k @ 4.5ghz with 1.35 volts and never reached 80c in the same kit. This cpu has been bad from day 1 and I can't even get a stable overclock beyond 3.8 ghz. The plastic guard that the cpu comes with in the intel box was damaged when I received it. It's possible it was damaged during shipping resulting in these extreme temps and poor overclock. Anyway I'm waiting on a replacement from intel than I will know if it was a bad cpu or not.

13 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

i doubt it, I have the latest bios and I ran a 5820k @ 4.5ghz with 1.35 volts and never reached 80c in the same kit. This cpu has been bad from day 1 and I can't even get a stable overclock beyond 3.8 ghz. The plastic guard that the cpu comes with in the intel box was damaged when I received it. It's possible it was damaged during shipping resulting in these extreme temps and poor overclock. Anyway I'm waiting on a replacement from intel than I will know if it was a bad cpu or not.

Keep us posted, I am very curious about this situation.

CPU  i7 6850k 

GPU: EVA FTW3 3080

Monitor: Dell 2716DGR +  another 1440p ultra sharp.

SSD: 512GB 850 Pro | 970 Pro 500

AMP/DAC:Magni 3 + Modi  2.

Headphones: HD 6XX, Argons, HD 660S and like 9 more

update: confirmed it was a defective cpu. Received the replacement chip and it works great. Ran stress test for about 30 min and never went above 60c at stock speeds. at idle it was running at 35-40c. I even did some rendering on it and the max temp was 65c. These are normal temps and now I can attempt overclocking it. Appreciate the help from everyone. Thank you to Intel for sending a replacement unit. 

update: I hate to sound like a broken record here, but it seems the new CPU after another OC attempt is hitting high temps again. This time it's hovering around 90c when doing video rendering or stress testing. I haven't seen it hit 100c yet, but I can't figure out what's causing this problem. I don't even know where to look for clues. Everything in BIOS has been reset to default and when I tried a 4.4GHZ OC it wouldn't even boot into windows without crashing. Here are my system specs:

cpu i7 6800k

Mobo: Asus rampage v edition 10

psu corsair 760ax

memory corsair vengeance lpx 32gb

m.2 mydigitalssd bpx 480gb

gpu gtx 980ti

cpu cooling corsair h110i gtx

I have a spare mobo laying around. It's an msi x99a godlike board. I'm going to try switching everything to it to see if I'm having the same issues with the cpu temps. Actually I can use the cpu for gaming and other task that don't stress the cpu too much just fine. While gaming my temps are usually around 55-66c depending on the game of course, but I really need to do video rendering on here too. That's the entire point of going with the x99 platform for me. Anyway I really appreciate any help you guys would give because I'm running out of ideas here. 

last update: Figured out what the problem is and applied the fix. There's a BIOS setting to enable or disable EPU on Asus mobo's. It's some kind of power saving service that the mobo uses. In the Bios it says that they advise to have it disabled for any overclock. Naturally that's what I did. Well, that's the source of the heating problems I'm having. Once I switched it to enabled the replacement cpu was running like it should with 45-65c at idle-load respectively. I was even able to get a 4.2 Ghz OC @ 1.37v. It's a bit high, but seems to be working. I'm running it at 4.0 Ghz instead because that's really all I wanted in the first place. The original cpu either got fried or was broken to begin with because it still hits 100c at stock speeds.