How often do you turn off your computer?

ace_cheaply

How often do you turn off your computer?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you turn off your computer?

• Every time I am finished using it
    • One or two times per week
    • Never/Only when something goes wrong
    • Whenever the seventh moon of Jupiter is in Uranus

Just as the title and poll asks, I'm curious how the LTT community treats their personal rigs.   I am squarely in the "Only when something goes wrong" category.  As a media server, my personal computer "White Privilege"  has only been off a couple times in the 9 months since I built her. So much for the wicked fast start up times on the ssd. 

What about you? 

2 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Just as the title and poll asks, I'm curious how the LTT community treats their personal rigs.   I am squarely in the "Only when something goes wrong" category.  As a media server, my personal computer "White Privilege"  has only been off a couple times in the 9 months since I built her. So much for the wicked fast start up times on the ssd. 

What about you? 

SSD, so i power it off to be "safe" 

My computer can't go off, only to sleep. It powers my 5-port switch via USB, and there's no where else for me to put it. I leave it asleep most of the time, because my network is critical; my server needs the switch which needs the PCs power. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

I turn my pc off and on once a day, its a nice space heater but is right next to my bed to leave it on all the time. but a nice thing is that the motherboard apparently always supplies the USB's with 5v power for phone charging and stuff like that when its turned off.

1 minute ago, TheUncannyScrub said:

I turn my pc off and on once a day, its a nice space heater but is right next to my bed to leave it on all the time. but a nice thing is that the motherboard apparently always supplies the USB's with 5v power for phone charging and stuff like that when its turned off.

I need that feature. See my post above for why. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Mine is never shut down unless it fails or a hurricane knocks out the power. I have to access my computer from the hotels I take care of and it's also my media center for the entire house. 

My wife's computer on the other hand I shut down every day when it's not in use. 

Current Build

AMD Ryzen 2600

Stock cooler

Asus ROG B450f gaming Mobo

1tb SKHynix m.2

WD 1TB HDD

Asus ROG Strix RX 5700xt

Thermaltake Toughpower 650w DPS RGB 80+Gold

16 Gigs ddr4 3000 gskill ram

Phantek fans

Phanteks P400TG

Laptop

Eluktronics Prometheus XVII

Ryzen 7 5800h

32 gigs ddr4 Corsair ram

Nvidia rtx 3080 max-p

17.3 qhd 165 hrz screen

1tb Samsung m.2

1tb WD black m.2

5 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

My computer can't go off, only to sleep. It powers my 5-port switch via USB, and there's no where else for me to put it. I leave it asleep most of the time, because my network is critical; my server needs the switch which needs the PCs power. 

Is it a local server only?  Why not run through a router?

6 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

ASUS motherboards tend to keep the ports on the back always-on, I think there's a setting in the BIOS for it (older motherboards have a jumper instead) but both of the ASUS motherboards I currently use supply 5v in shut down state.

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

I put my desktop to sleep whenever I go to work and every night except weekends or if I have a download brewing. I also have a sleep timer set in case the computer wants to wake up to synchronize time.

For my "I need persistently accessible data," I have a dedicated NAS for that.

I'll let my personal rig go to sleep, but really only turn it off every once in a while.  The home server runs 24/7 unless I want to give it a break and let the drives cool down from 33 C.

My processors have a large workload to deal with, and I have encode and render projects queued up back-to-back.

Outside of unscheduled faults, the only time I turn them off is every 6 months I test the UPSs and/or replace the batteries, and once a year I set aside 30 minutes to replace thermal paste if temperatures are out of spec.

Routine dust removal is done while the system is running and faulty fans are hot-swapped. About once a month there is sufficient downtime for me to use one of my computers to play games on.

10 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I believe its a Gigabyte Gaming Z170 K3 LGA 1511 Motherboard

Never, I'll restart very, very rarely for an update or to do something hardware related, but it is never shut down.

It boots in a few seconds, but I see no need to shut down, it doesn't use much power (which is cheap and renewable in NZ) and it's nice to have it wake up instantly. It doesn't even go to sleep, it just idles with the screen off.

I came from Mac, which are never shut down because there's no need, plus my Xeon is made for constant use.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

I put my computer to SLEEP when I am done using it, but rarely completely turn it OFF.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

25 minutes ago, ace_cheaply said:

Is it a local server only?  Why not run through a router?

It's a web server as well, but I can't put any wired devices near my router. My ethernet going into the switch goes from router to range extender (up a floor and across the house) to switch. 

i turn it off when i don't need it,

for things like my server and HTCP, i never turn them off becuse

1. why would you turn off a server?

2. the HTCP comsumes VERY little power...

not joking heres the the pcpartpicker link:

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/JQpxcc

just remove the hdd and replace it with a 128GB SSD and thats my HTCP

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

Usually don't turn it off, just let it go to sleep. 

Only time I turn it off is if games get weird from using Alt+Tab too much. Or when it turns off instead of going to sleep by accident haha. 

I restart it only once it starts screwing up pretty badly, which tends to be around once every few months.
Other than that, I just put it to sleep every night so it's not making noise or shining light everywhere while I'm trying to sleep.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W