Printers....oh printers...why do you all still suck

79wjd

So, I truly hate printers. I've used all levels from enterprise grade to consumer grade and they always have been shit. For whatever reason, no company wants to make a solid and reliable printer. But that's the topic for another discussion..... Right now, I want to know why it is that documents seem to fail to print and get stuck in a print queue and why usually when that happens you can't simply delete the stuck document from the queue without restarting the printer service. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Maybe you're giving off some bad aura everything when you're near a printer, and the printer spirit don't like that so, it decides to mess with you, every time you want to print.

:P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

So, I truly hate printers. I've used all levels from enterprise grade to consumer grade and they always have been shit. For whatever reason, no company wants to make a solid and reliable printer. But that's the topic for another discussion..... Right now, I want to know why it is that documents seem to fail to print and get stuck in a print queue and why usually when that happens you can't simply delete the stuck document from the queue without restarting the printer service. 

I get this A LOT with my printer at home. It sucks so much to the point that when I don't use the printer for a long time, the printer shows up as offline and clearly the printer is on the network. Only fix I found was to forget the printer and reconfigure it with my computer/s. Screw EPSON. 

I believe the issue is with it being a Wi-Fi router connection and not a hard-wired connection. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

2 minutes ago, Fooshi said:

Toss it away and get a Brother or Samsung laser. Probably the most reliable consumer grade printers out there.

As for the problem itself, that sounds like a Windows problem. Tried wiping the drivers and reinstalling them?

I've used other printers in the past and I've experienced the same issue on them as well. It's not exclusively an issue with this printer nor is it exclusively an issue with the computer as it's an issue that I've seen/had on multiple computers running multiple OS's over the last fifteen years. I'm not really looking for a solution as I know it's because printers still suck, but I really want to know why printing a simple document causes so much trouble and why even in 2017 printers are still garbage. 

2 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Maybe you're giving off some bad aura everything when you're near a printer, and the printer spirit don't like that so, it decides to mess with you, every time you want to print.

:P

I'd agree with that, if the world as a whole didn't consider printers crap. 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I get this A LOT with my printer at home. It sucks so much to the point that when I don't use the printer for a long time, the printer shows up as offline and clearly the printer is on the network. Only fix I found was to forget the printer and reconfigure it with my computer/s. Screw EPSON. 

I believe the issue is with it being a Wi-Fi router connection and not a hard-wired connection. 

Oh god, Epson. They make worse printers than HP does laptops. I've had this same issue with ethernet, USB, and wifi based printers. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I'd agree with that, if the world as a whole didn't consider printers crap.

I've used all kinds of printers from crappy ones, thermal, color laser and one that print on cakes. Print something and it prints. Only minor issue sometimes is just dirty ink or print head, a quick clean or replacement and it's good to go.

Your constant, great "print isn't going to work" bad aura is your problem.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

I can't help with your problem. But when I decided I didn't need a home printer any more, launching my last one into the skip at the recycling centre felt so fucking good.

printer queue is not just done bad in windows, its done poorly in every OS. theres a difference between a job waiting to be sent to printer and a job queued on the printer. once its been sent to the printer you pretty much have to walk over to the printer and cancel it there

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_