HyperX Cloud replacement

belkun

I've been using a HyperX Cloud for about 3 years, and while I still really like them, I've been considering getting something better.

My budget is around $200-300, and I'm looking for closed back headphones, preferably with a removable cable so I can couple it with a V-MODA BoomPro. Being comfortable is a top priority, and having replaceable pads is a huge plus. I mainly listen to electronic music and hip-hop, so a V-shaped or bassy sound would be great. I'm plugging it directly on my PC, but if necessary I'm willing to get an amp for up to $100.

The ones I'm considering right now are the AudioTechnica ATH-WS1100, V-MODA Crossfade M-100, Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro and Sennheiser Momentum 2.0, with about that order from the ones I like the most to least from what I've read about them. Another option I've been considering is a DT770, but then I'd need a ModMic instead of a BoomPro, and I'd like as few wires as possible, and even though I've read they're very comfortable, I've also read the upgrade from my Clouds wouldn't be that great, which after comfort, is a priority.

Does anyone has experience with the WS1100? It seems to be similar to the MSR7, but with more punchy bass. The MSR7 was another option I was considering, but reviews say it's not that great for the type of music I plan on listening on it.

2 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

Currently I'm rocking HifiMan HE750 cans and I love them. While they are above your budget, there are cheaper options that are really nice as well. Take a look at some HifiMan headphones, I like mine and they are really comfy.

Can't find those anywhere, not even on Amazon, which is where I'm going to order them, and if they're above my budget, I guess there's no point on looking for them anyway.

Still, thanks for the recommendation!

You could always go for the slightly more elaborate setup of a nicer microphone on a boom with a slightly less expensive pair of headphones. That way though there's one more cable, at least its routed out of your way around/under your desk, instead of down your face :3

For about 200-250$ you could pretty dang easily pickup a cheap arm, pop filter, and AT2020 to combo with a pair of Senn. HD598s, which would give you a much higher voice quality, and a bump up in sound quality as well with the headphones.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1 minute ago, Atmos said:

You could always go for the slightly more elaborate setup of a nicer microphone on a boom with a slightly less expensive pair of headphones.

For about 200-250$ you could pretty dang easily pickup a cheap arm, pop filter, and AT2020 to combo with a pair of Senn. HD598s, which would give you a much higher voice quality, and a bump up in sound quality as well with the headphones.

I don't really see the point of doing that to be honest. I'd rather not spend that much on a microphone when all I use it is for ingame chat with friends, and also don't want to waste desk space with it. I don't have a place to install an arm, and would rather not have a desk mic picking up my keyboard. I spend most of my time listening to music, so I'd rather spend more money on better headphones.

5 minutes ago, Abyssal Radon said:

http://hifiman.com/products/

Look at their product page. The HE400/400S are $299.99 and I bet they are MUCH nicer than your Hyper Cloud headphones you had before.

Probably should have mentioned, but I'm planning on importing them from Amazon. From what I can see, their website only sells for the US and Canada, and they're also the seller on Amazon, instead of Amazon themselves, so no importing unfortunately, which means that's not an option.

If you're looking for closed backs, probably the DT770 despite your misgivings. They have the best comfort of anything on your short list, have great isolation (I'm assuming this is the reason you want closed backs), great soundstage (important for gaming), and likely the best audio quality among anything you've listed as well. Yes, the cable isn't detachable, but that's a fairly simple mod; if you're squeamish, odds are that you can find a used pair with the mod already done on them and just change the pads. There are even places online that can do the mod for you, though I don't know if it's worth the price when you can do it yourself or have a random internet stranger do it for you.

The reason you probably hear that the DT770 isn't a significant upgrade from the Clouds is because they're tuned fairly similarly; Takstar (Kingston's OEM) has a sound signature like Beyerdynamic's. There's a reason the HyperX Clouds have done so well as gaming headphones: everything they excel at is what you need for gaming (and also what Beyerdynamic does well). The DT770's are an improvement on everything the Clouds do, with tighter and better extended bass (Clouds lack sub-bass), better separation (one of my main problems with the Clouds), and an even larger closed soundstage. 

Another plus for the DT770's is that they're very cheap used thanks to their age. Many used ones will even come with Modmics or detachable cable mods because of their use as gaming headphones.

2 minutes ago, Nimrodor said:

If you're looking for closed backs, probably the DT770 despite your misgivings. They have the best comfort of anything on your short list, have great isolation (I'm assuming this is the reason you want closed backs), great soundstage (important for gaming), and likely the best audio quality among anything you've listed as well. Yes, the cable isn't detachable, but that's a fairly simple mod; if you're squeamish, odds are that you can find a used pair with the mod already done on them and just change the pads. There are even places online that can do the mod for you, though I don't know if it's worth the price when you can do it yourself or have a random internet stranger do it for you.

The reason you probably hear that the DT770 isn't a significant upgrade from the Clouds is because they're tuned fairly similarly; Takstar (Kingston's OEM) has a sound signature like Beyerdynamic's. There's a reason the HyperX Clouds have done so well as gaming headphones: everything they excel at is what you need for gaming (and also what Beyerdynamic does well). The DT770's are an improvement on everything the Clouds do, with tighter and better extended bass (Clouds lack sub-bass), better separation (one of my main problems with the Clouds), and an even larger closed soundstage. 

Another plus for the DT770's is that they're very cheap used thanks to their age. Many used ones will even come with Modmics or detachable cable mods because of their use as gaming headphones.

I mainly want closed backs because I don't want audio leaking, but I also don't like complete isolation, and while I never tried open backs, people say they're better if you listen to music with actual instruments, which I honestly don't, and also their soundstage, which personally isn't massively important, since the games that I play don't benefit much from it. The non-detachable cable is really my only main issue with them, because I like everything else. I already have HM5 velour pads on my Clouds, so swapping them onto a DT770 would be nice, and I'm also considering picking up the sheepskin ones.

If they really have the best quality out of the listed ones, while also being cheaper than all of them, I guess I can deal with an extra wire. I do kinda like how easy to remove the ModMic is, compared to unplugging the entire cable like I'd have to do with a BoomPro, since I like to remove the mic when I'm not using it on my current Cloud.

The DT770 is really the one pair that keeps getting recommended again and again, and I guess I might have to pick it up. I'm still a bit interested on the WS1100 though, because I can't find that much information about it, and it has almost everything I want.

Thank you so much for the reply!