SSD market just as bad and confusing as gamer laptops.

I was looking at SSDs on Newegg and frankly, it's so hard to figure out what models to go with. The customer reviews are so bad and vary between great reviews to bad reviews. Some people said that the 850 EVO didn't last a month or less. Some people said that Crucial lasted for years, other said that SK Hynix wasn't that great. Or that the level wearing wasn't great on all brands. SO WHO IS THE BEST? Are all SSDs bad?? Why is the SSD market so full of bad reviews when SSDs are hyped so much? My Dell E5450 has an SK Hynix and runs well, but seriously it makes me worry. It also doesn't seem to matter which size I get, the reviews are still either questionable. 

Can someone please tell me which of these brands are ALWAYS rate the best and have a low failure rate? I want to get a 1TB SSD for my workstation but 1. their almost 300 a piece, and 2 the reviews are worrisome and confusing.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

I've run Samsungs with zero issues for a few years now. For what its worth every product thats mass produced is a gamble. Go with the most popular one you can afford and usually if you buy from a good source its not an issue. (missing data aside)

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

4 minutes ago, Vigilante505 said:

I've run Samsungs with zero issues for a few years now. For what its worth every product thats mass produced is a gamble. Go with the most popular one you can afford and usually if you buy from a good source its not an issue. (missing data aside)

What model Samsung SSD should I take note of? 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

8 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

I was looking at SSDs on Newegg and frankly, it's so hard to figure out what models to go with. The customer reviews are so bad and vary between great reviews to bad reviews. Some people said that the 850 EVO didn't last a month or less. Some people said that Crucial lasted for years, other said that SK Hynix wasn't that great. Or that the level wearing wasn't great on all brands. SO WHO IS THE BEST? Are all SSDs bad?? Why is the SSD market so full of bad reviews when SSDs are hyped so much? My Dell E5450 has an SK Hynix and runs well, but seriously it makes me worry. It also doesn't seem to matter which size I get, the reviews are still either questionable. 

Can someone please tell me which of these brands are ALWAYS rate the best and have a low failure rate? I want to get a 1TB SSD for my workstation but 1. their almost 300 a piece, and 2 the reviews are worrisome and confusing.

You gotta remember that the 1 negative review is going to stand out far more then the 100s for positive reviews. Also they are manufacturing these things by like the hundreds of thousands, your going to have a few bad ones pop out that's just a given.  That being said I've bought 3 Samsung 840 Evo SSDs and have had one fail on me which samsung quickly replaced with an 850 Evo which has been working great ever since.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

brands that I've seen to be reliable:

- samsung

- ocz

- crucial

- sk hynix

- adata

- PNY (but mostly the cs1311)

- kingston (except the v300)

- intel

samsung 850 evo is solid, 840 evo owner here and I've seen constant good performance with it

idk

2 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

What model Samsung SSD should I take note of? 

All the samsung SSDs are great, Pretty much the more the cost as the models go up the higher the reliability.  850 Evo is the middle ground good all rounder, the 750 is the budget model still good but has a lower warranty period, the 850 Pro is the high end with something like a 8 or 10 year warranty, and then you have the 950-960 which are the NVME drives which most people wouldn't need and cost a lot more.

Case - Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 : Mobo - Asus Maximus VI Gene : PSU - Corsair AX760 : CPU - Intel i7 4790k w/ EK-Supremacy EVO Copper/Acetal Water Block  : Memory - Corsair Vengence Pro 24gb 1600mhz : GPU - Evga GTX 780 Ti Classified w/ EK-FC780 GTX Classy - Acetal+Nickel Water Block : Storage - Samsung 840 Evo 250gb & 850 Evo 1tb SSDs, 2x 6TB External HDDs : Fans - 5x Noctua NF-F12 & 1x NF-S12A : Display - 24in Benq XL2420TE : Rads - Darkside LPX360 & LP240 : Pump/Res - EK-XRES 140 D5 Vario Pump

1 minute ago, Ryoku said:

All the samsung SSDs are great, Pretty much the more the cost as the models go up the higher the reliability.  850 Evo is the middle ground good all rounder, the 750 is the budget model still good but has a lower warranty period, the 850 Pro is the high end with something like a 8 or 10 year warranty, and then you have the 950-960 which are the NVME drives which most people wouldn't need and cost a lot more.

Now I saw that the 850 Pro was for macs only, is this true? Or does this work for windows too?

Just now, Josh_Grid21 said:

Now I saw that the 850 Pro was for macs only, is this true? Or does this work for windows too?

Nope, it works perfect with all operating systems. 

idk

11 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

10 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Nope, it works perfect with all operating systems. 

^ This. Not sure where you read that they are mac only cuz that's total bullshit.

23 hours ago, Ryoku said:

^ This. Not sure where you read that they are mac only cuz that's total bullshit.

On the page for Amazon or Newegg one of them said that.

What is the overall lifespan of an SSD? I wanted to get 2 1TB 850 EVO or Pro for my workstation as I have a raid 1 setup and needed faster drive times for when my Intel RAID check kicks in.

On 2/4/2017 at 2:05 AM, Droidbot said:

brands that I've seen to be reliable:

- samsung

- ocz

- crucial

- sk hynix

- adata

- PNY (but mostly the cs1311)

- kingston (except the v300)

- intel

samsung 850 evo is solid, 840 evo owner here and I've seen constant good performance with it

The 840 EVOs performance degrades over time...

53 minutes ago, Josh_Grid21 said:

What is the overall lifespan of an SSD? I wanted to get 2 1TB 850 EVO or Pro for my workstation as I have a raid 1 setup and needed faster drive times for when my Intel RAID check kicks in.

SSDs last practically forever, unless you destroy them electrically.

5 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

So which model 1TB SSD should I be getting then?

24 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Some units don't as much, and mine still performs admirably for a three year old SSD. 

idk

1 hour ago, Droidbot said:

Some units don't as much, and mine still performs admirably for a three year old SSD. 

Is it possible that the people that got the SSDs got a bad batch of them which maybe is why they didn't last as long?