I3 6100 vs FX 8300 Overclocked

If I only get £500 of budget for my build instead of £550 (which is reasonably likely), should I get the i3 6100 and a h110 motherboard , or a FX 8300 with a 970 board and a decent cooler, pushing it to crazy high clock speeds. The rest of the build would have a Rx 480 4GB or a Rx 470 8gb and 8gbs of RAM.

There's few 970 boards that will get you solid overclocks on FX8, you'll need to specifically find one that has good VRMs, such as the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P.

It really depends what kind of games you'll be playing. Some will be better with the FX8's more cores, while others will be better with the i3's higher IPC.

"Rawr XD"

for gabens sake dont buy FX, zen is literally about to drop. If you really have to have a system now get the pentium 4560 its i3 performance for less than $100 and can handle up to a 1060

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

16 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

There's few 970 boards that will get you solid overclocks on FX8, you'll need to specifically find one that has good VRMs, such as the Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P.

It really depends what kind of games you'll be playing. Some will be better with the FX8's more cores, while others will be better with the i3's higher IPC.

Shadow of Mordor, CS:GO and a lot of valve games (TF2 half life 2 Dota 2 etc) either GTA V or BF1, star wars battlefront, overwatch , bit of Minecraft and whatever looks good during steam sales

1 minute ago, Ostwind said:

for gabens sake dont buy FX, zen is literally about to drop

OK. Makes sense

2 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

Shadow of Mordor, CS:GO and a lot of valve games (TF2 half life 2 Dota 2 etc) either GTA V or BF1, star wars battlefront, overwatch , bit of Minecraft and whatever looks good during steam sales

More of those will run better on the single-threaded-happy i3 than the FX, the exceptions being GTA 5 and BF1. 

As Ostwind mentioned, if you can wait out for Ryzen you'd have a more worthwhile comparison.

"Rawr XD"

20 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

I can afford the ASRock 970 extreme4 and the MSI 970 g43?

some videos for this topic

4 minutes ago, Ostwind said:

for gabens sake dont buy FX, zen is literally about to drop. If you really have to have a system now get the pentium 4560 its i3 performance for less than $100 and can handle up to a 1060

If buying an i5 6400 should I still wait for zen

4 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

I can afford the ASRock 970 extreme4 and the MSI 970 g43?

Extreme4 is suitable for stock speeds but not for overclocking.

G43 VRMs would probably break if you breathe on them.

"Rawr XD"

1 minute ago, Ethan Meskin said:

honestly I would wait for zen, its looking really good so far if the various leaks are to be believed and there are supposedly a lot of budget chips in the zen lineup that could compete well price/performance wise against chips like the i5-6400.

4 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

Considering how close the release is, yes.

"Rawr XD"

4 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Extreme4 is suitable for stock speeds but not for overclocking.

G43 VRMs would probably break if you breathe on them.

Are there any good overclocking boards under 70ish, I'm relatively new to this stuff and haven't really considered overclocking on Intel because of the price so I don't know shit

3 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

Are there any good overclocking boards under 70ish, I'm relatively new to this stuff and haven't really considered overclocking on Intel because of the price so I don't know shit

Unfortunately you're not going to get a good 970 overclocking board for under $70. If your budget is too low for a higher end board and you're unfamiliar with overclocking, don't go for the FX. Just wait out for Ryzen, and then see what's better for your budget once it's released.

"Rawr XD"

3 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

Unfortunately you're not going to get a good 970 overclocking board for under $70. If your budget is too low for a higher end board and you're unfamiliar with overclocking, don't go for the FX. Just wait out for Ryzen, and then see what's better for your budget once it's released.

OK. With ryzen from what I've heard the 4c/4t will be the cheapest CPUs , would it be better to buy the best overclocking 4c/4t and a hypothetical am4 overclocking chipset motherboard or a cheapest 4c/8t and a regular am4 motherboard (this is all speculation)

24 minutes ago, Aniallation said:

BTW how does this look for £550

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fftrWX
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/fftrWX/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£165.00 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£44.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Memory: PNY Anarchy 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£39.55 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.94 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 8GB Gaming X Video Card  (£203.16 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 Window ATX Mid Tower Case  (£28.00 @ Aria PC) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£47.91 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £564.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-06 09:50 GMT+0000

4 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

The only 970 boards capable of doing what you want are the asus 970 gaming aura and the asus m5a97 pro r2.0, the rest either top out at around 4.4ghz or have a weak power phase design not suitable for intense overclocking, but even for this you will need some cooling for the vrm area. Actually there is one more mobo that might pull it off, the msi970 gaming motherboard (NOT the SLI krait one), but its a must to change the thermal pads to avoid leaking and you got to provide it a good cooling system.

Any prediction as to what a OCing am4 board will cost if I wait for Zen? I need a motherboard CPU and maybe cooler for around £215, currently I'm thinking it 6400 and stock cooler and cheap h110

7 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Made a few edits in the post with more info, as for zen ocing, dunno, all i know is that most of their cpu's are unlocked except for some low tier apus, and same goes for chipsets, except for the lowest tier chipset you can oc on most.

So (if I wait for Zen)would I be better off with a good oC motherboard and the cheaper optimal overclocking quad core and like a hyper 212 Evo or cryorig h7 o more cores less overclocking CPU cheaper Mobo and run on stock cooler.

4 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

There's to many veriables to speculate, depending on the power consumption and number of cores it might be all up to vrms a considerable amount when it comes to oc, but since it has a better ipc you will probably get very nice performance even on stock, that i can say.

With Zen?

3 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Yes, with zen.

Can you check out my most recent post, I'd like some help with that. By the way , I'm not sure what my budget will be, it could be anywhere from £450 to £600 which is why I have posts for tons of different budgets

2 hours ago, Ostwind said:

get the pentium 4560 its i3 performance for less than $100 and can handle up to a 1060 960 2GB

Oh no way. That Pentium gets maxed out @100% across all 4 threads with a GTX 960 2GB in GTA V...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

On 2/6/2017 at 6:46 AM, Morgan MLGman said:

Oh no way. That Pentium gets maxed out @100% across all 4 threads with a GTX 960 2GB in GTA V...

Watch the videos I posted above, DF does mention that very CPU heavy games would result in lower performance but a few games out of a majority having lesser performance doesnt lower the overall bar. GTA5 is quite CPU intensive and and i3 would fare similarly regardless of the clockspeed. The Pentium 4560 is an amazing budget chip that has a few caveats just like every piece of budget hardware.

On 2/6/2017 at 4:30 PM, Ethan Meskin said:

OK. With ryzen from what I've heard the 4c/4t will be the cheapest CPUs , would it be better to buy the best overclocking 4c/4t and a hypothetical am4 overclocking chipset motherboard or a cheapest 4c/8t and a regular am4 motherboard (this is all speculation)

Being all speculation, we have no idea what specific parts will be like. If it's similar to what the FX is, they will all be overclocking capable. 

"Rawr XD"