rx 480 8gb or gtx 1060 6gb

I'm really struggling to decide between upgrading my current build to an RX 480 8gb or a GTX 1060 6gb. I live in Australia and an XFX 480 8gb costs $360 and an MSI gaming 1060 6gb costs $425. I don't know whether the $65 price difference is worth it. Looking at benchmarks it is pretty even and I'm leaning towards the 480 because it is that much cheaper. Really just looking for some opinions to solidify my decision.

Thanks 

At equal price the 480 still edges it for me, more vram, very similar performance - trading blows in various titles. At $65 less, just grab the 480

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

2 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

thats an easy choice, RX480 FTW

i am an owner myself, very pleased

Be honest with me, and let go of any loyalty you have.  Have you experienced any instability with the RX480 drivers?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Be honest with me, and let go of any loyalty you have.  Have you experienced any instability with the RX480 drivers?

i haven't. If anything ive gotten performance gain with my 480

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

oh my god op, never ask this again. 480. People have set forums on fire over this in the past, and the 480 has come out on top with finewine. its really a google search away.

1 minute ago, Goodman2265 said:

i haven't. If anything ive gotten performance gain with my 480

I've heard people with the 480 say that the drivers are unstable.  Of course, with Fine Wine I expect that to be fixed, if it hasn't already.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, Xandaaa said:

oh my god op, never ask this again. 480. People have set forums on fire over this in the past, and the 480 has come out on top with finewine. its really a google search away.

We need a pinned topic.

9 minutes ago, Nacho Libre said:

Clearly the 480

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

6 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

My Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4GB hits 1440mhz stock voltage, never had a driver issue, aside from some insane eyefinity set up issues

and the cheaper free-sync display is nice, almost no reason to buy a 1060 for me

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Xandaaa said:

you mean another "should I get the nvidia 970 or the AMD 390" ....... 

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

I've heard people with the 480 say that the drivers are unstable.  Of course, with Fine Wine I expect that to be fixed, if it hasn't already.

Never heard anyone say this

CPU: A8-5600K GPU: MSI RX 480 GAMING X 4GB MOBO: ASUS A55BM-PLUS 

RAM: 2x 4GB Samsung DDR3-1600 1.25V PSU: Corsair CX430 CASE: Enermax Ostrog Windowed STORAGE: PNY CS1111 120GB / Hitachi 1TB 7200RPM OS: Windows 10 Pro & macOS Sierra 10.12.3

IIRC, that 480 you're referring to is the GTR.one of the best, if not the best rx 480s out there. No doubt you should get the 480, they trade blows now and for much less.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

2 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

you mean another "should I get the nvidia 970 or the AMD 390" ....... 

the 970 gets wrecked now

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Goodman2265 said:

Never heard anyone say this

It was awhile ago, but I don't remember when.  I went without work for awhile (the reason my post count went up so fast in such a short amount of time xD), and the days just flowed together. It's possible that it was an early on issue.

Anyway, I've proposed a sticky topic.

it would be a no brainer if one cost 65 bucks more. just get the 480 as it performs very similarly to the gtx 1060 if not better. 

2 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

the 970 gets wrecked now

Im talking when this was relevent - obviously isnt anymore as the 390 has advanced on and on 

18 months ago, it wasnt so clear, it was basically SLI, power or heat requirements go 970, if no worries about heat/power and dont wanna crossfire (cause 390 hot as fuck) go 390 - obviously as the driver matured and nvidia gimped the 970 (controversial! ) the 390 owned, same as were seeing now with the 480 slowly but surely 

Ryzen Ram Guide

10 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They arent unless your oc is unstable 

12 hours ago, Nacho Libre said:

I'm really struggling to decide between upgrading my current build to an RX 480 8gb or a GTX 1060 6gb. I live in Australia and an XFX 480 8gb costs $360 and an MSI gaming 1060 6gb costs $425. I don't know whether the $65 price difference is worth it. Looking at benchmarks it is pretty even and I'm leaning towards the 480 because it is that much cheaper. Really just looking for some opinions to solidify my decision.

Thanks 

where do you freaking live to have this prices?

12 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

it would be a no brainer if one cost 65 bucks more. just get the 480 as it performs very similarly to the gtx 1060 if not better. 

yeah... but the dx11 Performance is baaaaad, and i mean dx11 is still a thing

12 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

Typical Thread starting  Insert AMD Drivers Suck  Nvidia is God AMD will set your house on Fire.  all nvidia does is rip people off ect.   

I Thought from my memory overall the 1060 slightly edged out the 480 in majoirty of your typical games going off launch reviews off the top of my head. and that it made sense price wise 480 slightly less money and slightly worse 1060 slightly better slightly more money.

I would just go with what your budget allows or what you feel like spending seeing the difference will not be big between the two and if your not a crazy stickler for settings but just want to play 1080p at 60fps with good graphics then just go for the cheaper one cause will a setting or two maybe being lowered matter? 

another way to look at it is pick 5 games you want to or do play Find benchmarks and see is the 15% price increase benefiting you with 15% more performance in these games ? Maybe since your on the edge figure out the Performance per dollar and see if its worth it to you 

12 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

no i have not i am being honest it has only crashed when i was experimenting with overclocking

24 minutes ago, luegnicl said:

yeah... but the dx11 Performance is baaaaad, and i mean dx11 is still a thing

you forget one thing, today there most dx11 games can be run on the rx 480 no problem, it will be future games that will start to become more and more taxing, and those will probably be dx12 and vulkan, where rx480 shines.

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

you forget one thing, today there most dx11 games can be run on the rx 480 no problem, it will be future games that will start to become more and more taxing, and those will probably be dx12 and vulkan, where rx480 shines.

25% difference in gta 5 for example. there are some Little Advantages for the 480 in dx12  but Vulkan and OpenGL are better at the 1060

3 minutes ago, luegnicl said:

25% difference in gta 5 for example. there are some Little Advantages in dx12 , but Vulkan and OpenGL is better at the 1060

what you mean? i didn't understood the last part. And gta 5 is one of the only examples you can find that have significantly  lower perf than the 1060