Keyboard and Mouse replacements

foolishlywise

After something like seven years with the same desktop set (Microsoft Desktop 3000) I need a replacement. The thing is worn beyond belief. I'm looking at getting a Corsair Strafe RGB with MX Silent switches and possibly an M65 for the mouse. The keyboard is what I'm most interested in. Use case is mostly essays with some light (sometimes medium) gaming. Nothing really hardcore though. 

I do a tonne (A TONNE) of typing and its going to get worse with next year being final year at university (dissertation) and then possibly even worse as I intend to do a masters. So, something which is nice to type on for long periods would be ideal. Politics essays are long. 

Anyone have any experience with the Strafe (with MX Silents) for long typing sessions? I'm hoping its not like typing on mashed potato (but then again, not like typing on something from 1000 BC). I'm open to suggestions too about the keyboard. 

Whatever keyboard you get, I would recommend Cherry Brown switches. You get the tactile bump of blues (which increased my speed by almost 10 WPM once I got used to feeling for it instead of bottoming out) without the noise. Not as quiet as silents, though, but I don't know how good those would be for long typing sessions.

Also I would HIGHLY recommend, as I do for just about everyone because they're so awesome, looking into the G402/G502 for a mouse. Or MX Master if you want something less gamer-y looking.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Brown Switches RGB... You can thank me later. Probably the best typing keyboard on the market, I absolutely love mine.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D

3 minutes ago, Spork829 said:

Whatever keyboard you get, I would recommend Cherry Brown switches. You get the tactile bump of blues (which increased my speed by almost 10 WPM once I got used to feeling for it instead of bottoming out) without the noise. Not as quiet as silents, though, but I don't know how good those would be for long typing sessions.

Also I would HIGHLY recommend, as I do for just about everyone because they're so awesome, looking into the G402/G502 for a mouse. Or MX Master if you want something less gamer-y looking.

I've never had any switches but an off brand blue switch, which is apparently louder and more tactile than cherry MX.

What's the difference between brown and blue switches?

Don't talk about stale memes.

2 minutes ago, Acorn Eyes said:

I've never had any switches but an off brand blue switch, which is apparently louder and more tactile than cherry MX.

What's the difference between brown and blue switches?

Blue has the loud click sound.

1 minute ago, Spork829 said:

Blue has the loud click sound.

Yeah I know, so what your telling me is they feel the same?

18 hours ago, Aytex said:

No, browns are tactile and blues are click.

19 hours ago, Acorn Eyes said:

Yeah I know, so what your telling me is they feel the same?

Yes they feel almost identical. They are both tactile, meaning you feel the little bump halfway down. Blues click when you hit it, browns do not. 

1 hour ago, Spork829 said:

Yes they feel almost identical. They are both tactile, meaning you feel the little bump halfway down. Blues click when you hit it, browns do not. 

Think I prefer the click honestly, makes it feel more real.

But I don't actually know since I've only touched two different mechanical keyboards.

On 23/02/2017 at 8:13 PM, Spork829 said:

You get the tactile bump of blues (which increased my speed by almost 10 WPM once I got used to feeling for it instead of bottoming out) without the noise. Not as quiet as silents, though, but I don't know how good those would be for long typing sessions.

This seems promising. 

On 23/02/2017 at 8:13 PM, Spork829 said:

MX Master if you want something less gamer-y looking.

I think I'm settled on the mouse!

Reading some reviews, the Silents have a higher actuation force compared to the Browns suggested above. Loudness isn't REALLY an issue (I don't share a room) so I should be good. In my head, I thought silents would be lighter to press but to reduce noise I think its harder. 

Gonna do a bit more research but again, I'm trying to decide between the Strafe and the K70. Not really a fan of RGB (I'll 100% turn off the LED's) but opinion - K70 or the Strafe? Is there any tangible differences apart from the wrist rest?