Could I use this camera lens + a camera like a telescope?

Xanthe_2871

Would this telephoto lens work like a telescope? 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Opteka-650-1300mm-Telephoto-Lens-for-Nikon-D4-D3X-D800-D7000-D5100-D3200-D3100-/301220227484?hash=item46221fe99c:g:imkAAOSw7aBVAyiN

I'm aware that this lens is not the best but the reviews I've seen on YouTube claim it's good enough for most amateur users, and I'm not spending $800-$6000 on a Nikon lens. But, I could get a telescope for $25. I'd like to be able to save pictures of whatever I'm observing, so would this work for that? 

s-l1600.jpg

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

well 1000mm will make the moon fill the frame, at least it does on my d3100 so 1300 would get pretty close.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Maybe, but the aperture might be too narrow.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

Maybe, but the aperture might be too narrow.

Please translate for an amateur, is that something the camera and/or photoshop can compensate for? :) 

Yes, it's 2871 as in the year 2871. I traveled all this way, back in time, just to help you. And you thought your mama lied when she said you were special-_-

11 minutes ago, vorticalbox said:

well 1000mm will make the moon fill the frame, at least it does on my d3100 so 1300 would get pretty close.

Awesome, thanks :) What lens do you use? A super expensive one? :( 

3 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Please translate for an amateur, is that something the camera and/or photoshop can compensate for? :) 

The specs of the lens say f/8-f/16, so I doubt it's a constant f/8 aperture.  Going to be f/16 at the long end I guess.  You could still take photos of the moon, fill up the frame with it quite a bit.  But you may need long exposures or increased ISO.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

3 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

The specs of the lens say f/8-f/16, so I doubt it's a constant f/8 aperture.  Going to be f/16 at the long end I guess.  You could still take photos of the moon, fill up the frame with it quite a bit.  But you may need long exposures or increased ISO.

The video reviews say the aperture changes with the zoom and will max out at 1300mm so I think you're right. 

If a longer exposure is the only issue then that would be great! I don't mind that. If it needs a higher ISO then I think that would mean I'd get more noise, right? :o 

16 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

If a longer exposure is the only issue then that would be great! I don't mind that. If it needs a higher ISO then I think that would mean I'd get more noise, right? :o 

Yep, higher ISO implies more noise.

51 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Awesome, thanks :) What lens do you use? A super expensive one? :( 

no mine cost about £80 got it reduced from 140.

What camera do you have? Since a cropped body will give the eqivilent of the focal length times 1.5x. 

FX-8350 GTX760 16GB RAM 250GB SSD + 1TB HDD

"How many roads must a man walk down?" "42"

9 hours ago, xQubeZx said:

What camera do you have? Since a cropped body will give the eqivilent of the focal length times 1.5x. 

I'd be using my Nikon D3200. I have a new D3400 and no good use for the D3200 now, so I thought this could be a fun way to give the D3200 a new life.

9 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

no mine cost about £80 got it reduced from 140.

Wow. That's quite the deal!

51 minutes ago, Xanthe_2871 said:

Wow. That's quite the deal!

just check it's 800mm. I will say that past 600mm the image is soft but still very usable. You will 100% need a tripod for it.