a PC scale from 1 to 10

hudion

what do you think of a PC scale from 1 to 10.

so a 1 would be say a Xbox one and a 10 would be something like a $5000 PC

every number would show the power of the PC so things like fps in games.

if you was looking to buy a PC you can put the specs into the scale and see how good it is

there would be a over all rating for the PC and a rating for each part.

we use benchmarks to compare specs, I get what you want but this scale would get really complicated. 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

scaling system good and bad idea

the problem with a limited point system is it's hard to completely define a bottom and top range particularly in a field where new information and technology is innovated on an almost daily basis.

another flaw is that a scaling system like that is linear, so it can only rate one part of what makes a pc what it is.

properly defining a great pc is more of a multi-faceted definition, and not to mention very situational and opinionated. 

try comparing, for instance, an AMD build and an Intel build both with statistics nearly identical. what about style, future proofing, compatibly for expansion, size, and workload optimization?

and even if the statistics on paper would be the same, it can often be a toss of the coin who wins the FPS battle on a day to day basis.

You're trying to simplify something that's complicated. It would be extremely difficult to achieve.

Even if you did it, it wouldn't be impossible for it to be completely inaccurate just like any other PC "calculator".

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

10 minutes ago, hudion said:

if you was looking to buy a PC you can put the specs into the scale and see how good it is

there would be a over all rating for the PC and a rating for each part.

My i7-4790K cleans up against an 18-core Xeon clocked at 2.2GHz in gaming, but in editing or rendering tasks, that Xeon is going to eat my 4790K for lunch.

Another scenario: my 4790K would absolutely destroy an i3-4150 in Witcher 3, right? Of course...but what if that i3 were paired with a GTX 1070 and I had, for some inexplicable reason, decided to strap the HD 5450, a GPU from 2009 that would probably lose to some GPUs from 1999, onto my 4790K? The i3 would annihilate the i7.

See the problem here?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

I would rate really basic budget PCs under XBONE. So having it as 1, budget systems would be -3 to 0. My current system (check profile) is probably 5 to 6 on that scale. CPU, RAM and storage is enough but GPU is lacking some power. New GPU and it would be bumped to 7 or 8.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv