Best eGPU solution for my Lenovo Y510p

Hello,

This is my first time posting on this forum, but I feel like this would be the best place to ask my question. So here we go.

So I have a Lenovo Y510p laptop  http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y510p/ with two Nvidia 750m GPUs running in SLI (this is option given the ultrabay support that lenovo has so I can take out the second GPU and only run one if I choose to.) I use this laptop basically as a desktop because my monitor is bigger and I have a mechanical keyboard that I like to use. So it stays closed and is hooked up to my monitor via HDMI. time is starting to take its toll on this computer and I'm wanting to build myself another desktop soon so what better way to start then to hold myself over with a eGPU until i slowly build my desktop.

Now to the nitty gritty. I'm here asking all of you your best opinions on how I will maximize the performance of this laptop with a eGPU. I would like to avoid bottlenecks the best I can, but as I said above this is just going to be temporary. If I'm not mistaken the only option I have is my mini pcie slot that my wifi card is in, but if any of you know a way to use the ultrabay that (i assume) would probably give me the best performance from the GPU. for the graphics card I plan on using. It will either be a GTX 1060 or a GTX 1070. I don't have any interest in having a AMD card. I have seen ultrabay extention egpus that work with AMD cards, but as i just said. I would rather go with Nvidia.

Thank you all in advance! I will try and post back as soon as I possibly can in reply to you all.

Don't try to make it happen, its not going to happen. Or if it is, it is going to perform horribly bad.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

You can't really put a egpu in there. The pcie slot is kinda hacky, and probably won't perform well at all(x1 gen 2 link)

Ultrabay slot does PCI-E x8 Gen2 afaik

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9686-y510p-ultrabay-graphics-card/&page=14

Gerald manufactures adapters, and it's like 70EUR on eBay. 

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Ultrabay slot does PCI-E x8 Gen2 afaik

https://www.techinferno.com/index.php?/forums/topic/9686-y510p-ultrabay-graphics-card/&page=14

Gerald manufactures adapters, and it's like 70EUR on eBay. 

Yeah that what I'm wanting to utilize. The only thing is as far as I'm aware the only cards that work are AMD cards. Some Bios limitations. I did recently flash a custom bios so I could upgrade my Wifi card. It had a whitelist on it. I don't know if that will help me or hurt me with this whole eGPU thing.

2 minutes ago, JoshuaLaManna said:

Yeah that what I'm wanting to utilize. The only thing is as far as I'm aware the only cards that work are AMD cards. Some Bios limitations. I did recently flash a custom bios so I could upgrade my Wifi card. It had a whitelist on it. I don't know if that will help me or hurt me with this whole eGPU thing.

No, it'll help, since it removes the whitelist on the ultrabay slot as well probably. Only works with AMD GPUs, yes. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

No, it'll help, since it removes the whitelist on the ultrabay slot as well probably. Only works with AMD GPUs, yes. 

I could settle for a RX 480. Maybe I'll get lucky and AMD will release their Vega line up by the time I decide to do this. I'm not really losing much by doing this so that why I'm wanting to. The only loss i have is buying the eGPU attachment/adapter. Later on I'm just gonna be throwing the card and power supply in my desktop.

1 minute ago, JoshuaLaManna said:

I could settle for a RX 480. Maybe I'll get lucky and AMD will release their Vega line up by the time I decide to do this. I'm not really losing much by doing this so that why I'm wanting to. The only loss i have is buying the eGPU attachment/adapter. Later on I'm just gonna be throwing the card and power supply in my desktop.

IMO you should just wait to see what you can do with a desktop, the eGPU is really fiddly and strange being 3rd party

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

IMO you should just wait to see what you can do with a desktop, the eGPU is really fiddly and strange being 3rd party

As of right now I already have a case for it. I bought a H440 back in December. was gonna use tax returns to finally build myself a solid machine, but my girlfriend and I are gonna be moving into a house soon so I'm gonna be needing that money to get started. I can get a GPU and power supply and such though. Thats why I'm wanting to do it. Plus this laptops CPU is great i7 4700MQ is fantasic for being in a laptop. just such a waste pairing it with these 750m's.