Storage Drives not showing

ItsJacob

you know how normally when your connected to your router with wifi or ethanet you can discover things on the network and map network drives, well ive got a problem ive got a desktop that im using but the only way i can connect it to the internet is through mobile hotspot on my tablet (there is no other way i can connect it other than a wireless usb dongle that i cannot afford at this time), is there any way for me to be able to get it to act like normal so i can access my network files and shares.

The mobile hotspot feature on your phone turns it into a router, with the internet connection being your phone's cellular. On most phones, this also disconnects your phone from whatever wifi it was previously connected to. I am not aware of any phones that can act like a wireless repeater.

given that your computer is connected to a completely seperate network on a seperate router, the only way to get your computer onto the main network is to run a VPN server, either on your router or on another computer on that network, and then connect to that VPN from the computer on the hotspot. This would allow you to connect to the shared folders, printers, etc in the main network, but you probably will have to type them in manually since most VPNs don't handle broadcast traffic (meaning that your computer wouldn't be able to give you the list of devices on the network).

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

okay, at the moment i have my tablet picking up the main wifi then spiting it out to my computer throught the cable

28 minutes ago, NoobCase said:

Why don't you get a cheap ethernet  adaptor? Pretty sure you can get Intel gigabit pcie cards for 10-20 USD? 

already tried that, since im using displayport i cant use the pci slot at the same time, am i am wanting to get a wifi usb dongle, i jost dont have enough at the moment

1 minute ago, ItsJacob said:

already tried that, since im using displayport i cant use the pci slot at the same time, am i am wanting to get a wifi usb dongle, i jost dont have enough at the moment

im in au so prices are like double anyway

12 hours ago, NoobCase said:

That does not Compute.. What motherboard do you have? 

its a dell optilex 960 and i tried to put a wifi pcie card in and it worked but i just couldnt use that and the displayport at the same time

6 minutes ago, ItsJacob said:

its a dell optilex 960 and i tried to put a wifi pcie card in and it worked but i just couldnt use that and the displayport at the same time

On a lot of systems with a single pcie slot, they can be quite dumb about assuming the device you've put into the PCIe slot is a GPU. You should be able to enable the integrated GPU even with another card inserted by modifying a BIOS setting.

2 minutes ago, brwainer said:

On a lot of systems with a single pcie slot, they can be quite dumb about assuming the device you've put into the PCIe slot is a GPU. You should be able to enable the integrated GPU even with another card inserted by modifying a BIOS setting.

what setting do i have to change?

14 minutes ago, ItsJacob said:

what setting do i have to change?

depends on the BIOS, and some may not have it. Just look for something like "Primary GPU" that has options like "Integrated" "External" and "Auto". if you can find something like that, set it to integrated. Or there might be a setting that lets it know whether the card in the PCIe slot is a GPU or not. Just look through and try things that seem likely. Worst case, you have to clear the CMOS and start with fresh BIOS settings - there shouldn't be anything in BIOS that can cause any lasting harm. (unless it lets you play with voltages, but I've never seen a Dell that let you do that)

EDIT: It might be called Onboard instead of integrated - same thing.

1 minute ago, brwainer said:

depends on the BIOS, and some may not have it. Just look for something like "Primary GPU" that has options like "Integrated" "External" and "Auto". if you can find something like that, set it to integrated. Or there might be a setting that lets it know whether the card in the PCIe slot is a GPU or not. Just look through and try things that seem likely. Worst case, you have to clear the CMOS and start with fresh BIOS settings - there shouldn't be anything in BIOS that can cause any lasting harm. (unless it lets you play with voltages, but I've never seen a Dell that let you do that)

thanks

On 2/14/2017 at 4:36 PM, brwainer said:

EDIT: It might be called Onboard instead of integrated - same thing.

On 2/14/2017 at 4:37 PM, ItsJacob said:

thanks

i tried that and couldnt find anything, there was a setting to change to onboard but it said it overides when pcie card is inserted. is there any other way?

45 minutes ago, ItsJacob said:

i tried that and couldnt find anything, there was a setting to change to onboard but it said it overides when pcie card is inserted. is there any other way?

If the motherboard is made that way, then not really, sorry.