CPU or GPU bound? CAD software

Ok so I'm building a computer for my friend who is an architect and I am just wondering about the processing in CAD software. Is it mainly CPU or GPU bound. I'm just thinking about how to balance the performance. 

2 minutes ago, TopHatTom said:

Ok so I'm building a computer for my friend who is an architect and I am just wondering about the processing in CAD software. Is it mainly CPU or GPU bound. I'm just thinking about how to balance the performance. 

CAD can be both cpu and gpu or jsut one of them.  it really depends on the specific version

Current Rig=  AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, Asus Crosshair Hero VIII, EVGA RTX 3070 FTW3 ultra, 32gb Corsair Vengence Pro RGB 3000hz White, EVGA 750 P2 PSU, 1TB Samsung 980 Pro, 500gb samsung 860 evo, 250GB Samsung 850 evo, 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 2TB seagate firecuda sshd,  LianLi PC 011 Dynamic XL ROG edition, Corsair h150i elite capelix

6 minutes ago, xdeathshot20 said:

CAD can be both cpu and gpu or jsut one of them.  it really depends on the specific version

Ah k, So revit for example. 

I can only speak for AutoCAD 2D (blueprints and floor plans) and it is CPU bound. It runs fine on integrated graphics even on the busiest of blueprints.

i5-6600k and i7-6700 both ran without hiccups.

My laptop's i7-3537u (dual core with hyperthreading) struggles, however.

CAD Technician here

It does depend on the software, but I know Autodesk Inventor (the software i use) is about 98% CPU intensive, and seeing as Revit is also made by Autodesk I'd think its the same story. A test was done using a seven year old nvisia m1000 and a modern day firepro 9100 (a $4000 gpu) and there was 0 difference between the two. 

ITS ALL ABOUT SINGLE THREAD PERFORMANCE (at least with inventor) so theres no need to get a top of the line Xeon, an OC 6700k or 7700k is actually the best option, since the only time it uses multiple threads is in rendering.

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25