Upgrading old PC

hello i have a old pc that my uncle gave me that he built in like 2008 or something and its more than about time to upgrade it lol. im trying to spend around 400 tell me what you think i should get so i can play games at a decent fps  like cs:go, gta5 i know there are millions of youtube videos but im super new to the pc world, so please take a look at what im working with now.

System Manufacturer: INTEL_
       System Model: DG45ID__
               BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/08/08 15:50:39 Ver: 08.00.10
          Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E6300  @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

please let me know on what you think i should do i was thinking about getting a better cpu and ram since i have a dual core  but if its possibble i would like to get a new motherboard, ram and cpu  since im using ddr2 atm. but i really dont know so thats why i am on here lol. ok thanks for looking at my post im looking forward to seeing what you think i should do 

I would recommend a complete new system tbh

what is your budget to spend on pc parts?

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

1 minute ago, Damnkid said:

like 400 or so

That's pretty doable for a machine to play CS:GO, as long as Windows isn't part of that budget.

Yep. I would recommend a new system.

you would need a new CPU and GPU, which would require new RAM, a new MOBO, and... you've basically got a whole system.

check to see if the PSU is good enough to re-use though. it should save a few bucks if it has enough watts and is good quality.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

3 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

That's pretty doable for a machine to play CS:GO, as long as Windows isn't part of that budget.

i have a 1tb hdd, 650 power supply, and a decent case 

3 minutes ago, Damnkid said:

i have a 1tb hdd, 650 power supply, and a decent case 

In that case you can build something very nice:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($64.79 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($54.92 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING Video Card  ($194.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $388.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-09 01:40 EST-0500

2 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

In that case you can build something very nice:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($73.98 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($54.92 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB GAMING Video Card  ($194.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $388.68
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-09 01:40 EST-0500

I would recommend RX480 4GB instead of the 3GB GTX 1060.

there's a link in my sig to an explanation why.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

If you can reuse your case and stuff, this is best price/performance you'll get

Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($26.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Crucial 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($26.88 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon RX 480 4GB Red Dragon Video Card  ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $382.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-09 01:46 EST-0500

idk

The system I recommended should play GTA V pretty damn well. The Pentium G4560 is just a little behind the i3-6100, which is a little more powerful than the simulated i3 I tested GTA V on my computer by disabling two cores of my Xeon E3-1231v3 to simulate a 3.8 GHz Haswell i3. I was running with a GTX 970, and the GTX 1060 3GB is a little more powerful I think. My experience with running that system was GTA V would usually play at around 70 fps on 1080 very high settings, with drops to the low 50s fps in downtown Los Santos. Very smooth and playable. But do not under any circumstance buy a lower end Pentium than the G4560, as the lower ones don't have hyperthreading, which makes an absolute night and day difference in GTA V performance. One of the dual core Pentiums without hyperthreading will run the game worse than the XBox 360, I'm not kidding, I have the 360 version of the game and the PC version and when I disabled two cores and hyperthreading on my Xeon to simulate a 3.8 GHz Haswell Pentium the game was unplayable, like 20-25 fps. Much worse than my XBox 360 version which can at least run at 30 fps. I should also note my performance numbers are from single player, as I have never played the multiplayer.

6 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

What power supply do you have though?

rosewill 650 watt 80 plus bronze power

1 minute ago, Damnkid said:

rosewill 650 watt 80 plus bronze power

should be more than enough for both machines in this thread, and you can probably reuse your case, and hdds as well.

idk

6 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I would recommend RX480 4GB instead of the 3GB GTX 1060.

there's a link in my sig to an explanation why.

I wouldn't. Digital Foundry has shown DX11 games still lose performance with low end cpus when run on AMD cards, even the 480.

1 minute ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

I wouldn't. Digital Foundry has shown DX11 games still lose performance with low end cpus when run on AMD cards, even the 480.

Nope, they've fixed the overhead issue significantly, and the 480 is kicking even more ass than it used to. 

idk

6 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Nope, they've fixed the overhead issue significantly, and the 480 is kicking even more ass than it used to. 

Digital Foundry published that result around 3-6 days ago. The 480 is better than the 1060 when you're rocking an i5 or i7 but this DX11 overhead problem with AMD cards has not been fixed for i3 and below according to their testing. Sucks because I have hated recommending Nvidia cards at the low end for years, as AMD almost always beats them at $250 and below if you have an i5 or better.

9 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Digital Foundry published that result around 3-6 days ago. The 480 is better than the 1060 when you're rocking an i5 or i7 but this DX11 overhead problem with AMD cards has not been fixed for i3 and below according to their testing.

Can't find it anywhere, link?

idk

27 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

6:55 mark

480 4 gb is the same card as the 480 8gb just less vram while 1060 3gb is a buffed up 1050ti. the rx 480 8gb is getting better i would highly suggest that over a 1060. 

your biggest limiting factor is your CPU. you can easily get a GTX 1050ti and 4GB more of RAM and it'll be pretty nice. maybe you can grab a quad core CPU for that socket.. i'm not sure. but that'll be a nice budget system and it'll cost you less than your budget i'd imagine. :)

If not a new system with something like a G4560 will give you a good upgrade path. 

otherwise grab a i5 7500 and keep it, you'll use it for a long time and be fine. :)

48 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

yup saw that..gtx 1060 better choice

plus I saw a cheap Asrock B150M Pro4/Hyper board which can run faster ram, should help with cpu bottleneck..cant find the link though

22 minutes ago, Avve1000 said:

whats the power supply? 

rosewill 650w power supply

1 hour ago, Damnkid said:

rosewill 650w power supply

3 hours ago, Damnkid said:

hello i have a old pc that my uncle gave me that he built in like 2008 or something and its more than about time to upgrade it lol. im trying to spend around 400 tell me what you think i should get so i can play games at a decent fps  like cs:go, gta5 i know there are millions of youtube videos but im super new to the pc world, so please take a look at what im working with now.

System Manufacturer: INTEL_
       System Model: DG45ID__
               BIOS: BIOS Date: 10/08/08 15:50:39 Ver: 08.00.10
          Processor: Pentium(R) Dual-Core  CPU      E6300  @ 2.80GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti

please let me know on what you think i should do i was thinking about getting a better cpu and ram since i have a dual core  but if its possibble i would like to get a new motherboard, ram and cpu  since im using ddr2 atm. but i really dont know so thats why i am on here lol. ok thanks for looking at my post im looking forward to seeing what you think i should do 

whats the storage? 

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!

you should keep the storage you have anyways, and you powersupply and buy this? anyone got any opinions? what to get rid of and what to get?

//Thanks

Avve1000
Setup in Profile!