Upscaling is Confusing.

Just last night I bought this bad boy (the 60 inch version):https://www.costco.com/Samsung-65"-Class-(64.5"-Diag)-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV-UN65KU630DFXZA.product.100294277.html

I have a couple of questions about upscaling though...

So immediately after setting this guy up and plugging everything in, I noticed that the 1080p cable picture (from a reasonable distance) looked fine. 

I switched my account on Netflix to Premium so I can stream 4k things, but the shows I watch that are HD only seem to look fine too...

Is this because the TV is automatically upscaling those images? Or does HD display as normal on a 4k tv, it's just stretched across more pixels? 

Also, will this work with a normal HD Blue Ray dvd player? I want to be able to watch movies natively or upscaled in 4k, but I can't seem to be able to tell if the image is upscaled or not....

Any insight that you guys can give would be great. 

Cheers!

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

If the TV has an up scaling engine then anything that is displayed goes through processing to make it upscaled. I honestly wouldn't worry about it if you think it works fine, and to answer your question yes, any image would work, from any source.

Your link doesn't work. Anyway, how far from the TV are you sitting? It's entirely possible you're sitting far enough away that your eye couldn't distinguish between 1080p and 4K anyway.

Depending on the scaler chip in the TV, it is possible for 1080p to be displayed without interpolation on a 4K TV, because 4K is just 2x2 times the resolution of 1080p. So you can basically turn it into a 1080p TV by having each 2x2 block of pixels display the same color. But that depends on how the TV manufacturer decided to implement it.

1 minute ago, EthanCGamer said:

If the TV has an up scaling engine then anything that is displayed goes through processing to make it upscaled. I honestly wouldn't worry about it if you think it works fine, and to answer your question yes, any image would work, from any source.

So then potentially buying a 4k bluray player or whatever wouldn't be needed then?

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

3 minutes ago, JR8 said:

Just last night I bought this bad boy (the 60 inch version):https://www.costco.com/Samsung-65"-Class-(64.5"-Diag)-4K-Ultra-HD-LED-LCD-TV-UN65KU630DFXZA.product.100294277.html

I have a couple of questions about upscaling though...

So immediately after setting this guy up and plugging everything in, I noticed that the 1080p cable picture (from a reasonable distance) looked fine. 

I switched my account on Netflix to Premium so I can stream 4k things, but the shows I watch that are HD only seem to look fine too...

Is this because the TV is automatically upscaling those images? Or does HD display as normal on a 4k tv, it's just stretched across more pixels? 

Also, will this work with a normal HD Blue Ray dvd player? I want to be able to watch movies natively or upscaled in 4k, but I can't seem to be able to tell if the image is upscaled or not....

Any insight that you guys can give would be great. 

Cheers!

netflix 4k only uses 15-25mbps of bandwidth which is only close to 1080p blu ray quality you wont notice this looking much better if at all then watching a blu ray most likely a little worse.  4k Streaming is more gimicky then how they sell it. It looks good because its higher quaility but not near actual 4k 

the TV takes the cable signal and upscale it But not all up scaling is created equal. 1080p typically looks decent upscaled or streached since its exactly 4x the size But it typically wont make a differnce that jumps out or is noticible at all to most. i notice just a less pixelated screen upclose and thats about it personally. 

1080p Blu rays will be the same a barley difference 

59 minutes ago, JR8 said:

So then potentially buying a 4k bluray player or whatever wouldn't be needed then?

In my opinion, no. Most movies are mastered for 1080p bluray, and 4k blurays are so new and expensive that it's not worth it. Wait a few years when they get cheap to buy it, let someone else pay the early adopter tax.