how to make portable charger stay on ?

spwath

I'm doing a project with a USB battery bank for power, problem is, it doesn't detect a device because I just use power Pins. How can I change that?

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

it should discharge anyways i think. try using a charging cable on it, those don't have data lines most of the time.

1 minute ago, tlink said:

it should discharge anyways i think. try using a charging cable on it, those don't have data lines most of the time.

But shouldn't there be some charge controller, which is used to prevent such things? Can be kinda complicated.

9 minutes ago, spwath said:

it doesn't detect a device because I just use power Pins. How can I change that?

thats the first time i heard a power bank do that kind of detection, usually they're just discharge current based.

how much current are you drawing from the thing?

1 minute ago, paprikman said:

But shouldn't there be some charge controller, which is used to prevent such things? Can be kinda complicated.

short answer no, long answer is that depends on the product and how its designed. i can see over discharge and shortcircuit protection because otherwise it would blow up, but that is measured over the power lines, not data. like in this video, he just hooks up the power with some resistance and it discharges.

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

short answer no, long answer is that depends on the product and how its designed. i can see over discharge and shortcircuit protection because otherwise it would blow up, but that is measured over the power lines, not data. like in this video, he just hooks up the power with some resistance and it discharges.

kinda unrelated, but i really just wanna add that the idea behind that video is completely idiotic, just picking up a 4.7 ohm ceramic resistor would have had the same effect as the cpu...

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

kinda unrelated, but i really just wanna add that the idea behind that video is completely idiotic, just picking up a 4.7 ohm ceramic resistor would have had the same effect as the cpu...

yea i know, its silly. but i think he just did it because the cpu is worth next to nothing and he had it laying around and wanted something that would give him some internet nerd points. he also made some crazy flashlights with barely any use, or a heavily modded pc for incredibly silent computing. most of his projects are more about learning skills while also having some real world functionality.

edit: oh shit i got two people mixed up, this is great scott. eh.

33 minutes ago, tlink said:

it doesn't. It only works if i

charge my phone from the battery at the same time

31 minutes ago, manikyath said:

thats the first time i heard a power bank do that kind of detection, usually they're just discharge current based.

how much current are you drawing from the thing?

about 6w so 1.2a ish.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

2 minutes ago, spwath said:

it doesn't. It only works if i

charge my phone from the battery at the same time

about 6w so 1.2a ish.

which power bank are you using? o.O

also, plugging in a cheapo USB mouse may be a "bodge fix"

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

which power bank are you using? o.O

also, plugging in a cheapo USB mouse may be a "bodge fix"

I'll have to check. I think it's anker or some one else not sketchy.

ill plug in my old wireless mouse receiver, that should work

1 hour ago, spwath said:

I'll have to check. I think it's anker or some one else not sketchy.

ill plug in my old wireless mouse receiver, that should work

i would love to see a high res picture of the PCB if you can open it up without destroying it/voiding warranty.

6 minutes ago, tlink said:

i would love to see a high res picture of the PCB if you can open it up without destroying it/voiding warranty.

doesn't look easy to open without breaking. No screws.

1 minute ago, spwath said:

doesn't look easy to open without breaking. No screws.

eh :( thanks anyways!

Your going to need to short the data lines. So if you have a normal cable, 4 wires, the red and black would be power and the other 2 data. Wire in your power connections and connect the other 2 lines together, thus it will tell the charger something is there.

17 hours ago, r4tch3t said:

Your going to need to short the data lines. So if you have a normal cable, 4 wires, the red and black would be power and the other 2 data. Wire in your power connections and connect the other 2 lines together, thus it will tell the charger something is there.

I'm not 100% sure this will work, but it is exactly what I was going to suggest. It's worth a shot.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

1 hour ago, KaminKevCrew said:

I'm not 100% sure this will work, but it is exactly what I was going to suggest. It's worth a shot.

ill try. It's a portable speaker, for now I just charge my phone at the same time and it works.