Can i clone my SSD to another SSD

MrHarv

Hello.

I recently bought a new SSD and want to clone my current SSD to the new one without having to reinstall Windows from ground up .

I did ask here but got no response. So i thought maybe making a topic in the Storage section can help.

Please enlight me with ways to clone every single file on my current ssd to the new one.

I can afford to wait hours but just cant afford to install everything again. 

With CloneZilla you can provided the new ssd is as big or bigger than the old one.

When you clone it, it will be done with a boot disk of some sort. There are plenty of options out there. But make sure that once it's copied that you don't boot with both drives connected or you will be spending the next several hours trying to fix it.

Boot disk? Means it wont have my personal files,documents?

Yes, but you're replacing the old drive with the new one. so make sure that once it has finished cloning, you disconnect the old one or set a format job on the old one so you don't have two boot sectors on the computer.

I understand about the part not having to Boot sectors but will it or it wont have my Files,Documents from current boot drive?

It will be identical to your current drive after the clone. It's just that, like movie physics, computer don't like there being identical copies of things.

Thanks! D: I was almost scared there for a moment since wasn't clear about your statement

33 minutes ago, MrHarv said:

Hello.

I recently bought a new SSD and want to clone my current SSD to the new one without having to reinstall Windows from ground up .

I did ask here but got no response. So i thought maybe making a topic in the Storage section can help.

Please enlight me with ways to clone every single file on my current ssd to the new one.

I can afford to wait hours but just cant afford to install everything again. 

I used the samsung magician cloning software. I had the same thing to do but it didnt work for me. So you know, do it with care 

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

14 minutes ago, hmminteresting said:

I used the samsung magician cloning software. I had the same thing to do but it didnt work for me. So you know, do it with care 

first suggestion was the best, clonezilla all the way. get it free online, burn it to usb, boot it and follow the easy instructions. ittl make a bare metal copy of ur 120gb drive and dump it on an external USB hdd or whetever u wanna use, then you can dump that image back on your new 480gb drive. when u boot it back up it might still show up that ur C drive is 120gb, but u can expand it from partition editor. 

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Okay this is scaring me now a bit..  firstly it doesn't work for some users. secondly why will window recognise it as 120gb when ssd is 480gb?? @DnFx91

3 hours ago, MrHarv said:

Okay this is scaring me now a bit..  firstly it doesn't work for some users. secondly why will window recognise it as 120gb when ssd is 480gb?? @DnFx91

i think it only happens with brand new drives with no partition table on them, i dont really know why but its super easy to just expand into the rest of the free space

Home PC:

CPU: i7 4790s ~ Motherboard: Asus B85M-E ~ RAM: 32GB Ballistix Sport DDR3 1666 ~ GPU: Sapphire R9 390 Nitro ~ Case: Corsair Carbide Spec-03 ~ Storage: Kingston Predator 240GB   PCIE M.2 Boot, 2TB HDD, 3x 480GB SATA SSD's in RAID 0 ~ PSU:    Corsair CX600
Display(s): Asus PB287Q , Generic Samsung 1080p 22" ~ Cooling: Arctic T3 Air Cooler, All case fans replaced with Noctua NF-B9 Redux's ~ Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion ~ Mouse: Cheap Microsoft Wired (i like it) ~ Sound: Radial Pro USB DAC into 250w Powered Speakers ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Work PC:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3 1275 v3 ~ Motherboard: Asrock E3C226D2I ~ RAM: 16GB DDR3 ~ GPU: GTX 460 ~ Case: Silverstone SG05 ~ Storage: 512GB SATA SSD ~ Displays: 3x1080p 24" mix and matched Dell monitors plus a 10" 1080p lilliput monitor above ~ Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise x64

Leave partition table/sector aside, I got a DEAD SSD!! Tried on 3 Desktop,s 4 laptops and it wont even show up in Boot devices list or in Disk partition manager! :(

i contacted my seller and he said give it back and after 1 month of inspection i will get back :/