US/Canada socket in UK

stormoconnor

I live in the United Kingdom, but spend a lot of time in the US and Canada visiting family.

I own lots of appliances that use the US/Canada two prong plug, which I bring back to the UK. All of these appliances are rated 100-240V~50/60Hz. I was wondering if wiring an American socket in my British home would be possible/safe if used with only these appliances.

Alternatively, I was interested in an extension cord with several US/CAD sockets that would connect to a my British sockets at home.

Lastly, my British plugs such as my laptop charger has an earth/ground prong is it possible when using it in the US/CAD to get a power adapter that has an earth/ground pin.

5 hours ago, stormoconnor said:

All of these appliances are rated 100-240V~50/60Hz. I was wondering if wiring an American socket in my British home would be possible/safe if used with only these appliances.

Voltage and frequency look to be fine.

5 hours ago, stormoconnor said:

is it possible when using it in the US/CAD to get a power adapter that has an earth/ground pin.

Yes, I will include a picture.

electricity-type-B-socket-218x300.jpgImage result for us electrical outlet specifications

On 2/5/2017 at 4:15 PM, Qwweb said:

Voltage and frequency look to be fine.

Yes, I will include a picture.

electricity-type-B-socket-218x300.jpgImage result for us electrical outlet specifications

I meant an adapter that will allow me to plug an earthed/grounded uk socket into a grounded us socket

Possible yes, safe no. The higher voltage is potentially dangerous, as the American plugs are not rated to operate at 220-240. The UK plug, while bulky, is a very well designed plug with lots of safety features embedded into it. If anything I would recommend a step down transformer.

Cheers!

Quote or tag if you want me to answer! PM me if you are in a real hurry!

Why do Java developers wear glasses? Because they can't C#!

My Machines:

The Gaming Rig:

Spoiler

-Processor: i5 6600k @4.6GHz

-Graphics: GTX1060 6GB G1 Gaming

-RAM: 2x8GB HyperX DDR4 2133MHz

-Motherboard: Asus Z170-A

-Cooler: Corsair H100i

-PSU: EVGA 650W 80+bronze

-AOC 1080p ultrawide

My good old laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo T430

-Processor: i7 3520M

-4GB DDR3 1600MHz

-Graphics: intel iGPU :(

-Not even 1080p

On 2/5/2017 at 3:00 PM, stormoconnor said:

I live in the United Kingdom, but spend a lot of time in the US and Canada visiting family.

I own lots of appliances that use the US/Canada two prong plug, which I bring back to the UK. All of these appliances are rated 100-240V~50/60Hz. I was wondering if wiring an American socket in my British home would be possible/safe if used with only these appliances.

Alternatively, I was interested in an extension cord with several US/CAD sockets that would connect to a my British sockets at home.

Lastly, my British plugs such as my laptop charger has an earth/ground prong is it possible when using it in the US/CAD to get a power adapter that has an earth/ground pin.

uk plugs are ring mains while nearly everywhere else isnt so uk plugs are rated up to 32 amps, i dont know if the american/candian ones are rated that high. Also do you even know what ring mains is? Any changes to a UK homes electricity has to be signed off by a electrician. If you dont you invalidate insurance and you cant sell the house and a load of other things.

I think the best thing is to just get a load of adapters. 

On 2/5/2017 at 7:00 AM, stormoconnor said:

You can wire the US/CAN device for UK only if it's rated for it. It should say near the power plug what kind of power it takes. If it says 100V-240V (50Hz-60Hz), you're fine. If it says only say 120V 60Hz, you're not and have to buy a converter.

You can buy a US power strip and a UK plug,  cut the cable of the power strip near the plug and connect the wires from the cable into the UK plug.  Now you can plug the power strip into UK mains and it should work just fine to power all kinds of small US power adapters.

It will work ONLY with switching power supplies, the adapters that say on their labels something like 90...250v AC 50-60 Hz input , something DC output  ..  if the adapter/power supply says only 110 or a small range around 110v you shouldn't use it in UK where you have 230v AC at the wall.

You have live and neutral wires and the earth wire. Earth is pretty much green or green/yellow everywhere,  live and neutral colors vary.  Live is usually brown (you remember easily because you poo your pants -or die- if you touch it, neutral is usually blue. Live wire always goes on the UK plug where the fuse is, usually to the right as you look inside the connector. 

US may use other colors for the two wires, probably black or red for live and white or gray for neutral.

It's not a huge deal if you reverse the neutral and live wires in the plug, it's just a tiny bit safer to put the live wire on the fuse side.

International-Color-Coding-Infographic.jpg

plug.jpg