2.1 Setup on the Cheap

Treboren

Any tips on a cheap 2.1 setup, mostly going to be used for home watching movies/ music. I've seen what look like good deals on speakers on Ebay, any worrys about buying second had speakers from the 2000s? i.e: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222389680402?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

advice on low end amps, and subs also appreciated.

also to note, room size is about 8ft by 8ft

what's "on the cheap"? You can get a prebuilt 2.1 set or you build it yourself. In this case, it will only be cheap if you get used party, but even the, costs will probably be north of 300 Pound / 400€

A cheap AMP with a dedicated sub output is the SMSL Q5 Pro.

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

honestly I was thinking around  £250

alright. TBO I have no idea about used audio parts in the UK and their current pricing, but I wouldn't worry about quality issues, if you stick to known brands and there are no visual issues, especially with the cone and the flexy thing connecting it to the outer cast (its called Sicke in German, no idea what the english word for it). If I recall correctly, I've read an article online a few years ago about buying used speakers - they usually sum up some pretty handy tips.

"We cannot change the cards we're dealt - just how we play the hand" - R. Pausch

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X , Cooler: BeQuiet Dark Rock 3 Motherboard: MSI B450 Mortar Titanium RAM: 16 GB Corsair LPX 3200 GPU: EVGA RTX2070 XC Storage: Adata 120GB SSD, SanDisk 1TB SDD, 2TB WD GreenHDD Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS Peripherals: Master Keys Pro S, Logitech G402 Audio: Schiit Fulla 2 + Sennheiser HD 650. Laptop: Asus Zenbook UX 302

good subs start at 400-500$. A good pair of speakers should have enough bass for such a small room. I have a fairly similar room except my room is 7.5ft by 11 ft and speakers like LSR 305 have more than enough bass, the same for the Bronze 2 (which I prefer over the LSR 305).

Buying used speakers is 100% fine, BUT I would only buy used speakers from places where I can see and hear them in real life. For amps/receivers then Yamaha has been known for a while to make some of the best budget ones. Onkyo also makes some good ones, but their stereo amps and receivers are not as good as Yamaha. 

You can look for brands like Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, Dali, KEF, Wharfedale, Q Acoustics, B&O and B&W

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

13 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

good subs start at 400-500$. A good pair of speakers should have enough bass for such a small room. I have a fairly similar room except my room is 7.5ft by 11 ft and speakers like LSR 305 have more than enough bass, the same for the Bronze 2 (which I prefer over the LSR 305).

Buying used speakers is 100% fine, BUT I would only buy used speakers from places where I can see and hear them in real life. For amps/receivers then Yamaha has been known for a while to make some of the best budget ones. Onkyo also makes some good ones, but their stereo amps and receivers are not as good as Yamaha. 

You can look for brands like Monitor Audio, Dynaudio, Dali, KEF, Wharfedale, Q Acoustics, B&O and B&W

I second this. And to throw some more brands into the mix: Nubert, Canton, Klipsch, Quadral and Elac are also quite nice, though I fear that there's no chance the last one as well as the above mentioned Bowers & Wilkins will fit in your budget :D 

2 minutes ago, Speakerator said:

I second this. And to throw some more brands into the mix: Nubert, Canton, Klipsch, Quadral and Elac are also quite nice, though I fear that there's no chance the last one as well as the above mentioned Bowers & Wilkins will fit in your budget :D 

I wouldn't recommend older Klipsch since it tends to have harsh treble.

B&W has some good speakers from the 90s and 80s, that sometimes go rather cheap, you can also find some Elac speakers used like the 201.

Also OP if you are going to place them right up against a wall then I recommend fully closed speakers or front ported speakers.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Buying used speakers is fine (Mine are older by a long shot) but like @Dackzy said, make sure you can check out the audio and see what condition the speaker cups are like too. This will give you and indication as to if they fit your needs etc and if there will be any extra cost to the current speakers. 

*B&O have some good speakers from the 70's, 80's and 90's and tend to do alright with fairly cheap amps

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz