Which Motherboard will work for my RX 480 or 7850?

MakeAMDGreatAgain

http://www.ascendtech.us/intel-lga1155-motherboard_c_mb1155.aspx

I bought the Hp Ipisb-Ch 623914-001 Motherboard last week.

Except when I put my RX 480 in (fans turns on and everything), no signal from DVI or HDMI. Checked bios for legacy boot options, etc. Only for hard drives, had no options for PCIE stuff.  I'm curious if there any cheap motherboards out there for an i7 2600 (non-k), that will work with my rx 480 or 7850...? Thanks in advance  

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

Have you updated BIOS

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Have you updated BIOS

Hmm, nope. I couldn't even find an option to upgrade the bios in the bios :-X

I think I just bought a really old mobo... lol iuno

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

1 minute ago, RainColt said:

silly question but you know we all goof, do you have it plugged into the GPU or the Motherboard?

Lol yes! In the the PCIE slot too.  The 8 pin connector is connected as well.

I tried the 7850 as well. Fan spins and everything, except it just doesn't push out a signal. Tried multiple HDMI cords (took the one that's working from my original PC I'm on now, tried the good old DVI to VGA connector, tried regular DVI, everything).

Also tried a different monitor as well. But I mean, not really the monitor's fault as the regular vga onboard thing posts, but figured I'd try. I'm stumped! 

Hows your PSU? I used to have a 7770 that would occasionally just not display anything because my cheapo psu was on its way out, and id think i used to cycle between pulling the cmos battery and the video card until it went.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

7 minutes ago, RainColt said:

Hows your PSU? I used to have a 7770 that would occasionally just not display anything because my cheapo psu was on its way out, and id think i used to cycle between pulling the cmos battery and the motherboard until it went.

PSU is a 550 OCZ Fatality. Same one I'm using right now with the 480 on my fx 6300.  I tried the cmos battery reset too actually get the mobo to post when I first got it.

Hmm.  Cannot possibly be the PSU? Does the i7 2600 use more than my fx 6300? I mean, the fans spin on the card but I don't know if that really means it's getting enough power. Do you think the PCIE slot might just be faulty? Is that normal in old mobos?

2 minutes ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

PSU is a 550 OCZ Fatality. Same one I'm using right now with the 480 on my fx 6300.  I tried the cmos battery reset too actually get the mobo to post when I first got it.

Hmm.  Cannot possibly be the PSU? Does the i7 2600 use more than my fx 6300? I mean, the fans spin on the card but I don't know if that really means it's getting enough power. Do you think the PCIE slot might just be faulty? Is that normal in old mobos?

Sounds like it's the motherboard ya

wait did you actually spend money on an i7 2600 to replace an FX 6300?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Sounds like it's the motherboard ya

wait did you actually spend money on an i7 2600 to replace an FX 6300?

Yeah, It was a used one off ebay for 100. I was looking for a cheap budget upgrade. I mean, it works.. just the mobos (with graphic cards in them) now are fucking me over it seems lol.

Can you look at that list I linked above and try to find me 1 that will work with the card? I'm scared to re-purchase the same type of board as it might just not be compatible :( 

I wouldn't purchase an OEM desktop board for any upgrade, too much proprietary firmware

if you put a card in, will it show display on either the built in graphics or the card?

17 minutes ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

Yeah, It was a used one off ebay for 100. I was looking for a cheap budget upgrade. I mean, it works.. just the mobos (with graphic cards in them) now are fucking me over it seems lol.

Can you look at that list I linked above and try to find me 1 that will work with the card? I'm scared to re-purchase the same type of board as it might just not be compatible :( 

Just stop spending money on that platform and wait for Ryzen lol, that'll be your best bet for a cheap pretty good upgrade, far faster than an i7 2600 non K, since you can overclock any of the Ryzen parts

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

I wouldn't purchase an OEM desktop board for any upgrade, too much proprietary firmware

if you put a card in, will it show display on either the built in graphics or the card?

Built in. Only the onboard vga connector will work :( 

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Just stop spending money on that platform and wait for Ryzen lol, that'll be your best bet for a cheap pretty good upgrade, far faster than an i7 2600 non K, since you can overclock any of the Ryzen parts

I just spent 100 dollars on the i7 2600 and heard it would be a huge significant upgrade from my fx 6300 though.. (like 2 weeks ago). And the R5 chips are not coming out until Q2, it's not fair for me to wait any longer I'm done waiting tbh man

sounds like you need to enable the option in UEFI or the BIOS depending on which the motherboard uses

might need to grab a copy of the manual from one of the PC's it was used in

if the BIOS didn't recognize the card/or if the slot was dead, chances are it wouldn't POST at all

4 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

sounds like you need to enable the option in UEFI or the BIOS depending on which the motherboard uses

I checked the bios, the only thing relevant to "UEFI" was the boot order. And it just showed whatever was connected to SATA 

Couldn't find any stuff related to PCI in there though. I'll google to see if I can find the pdf for the manual for that board

7 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

if the BIOS didn't recognize the card/or if the slot was dead, chances are it wouldn't POST at all

Well, it does post if the graphic card is in the slot, it just doesn't send a signal out from the dvi / hdmi port on the card

3 minutes ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

I just spent 100 dollars on the i7 2600 and heard it would be a huge significant upgrade from my fx 6300 though.. (like 2 weeks ago). And the R5 chips are not coming out until Q2, it's not fair for me to wait any longer I'm done waiting tbh man

the i7 2600K would have been better for sure, the non K chip, really not so much, what's wrong with your FX chip? should still be in the 40-60fps range no problem right?

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

AHHHH clever boy, I like it.

3 minutes ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

I checked the bios, the only thing relevant to "UEFI" was the boot order. And it just showed whatever was connected to SATA 

Couldn't find any stuff related to PCI in there though. I'll google to see if I can find the pdf for the manual for that board

alright so this is from what I figure from the HP elite 7200 and there is a bios update for it. if you can get into to windows could you search for RUN>type "MSINFO32" and see what bios version/date your on http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5037410&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4059 shows that you have ver. 7.15 that might or might not do anything for you.

4 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

the i7 2600K would have been better for sure, the non K chip, really not so much, what's wrong with your FX chip? should still be in the 40-60fps range no problem right?

It's not a huge upgrade in gaming performance but multi tasking takes a solid bump, and if he can do it for less than an 8320 he'll have 2 solid gaming computers from both teams  instead.

2 minutes ago, RainColt said:

I need to be good for some things :P

also, if you can boot into Windows, you should be able to see the gfx card, and even be able to use it as a primary monitor

1 minute ago, BubblyCharizard said:

I need to be good for some things :P

also, if you can boot into Windows, you should be able to see the gfx card, and even be able to use it as a primary monitor

I think his PC boots but his GPU doesn't display anything, his onboard graphics will display though, so either it's not getting power or its an issue with the motherboard.

16 minutes ago, RainColt said:

alright so this is from what I figure from the HP elite 7200 and there is a bios update for it. if you can get into to windows could you search for RUN>type "MSINFO32" and see what bios version/date your on http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5037410&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4059 shows that you have ver. 7.15 that might or might not do anything for you.

Wow, thank you! 

I need to get off this computer and use its power supply / card, etc to use it on the mobo so I cannot come back here and post.  

So just to clarify before I start, download http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5037410&swItemId=vc_102002_1&swEnvOid=4059

But when looking at the release notes, I don't see any support added for RX 480.  Do you think it will even work? I mean, it's worth to try it right?

6 minutes ago, MakeAMDGreatAgain said:

Wow, thank you! 

I need to get off this computer and use its power supply / card, etc to use it on the mobo so I cannot come back here and post.  

So just to clarify before I start, download http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=5037410&swItemId=vc_102002_1&swEnvOid=4059

But when looking at the release notes, I don't see any support added for RX 480.  Do you think it will even work? I mean, it's worth to try it right?

dude the update was in 2012, it's doesn't say it does a lot and from what i've read it doesn't give you anymore advanced bios options to play with. I was thinking maybe 7850, but probably not.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5037410&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4058 I suppose you could also try HP's link to amd drivers maybe they're different from other drivers

7 minutes ago, RainColt said:

dude the update was in 2012, it's doesn't say it does a lot and from what i've read it doesn't give you anymore advanced bios options to play with. I was thinking maybe 7850, but probably not.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=5037410&swLangOid=8&swEnvOid=4058 I suppose you could also try HP's link to amd drivers maybe they're different from other drivers

Okay! I will let you know RainColt in 20-30 minutes. Going to try it now