First time build, want opinions on draft

So this is my first time building a PC and after some research and revision of my build draft I would like to hear some opinions on it. Open to any kind of suggestions for the build. Although I've done quite a bit of research, I'm still not sure about the compatibility of these components so would like clarification. The build is for gaming (Forza Horizon 3, Battlefield 1, etc) and some 3D animation work on a 1080p monitor as of now, might get a 1440p ultrawide some time later. I intend to overclock CPU and GPU. It is a white/black color scheme with x3 purple front fans. 

Build Draft:

CPU: 1151 Intel i5 7600k 3.8GHz              $276

GPU: ASUS Dual GTX 1060 OC 6gb         $282

MOBO: ASRock z270 Killer SLI                 $138

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LED 16gb          $148

CASE: Thermaltake View27 Mid-ATX         $85

SSD: Crucial m.2 275gb MX300                $102

PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 550w     $96

FAN: Corsair AF120 Purple x3                   $37

CPUCOOLER: ID Frostflow 120L               $62

Total                                                      $1226 (USD)

I intend to upgrade the graphics card somewhere down the line, maybe when the Nvidia Volta series when they come out, so for now I'll go with a 1060. I'm trying to use as future proof components as possible. I am happy with the specs, just want some opinions and compatibility clarification. Thanks.

Should all be good but do you really need to pay the premium for LED RAM? Also Super Flower PSU? I'd try and swap that out for a decent Corsair, EVGA or Seasonic unit. You should never skimp out on your PSU.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Should all be good but do you really need to pay the premium for LED RAM? Also Super Flower PSU? I'd try and swap that out for a decent Corsair, EVGA or Seasonic unit. You should never skimp out on your PSU.

I like to keep good aesthetics on the build and I feel like other DDR4 Ram is not that much cheaper so I feel like it would be cool to have them. Also I have read many threads and they say Super Flower produce PSUs for EVGA and have pretty good quality, is it not true? I was originally planning on corsair but after some reading some comparisons online it looked like Super Flower produce higher quality PSUs.

5 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

agree, would rather go more ram, then led ram:p altho 16 is good enoug i think :)

Otherwise it seems good :D

Main Rig:

CPU: Intel i7 6800k @ 4.2- 4.3 ghz 1.390V CPU Cooler: Corsair H110i GT Motherboard:  Asus x99-E LGA 2011-3 RAM: 32GB DDR4 4 x 8 GB Hyperx Fyru 2133 Mhz Storage: Intel 535 240 GB SSD, Intel 530 240 GB SSD, Seagate Barracuda 2.0 TG SSHD  GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual OC cooled by an NZXT G10 & Intel TS13X running @ 1904/2126mhz and 4475mhz Memory+Stock Asus GTX 1070 Dual OC Case: INWin GR One Power Supply: Corsair HX850i Monitor: Hitach 49" 4k lowms TV and a 24 AOC 1080p Monitor Keyboard:  Corasir Vengance K90 & Logitech G13 Speedpad Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO/G602 on an Icemat 2.0 w/glides :P Speakers: LG LAS455H(D8) Soundbar & Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum Snow Edition Headphones

NAS/CS:GO Server

CPU: AMD FX8320 Stock Cooler: Corsair H100i M otherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990 REV 2.0 RAM: 4x4 GB Corsair Vengance Storage: 2 x Kingston Hyperx 120 GB SSD & 4 X Seagate 2 TB SSHD
GPU: random nvidia 512 mb card PSU: Coolermaster B500 Case: NZXT Phantom S240 Addons: NZXT LXE Fancontrol Intel quad gigabit eterhernet card.

Superflower makes good PSUs, nothing wrong with that.

Id go with sp fans instead of af fans though, youll need some static pressure with that case. Also the SP fans are more usefull if you want to use them as radiator fans etc later on.

3 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

Superflower makes good PSUs, nothing wrong with that.

Id go with sp fans instead of af fans though, youll need some static pressure

with that case. Also the SP fans are more usefull if you want to use them as radiator fans etc later on.

What if I only use them for front case airflow? would SP fans be necessary?

21 minutes ago, NeptuneSpear said:

3D animation work

Get an i7 7700 + b250 motherboard and use stock cooler, it will perform superiorly to the i5 7600k regardless the OC you apply on it while the Hyper-Threading is going to increase performance in animations programs, video editing programs, rendering times etc a lot compared to the i5... and even extra frames per second on games, it is a much better route.

Hyper-Threading also will give it greater life span lasting longer, you won't need a new CPU in at least 4 to  5 years.

Depending on your country prices too I would advise going with the RX 480 8gb because Free-Sync monitors are much cheaper and the RX 480 has been outperforming the GTX 1060 in DX12 titles which will become more common now-on.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, NeptuneSpear said:

What if I only use them for front case airflow? would SP fans be necessary?

The front of your Case only has side Intakes, that is pretty restricted as far as airflow goes. Airflow fans are only slighty better than static pressure fans if the airflow is pretty unrestricted (at the back exhaust for example), but they can perform extremely poorly compared to static pressure fans if the airflow is restricted. Id definitely go with the Sp variant there.

18 minutes ago, NeptuneSpear said:

I like to keep good aesthetics on the build

RGB ram is not how you keep good aesthetics, RGB ram is how you show you need to compensate for *other things* :D

7 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

Get an i7 7700 + b250 motherboard and use stock cooler, it will perform superiorly to the i5 7600k regardless the OC you apply on it while the Hyper-Threading is going to increase performance in animations programs, video editing programs, rendering times etc a lot compared to the i5... and even extra frames per second on games, it is a much better route.

B250 mobos doesn't really have some features I'm looking for and doesn't look as good. Aside from aesthetics, both CPUs clock at 4.2GHz so is it really that much faster? If it is not a real significant increase I feel like I wouldn't opt for the i7 because it is almost $85 more for me and I'm pretty much at my budget limit.

10 minutes ago, Rolling Potatoe said:

The front of your Case only has side Intakes, that is pretty restricted as far as airflow goes. Airflow fans are only slighty better than static pressure fans if the airflow is pretty unrestricted (at the back exhaust for example), but they can perform extremely poorly compared to static pressure fans if the airflow is restricted. Id definitely go with the Sp variant there.

Ok, if I am able to find the ones that fit my build I will definitely change. Thanks :)

8 minutes ago, manikyath said:

RGB ram is not how you keep good aesthetics, RGB ram is how you show you need to compensate for *other things* :D

hahaha... maybe :(

31 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

What are you talking about? Super Flower's PSUs are one of the best Tier 1s in the market.

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

5 minutes ago, NeptuneSpear said:

hahaha... maybe :(

to use a quote of what i said in a discord chat this morning:

there's tasteful

then there's eyecatching

then.. theres this...

Wait for Ryzen, I guess.

Please quote me so that I know that you have replied unless it is my own topic.

1 minute ago, Ezio Auditore said:

Wait for Ryzen, I guess.

I heard Ryzen would be a Skylake tier processor? Do you think there would be a significant upgrade in terms of performance to price? I have looked into this for a bit and feel like it is just being overhyped like some other hardware releases. And if wait, about how long would it take? Sorry, I'm not too informed in this subject. :P

14 minutes ago, NeptuneSpear said:

Aside from aesthetics, both CPUs clock at 4.2GHz so is it really that much faster? If it is not a real significant increase I feel like I wouldn't opt for the i7 because it is almost $85 more for me and I'm pretty much at my budget limit.

The fact you will cheap up on motherboard and only stock cooler makes the price gap smaller and yes, core clock speeds are important but not the only thing that matters, like I stated HT will gain you remarkable boost in performance on these applications that parallel well, otherwise i7 would be ´useless´ xD.

There are good looking b250´s mobos too I am not sure what features that it lacks that you are looking for though...

here is an example why HT is so good, even the overclocked 6600k reaching 4.6ghz the lower core clock speed locked i7 6700 still outperforms it on games.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

5 minutes ago, NeptuneSpear said:

I heard Ryzen would be a Skylake tier processor? Do you think there would be a significant upgrade in terms of performance to price? I have looked into this for a bit and feel like it is just being overhyped like some other hardware releases. And if wait, about how long would it take? Sorry, I'm not too informed in this subject. :P

I beleive Ryzen is coming in Q1 so this or the next month and Ryzen is somewhat a skylake tier cpu but how much is the difference between skylake and kabylake than a '+' sign. Also Ryzen's price to perf is pretty good(rumoured).

15 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

here is an example why HT is so good, even the overclocked 6600k reaching 4.6ghz the lower core clock speed locked i7 6700 still outperforms it on games.

It looks like the GPU is bottlenecking so not much of an accurate comparison. I will take your your word for it and look further into this as I will be changing multiple components, might take some time. Thanks :D

14 minutes ago, Ezio Auditore said:

I beleive Ryzen is coming in Q1 so this or the next month and Ryzen is somewhat a skylake tier cpu but how much is the difference between skylake and kabylake than a '+' sign. Also Ryzen's price to perf is pretty good(rumoured).

Seems interesting, do you think there is any chance of Intel dropping prices to compete the Ryzen processors? As I'm not in too much of a hurry I think I might as well atleast wait till they come out before I start buying.

26 minutes ago, NeptuneSpear said:

It looks like the GPU is bottlenecking so not much of an accurate comparison. I will take your your word for it and look further into this as I will be changing multiple components, might take some time. Thanks :D

Seems interesting, do you think there is any chance of Intel dropping prices to compete the Ryzen processors? As I'm not in too much of a hurry I think I might as well atleast wait till they come out before I start buying.

There could be price drops if Ryzen turns out to be brilliant in price to perf. Now-a-days games are not that cpu intensive so it won't matter much buying intel right now unless you do other 'stuff'. So now I feel it is not the battle for performance you are looking for but how hard it is on your pocket. If you don't mind the possibility of wasting a few bucks, go ahead but if you want the best value for your money you should probably wait.

2 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Also Super Flower PSU? I'd try and swap that out for a decent Corsair, EVGA or Seasonic unit. You should never skimp out on your PSU.

SuperFlower Leadex = EVGA G2 Supernova. SuperFlower make both of the units, along with other EVGA ones.

2 hours ago, NeptuneSpear said:

I like to keep good aesthetics on the build and I feel like other DDR4 Ram is not that much cheaper so I feel like it would be cool to have them. Also I have read many threads and they say Super Flower produce PSUs for EVGA and have pretty good quality, is it not true? I was originally planning on corsair but after some reading some comparisons online it looked like Super Flower produce higher quality PSUs.

SuperFlower are a quality oem. Where Country are you located in ? as SuperFlower are only available in UK/Europe and your prices are in $$$.

7 minutes ago, lee32uk said:

SuperFlower are a quality oem. Where Country are you located in ? as SuperFlower are only available in UK/Europe and your prices are in $$$.

As of now I am in Thailand, but since I usually live in the US, I used US currency.

8 hours ago, NeptuneSpear said:

Hey, if that's true about the PSU then that's cool, I've personally never heard off them but that likely just ignorance on my part :)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)