Which 70-200 2.8 to buy

Long story short, im in need of a telephoto zoom. Im shooting with a canon 60D(may get upgraded eventually). I am having a hard time justifying the Canon 70-200 2.8L is ii because I dont shoot photos for money often and cant currently justify the ~ $2000 cost. Whats the next best alternative? I hear the sigma still has qc issues, tamron is releasing a new 70-200 next month (people seemed to like the first version despite the focus breating issue) and i could get a canon 70-200 2.8Lis mk 1 for about the same price as the third party lenses. 

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

26 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

i could get a canon 70-200 2.8Lis mk 1 for about the same price as the third party lenses

Your best option

Do you really need the f/2.8? Since the Canon 70-200 f/4L is very well priced. Especially used it's very cheap. 

But if you need the 2.8 I guess the Canon mark i is your best bet if its in the same price as the third party lenses. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

3 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

Do you really need the f/2.8? Since the Canon 70-200 f/4L is very well priced. Especially used it's very cheap. 

But if you need the 2.8 I guess the Canon mark i is your best bet if its in the same price as the third party lenses. 

I would like 2.8 as I shoot indoors a bit. I wouldve jumped on the f4 IS if i had a full frame or an apsc with cleaner higher ISO.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

5 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

I would like 2.8 as I shoot indoors a bit. I wouldve jumped on the f4 IS if i had a full frame or an apsc with cleaner higher ISO.

You won't be disappointed with a 2.8. People usually baby equipment like this anyway (like high end audio gear), so you're likely to get a used lens in good condition for a great price.

21 hours ago, Scruffy90 said:

Long story short, im in need of a telephoto zoom. Im shooting with a canon 60D(may get upgraded eventually). I am having a hard time justifying the Canon 70-200 2.8L is ii because I dont shoot photos for money often and cant currently justify the ~ $2000 cost. Whats the next best alternative? I hear the sigma still has qc issues, tamron is releasing a new 70-200 next month (people seemed to like the first version despite the focus breating issue) and i could get a canon 70-200 2.8Lis mk 1 for about the same price as the third party lenses. 

You don't really need the Canon L series 70-200 2.8.  It's one of the best 70-200 lenses for Canon, however it may not be worth the price for you.  I can tell you, from past experience, that the Sigma 70-200 2.8 (if it falls within what you can afford) is a very good lens.  So is the Canon 70-200 f/4.

Or get the version 1 of Canon 70-200 2.8.  It's one of the primary workhorse lenses for pro togs for years.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

I personally own the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 vc and it is  awesome. Tamron is a amazing third party company that preforms very closely to the official canon one for more then half the cost. Also if you need to compare lenses I use DxOMark helps me find what I need.

47 minutes ago, link955 said:

I personally own the Tamron 70-200 f2.8 vc and it is  awesome. Tamron is a amazing third party company that preforms very closely to the official canon one for more then half the cost. Also if you need to compare lenses I use DxOMark helps me find what I need.

Ive heard very good things about the Tarmon one. How bad is the focus breathing. I hear that its bothersome on the Tamron when focusing subjects closer to the minimum focusing distance.

43 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

Ive heard very good things about the Tarmon one. How bad is the focus breathing. I hear that its bothersome on the Tamron when focusing subjects closer to the minimum focusing distance.

I have had absolutely zero focus breathing problems.

I would take the Canon mk1 over the others if prices are comparable, but if difference is too high e.g. over 25%, I'd get the tamron/sigma. 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

2 hours ago, link955 said:

I have had absolutely zero focus breathing problems.

Thats good to know. I'd have to test this if I pick it up.

1 hour ago, cc143 said:

I would take the Canon mk1 over the others if prices are comparable, but if difference is too high e.g. over 25%, I'd get the tamron/sigma. 

A used 2.8 IS MK1 locally is about $1000 USD in excellent condition. So it may be my best bet. 

My opinion is  : never buy new L glass if you won't be making money with it.

I was shopping for a 70-200 as well a few months ago. It was either a f/2.8 or a f/4 IS. I kept looking on the used market and ended up finding a virtually new f/4 IS for 620€, owned for 6 months and never used, still under warranty for a year and a half, bill of sale and all.

Kn5o0K1.jpg

So if you're not in a hurry, take some time to research different markets, you might end up saving quite a bit of money. It's also worth noting that glass doesn't really age at all, if a lens has been used and cleaned properly, it will take as good photos as its first day out of the store.

5 minutes ago, Guy_guy said:

I was shopping for a 70-200 as well a few months ago. It was either a f/2.8 or a f/4 IS. I kept looking on the used market and ended up finding a virtually new f/4 IS for 620€, owned for 6 months and never used, still under warranty for a year and a half, bill of sale and all.

Kn5o0K1.jpg

So if you're not in a hurry, take some time to research different markets, you might end up saving quite a bit of money. It's also worth noting that glass doesn't really age at all, if a lens has been used and cleaned properly, it will take as good photos as its first day out of the store.

Def not getting the 2.8 L is mkii and I would get the f4 if my 60d could produce cleaner shots past 1600 iso. i doubt ill be buying new for a variety of reasons. Ive been keeping my eye on the used and grey markets as there have been pretty steep discounts on 70-200s, especially the 2.8 mk i. Next time adorama or B&H get a batch of used ones, im going to head to the store and check them out, maybe ill get lucky again and get a nearly new lens for relatively inexpensive.  

4 hours ago, Guy_guy said:

Kn5o0K1.jpg

My friend managed to find one of those you have there for like 400US, incredible cheap, barley used had went maybe max 500-1000 exposures and only brought out a few times. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"