Best headphones for 150 USD

Go to solution Solved by Guest Kloaked,
9 minutes ago, HalfOfALifeLeft said:

Open is good, right? I did see the AD700X which are priced at about 100 on amazon. Is there any benefit of the 900 over the 700? (I assume the 900 is more expensive)

On paper the 900 will have slightly more sub bass extension but has a bit brighter treble, whereas the 700 will have slightly less bright treble and slightly less sub bass extension - according to InnerFidelity's charts.

I don't think either of them will sound terrible, but if you prefer something as neutral as possible the 700's would be the best bet if you chose between those two headphones. The reason I brought up the 900s instead was as an alternative to the neutral sound since many people like more of a v-curve even in games, as it pronounces things such as explosions, gun fire, etc.

None of the headphones mentioned so far though will have any type of issue where some frequency band is so loud that the driver will sound muddy, so don't worry about that.

Hello, I am looking for headphones around the $150 price range. My main purpose for these will be gaming online and competitively. I also listen to some music so decent audio quality would be nice. I was already looking at the Sennheiser HD 598 and HyperX Cloud 2 from friend recommendations. What are some suggestions you may have? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

Sennheiser is the way to go.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

I take it you'll be using these for gaming? Do you want a lot of bass? Do you need a mic?

1 minute ago, Praesi said:

Sennheiser is the way to go.

Does it have a lot of bass? I don't know much about this stuff but I do know that for gaming I don't want a huge amount of bass, so that I can more easily hear footsteps.

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I take it you'll be using these for gaming? Do you want a lot of bass? Do you need a mic?

Mic? no. I have an AT 2020 USB. Bass? I'm not really sure, I don't think that its super beneficial for gaming and from what I have heard it muffles footsteps in games like CS:GO

4 minutes ago, HalfOfALifeLeft said:

Does it have a lot of bass? I don't know much about this stuff but I do know that for gaming I don't want a huge amount of bass, so that I can more easily hear footsteps.

I dont own it, so you have to read some Tests. But i owned alot of Brands over the Years, and Sennheiser is by far the best in the ~200$ pricerange.

I always bought HS´s with Mic tho.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

1 minute ago, HalfOfALifeLeft said:

Mic? no. I have an AT 2020 USB. Bass? I'm not really sure, I don't think that its super beneficial for gaming and from what I have heard it muffles footsteps in games like CS:GO

I'd cross out the HyperX Clouds then as part of that money is going to the mic (and a couple other things you don't need).

The HD598 will have a more balanced frequency response, but just keep in mind they're open cans. I haven't had a pair of them yet personally to comment on how they realistically sound compared to the audio graphs, but they should be fine.

You could also look at Audio Technica's AD900X headphones which may be slightly more comfortable.

8 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I'd cross out the HyperX Clouds then as part of that money is going to the mic (and a couple other things you don't need).

The HD598 will have a more balanced frequency response, but just keep in mind they're open cans. I haven't had a pair of them yet personally to comment on how they realistically sound compared to the audio graphs, but they should be fine.

You could also look at Audio Technica's AD900X headphones which may be slightly more comfortable.

Open is good, right? I did see the AD700X which are priced at about 100 on amazon. Is there any benefit of the 900 over the 700? (I assume the 900 is more expensive)

9 minutes ago, HalfOfALifeLeft said:

On paper the 900 will have slightly more sub bass extension but has a bit brighter treble, whereas the 700 will have slightly less bright treble and slightly less sub bass extension - according to InnerFidelity's charts.

I don't think either of them will sound terrible, but if you prefer something as neutral as possible the 700's would be the best bet if you chose between those two headphones. The reason I brought up the 900s instead was as an alternative to the neutral sound since many people like more of a v-curve even in games, as it pronounces things such as explosions, gun fire, etc.

None of the headphones mentioned so far though will have any type of issue where some frequency band is so loud that the driver will sound muddy, so don't worry about that.

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I don't think either of them will sound terrible, but if you prefer something as neutral as possible the 700's would be the best bet if you chose between those two headphones. The reason I brought up the 900s instead was as an alternative to the neutral sound that many people like, even in games, as it pronounces things such as explosions, gun fire, etc.

Alright, I looked on amazon and the ATH AD900X is only 130, so its in budget. I think I will go with that, Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: should I be worried about warming up the headphones? I heard that some need that to properly function

3 minutes ago, HalfOfALifeLeft said:

Alright, I looked on amazon and the ATH AD900X is only 130, so its in budget. I think I will go with that, Thanks for the advice!

Report back how you like them when you get them.

9 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Report back how you like them when you get them.

Actually I'll wait for another week or so before buying, Just to see if there will be any deals that pop up. I always do that because I have the worst luck with that. I might also just leave it in my cart and hope that my life hack still works for this. after a few days of it being in my cart I should get a coupon from amazon. Works most of the time for me. #PennyPinchingBecauseStudentsArePoorPeople

Edited by HalfOfALifeLeft
grammar

i have void rgb from cosair cant fault them 

international racing driver

My Build

i5-7600k

hyper x fury 16gb (2133)mhz

asus strix 1070 

CM 212x

asus z270-p

corsair 550w psu

agon 1440p 144hz tn monitor

corsair strafe mx silent KB

corsair void rbg (wired)

razer mamba te with firefly mouse pat

ps4 controller using ds4 windows

23 minutes ago, HalfOfALifeLeft said:

Actually I'll wait for another week or so before buying, Just to see if there will be any deals that pop up. I always do that because I have the worst luck with that. I might also just leave it in my cart and hope that my life hack still works for this. after a few days of it being in my cart I should get a coupon from amazon. Works most of the time for me. #PennyPinchingBecauseStudentsArePoorPeople

Since you're on a budget, maybe check out the HD558. They are $99 at Best Buy and if you add a $1 filler you can use VISA Checkout to get $25 off $100. The sound stage is very good, and there is some bass to add a little emphasis on those booms. People are always saying that the HD558/HD598 are some of the most comfortable headphones they've used.

I strongly recommend the Creative Aurvana Live! at that price. EDIT: I just noticed that you listed USD, I think you should fork out the extra for Senn HD 598/600s.

2 hours ago, HalfOfALifeLeft said:

EDIT: should I be worried about warming up the headphones? I heard that some need that to properly function

no, it is mainly proven to be false.

pad break in and you adjusting can make a difference though.

don't worry about it.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."