Pirated Software and Computer Performance

Go to solution Solved by orangecat,

Unless the software is doing something it shouldn't be then no. You should really tell your "friend" to buy the software that way he doesn't have to worry about getting viruses and going to jail if the FBI catches him.

Hello there,

A friend asked me if pirated software affects the performance of a PC. And I was curious about his question as well. So does it?

1 minute ago, Rammin_Speed said:

Hello there,

A friend asked me if pirated software affects the performance of a PC. And I was curious about his question as well. So does it?

It depends if the software also includes virsus and malware

Depends on how malicious the downloaded whatever is.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Unless the software is doing something it shouldn't be then no. You should really tell your "friend" to buy the software that way he doesn't have to worry about getting viruses and going to jail if the FBI catches him.

Just a reminder:

• Talking about piracy in general, broad details, is acceptable however the posting or discussing pirated/hacked/cracked or otherwise nefariously obtained content is not. This includes Windows content, games, hackintosh, etc. Also discussions regarding ways to avoid or block legitimately installed monitoring/tracking software or the like is also not allowed.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/965477-community-standards/

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Pretty much what Dan Castellaneta had said.

Some cracks are more efficient than others. I've seen many cracks that just outright block the program through the firewall, so the program just sits there pinging the firewall at a set interval trying to connect to the server to verify itself. This costs processor time, and can in theory affect performance. Others run scripts in the background to trick the program into thinking it's being run in a correct environment.

That said, sometimes cracks can increase performance by cutting out unnecessary steps. If we're talking about various DRM measures.

Sort of a program to program basis.

21 minutes ago, Rammin_Speed said:

Hello there,

Depends how much malware & viruses come bundled with it. 

22 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

Ehh, I'd highly doubt the FBI would be track a 1 off pirate... Who's friend had to ask the LTT community. 

You'd realistically only be in trouble, or on a watch list if you were actively distributing content. From a commercial & budget standpoint, no one is going to spend millions tracking a one-off offender who downloaded a movie with total damages of $25. 

Rule of thumb for offending: don't be the fattest or slowest whale in the ocean.

1 minute ago, Belgarathian said:

Ehh, I'd highly doubt the FBI would be track a 1 off pirate... Who's friend had to ask the LTT community. 

You'd realistically only be in trouble, or on a watch list if you were actively distributing content. From a commercial & budget standpoint, no one is going to spend millions tracking a one-off offender who downloaded a movie with total damages of $25. 

They do monitor individuals. in the past i've received letters from my ISP for pirating and if I were to keep it up they could easily report me to the authorities. Maybe it they haven't come for you but it's not like it can't happen. It's still illegal so better safe than sorry.

21 minutes ago, Rammin_Speed said:

Hello there,

no it doesnt. in the past performance has been improved by removing DRM. The industry releases a lot of FUD about pirated software. There are some places like pirate bay where you do not want to get software as it will be loaded with keyloggers. In the case of games it is possible malware could be uploaded with the game. I think the common sense thing to do is if you like the game then pay for it so you dont have to deal with being kicked out of online multiplayer. heres what serious sam did to combat piracy:

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

6 minutes ago, Kilobytez95 said:

They do monitor individuals. in the past i've received letters from my ISP for pirating and if I were to keep it up they could easily report me to the authorities. Maybe it they haven't come for you but it's not like it can't happen. It's still illegal so better safe than sorry.

That's an automated system with a fake seeder that's logging IPs & sending notifications to your ISP... It's not the FBI, it's a private company that is paid by the content owner to issue infringement notices and reduce offending. Literally scare tactics. 

4 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

Rule of thumb for offending: don't be the fattest or slowest whale in the ocean.

that is only true in NZ coz our anti-piracy law was rushed through parliament to save the Hobbit from going offshore and they purposefully made it useless. The ISPs can charge a content owner to apply the law so we dont see campaigns like in USA where they get a lawyer to spam thousands of people with fines for copyright infringement. What they do overseas is they multiply the retail cost of the product by the number of people you connected to on the p2p network; so you have to pay for your own copy and every one else you may have distributed to; that $25 balloons out to $25k. AFAIK only a hand full of people were done for torrenting crappy pop music but the software and movie industries saw how little money was made from the music campaign and NZ is pretty honest, we only pirated stuff like game of thrones coz we had no way of watching it legally.

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

4 minutes ago, Belgarathian said:

That's an automated system with a fake seeder that's logging IPs & sending notifications to your ISP... It's not the FBI, it's a private company that is paid by the content owner to issue infringement notices and reduce offending. Literally scare tactics. 

thats exactly how it works. The FBI comes into it when you are selling counterfeit copies. they are called in as hired guns when a letter from a lawyer is too nice for the amount of money they expect to get out of you

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_