WiFi

Valley_
Go to solution Solved by Donut417,

If you have Coax near your computer and near the router you could look in to MOCA. Although the tech is kinda expensive. Another option is power line adapters, but they can be very flaky. 

You didn't indicate which WiFi band you using. Keep in mind 2.4 Ghz although slower has more range and can penetrate walls easier then 5 Ghz. If you have a router will detachable antenna's you might even look at using a directional antenna. Or in some cases, buying a better router can help. It really depends on a lot of factors. Most of the time if you got a Modem/Router Combo from your ISP, they tend to have shit WiFI. Which is why a better router or wireless AP can help. 

I have heard that the new Google Router works. Google has a router that you can buy one or a pack of 3. You can use a second and third device as range extenders. The only thing is, these are range extenders that actually work. Generally range extenders suck donkey balls, but Google has figured it out. SO you put a second Google router in a room closer to your main router where it has better signal and you can then extend wireless on your second floor. The only issue is, you have to replace your main router has well as buy another one for the extender. The other issue is the Google router only has 2 ports. One for internet and one for lan. So if you have multiple devices connected to your router via wire, you will need a switch. 

Personally Id look in to MOCA if you have coax in both locations. Then you can just connect your machine up wired via Moca adapter. The only issue with MOCA are as follows:

1. Does not work with Satellite TV service. While MOCA adapters work on frequencies above what your cable provider uses, Satellite providers use the Same Frequencies Moca uses. 
  2. If you get your Internet Via your cable provider you need a moca filter on your line. I know Comcast uses Moca on their X1 boxes, that how they do whole home DVR, so you might have a filter on your line if you have some kinda of Home DVR solution. 
  3. You need MOCA compatible splitters. These splitters allow two way communication. 
  4. You can only have 16 Moca device on a network. Not really an issue, but a Pair of Moca devices is about $160 USD

Now Power line

1. Should be less expensive then Moca, but still going to cost for good ones
  2. Cant be plugged in to Surge Suppressor 
  3. Works best if your on the same Circuit. If not then you will get speed loss. If on two different legs of your homes power, then it might not work at all. (Generally at least what I have seen in my home in the US. We have 1 240 Volt line that comes in and Splits in to 2 120 volt lines. If the you 2 cirucuts are on diffrent sides of the breaker panel then this is not the option for you. 
  4. Speeds are completely BS in this standard. Dont expect to get the speeds on the box

Range Extenders 

1. Cuts your bandwidth in half 
    1. This is because the same radio that speaks to your device also speaks to your router. 
    2. Only exception is some of the new products such as Googles new router that has a dedicated radio that is used for extender to router communication. 
  2. Causes extra work for your router, which can slow the entire network down 

So I have moved into a different bedroom. In my old room I would get 60Mbps, and in my new room it has gone down to 10. Is there anything I can buy that I can for example, plug into my computer and run to a closer point in my home for better signal?

Currently I have a PCI-e WiFi adapter.

I just don't have the range anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

And Wired connection directly to my router isn't an option since I am on a different floor to it

If you have Coax near your computer and near the router you could look in to MOCA. Although the tech is kinda expensive. Another option is power line adapters, but they can be very flaky. 

You didn't indicate which WiFi band you using. Keep in mind 2.4 Ghz although slower has more range and can penetrate walls easier then 5 Ghz. If you have a router will detachable antenna's you might even look at using a directional antenna. Or in some cases, buying a better router can help. It really depends on a lot of factors. Most of the time if you got a Modem/Router Combo from your ISP, they tend to have shit WiFI. Which is why a better router or wireless AP can help. 

I have heard that the new Google Router works. Google has a router that you can buy one or a pack of 3. You can use a second and third device as range extenders. The only thing is, these are range extenders that actually work. Generally range extenders suck donkey balls, but Google has figured it out. SO you put a second Google router in a room closer to your main router where it has better signal and you can then extend wireless on your second floor. The only issue is, you have to replace your main router has well as buy another one for the extender. The other issue is the Google router only has 2 ports. One for internet and one for lan. So if you have multiple devices connected to your router via wire, you will need a switch. 

Personally Id look in to MOCA if you have coax in both locations. Then you can just connect your machine up wired via Moca adapter. The only issue with MOCA are as follows:

1. Does not work with Satellite TV service. While MOCA adapters work on frequencies above what your cable provider uses, Satellite providers use the Same Frequencies Moca uses. 
  2. If you get your Internet Via your cable provider you need a moca filter on your line. I know Comcast uses Moca on their X1 boxes, that how they do whole home DVR, so you might have a filter on your line if you have some kinda of Home DVR solution. 
  3. You need MOCA compatible splitters. These splitters allow two way communication. 
  4. You can only have 16 Moca device on a network. Not really an issue, but a Pair of Moca devices is about $160 USD

Now Power line

3. Works best if your on the same Circuit. If not then you will get speed loss. If on two different legs of your homes power, then it might not work at all. (Generally at least what I have seen in my home in the US. We have 1 240 Volt line that comes in and Splits in to 2 120 volt lines. If the you 2 cirucuts are on diffrent sides of the breaker panel then this is not the option for you. 
  4. Speeds are completely BS in this standard. Dont expect to get the speeds on the box

Range Extenders 

1. This is because the same radio that speaks to your device also speaks to your router. 
    2. Only exception is some of the new products such as Googles new router that has a dedicated radio that is used for extender to router communication. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

2 minutes ago, Donut417 said:

Now Power line

Range Extenders 

That is most responsible answer I ever see in this forum ; )

7 hours ago, zehao39 said:

That is most responsible answer I ever see in this forum ; )

Thanks.

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn.