CPU delid tool worth buying? (Rockit 88)

Owlman
28 minutes ago, Owlman said:

There's nothing wrong with drifting if you can control force and reaction.  it's the cpu die that is fragile, and any surface mounted components, here's a photo of an athlon I haven't thrown out for some reason. side note not a bad macro shot from my shitty galaxy s5 at night.

20170203_234101.jpg

If you want to de-lid go ahead, it'll either 1. work well , 2. work ok 3. break something. So at the end of it if you're prepared to replace the cpu in the worse case, go for it.

As for that tool, it looks like it would do the job fine, I wouldn't buy it since I could make it in probably 30-40minutes ($30 isn't a bad price). Personally I'd cut it off using the bed on my milling machine and a cross slide, but it's not like everyone can do that.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

3 minutes ago, porina said:

thanks, i'll watch some reviews when I get home :)

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW

3 hours ago, Firecheetah13 said:

Delidding is never a good option. Unless you absolutely require lower temps, its not worth the extra 3-5C you would get back for $40+ (Removal tool, thermal adhesive, shipping costs). You could sell your CPU and buy a whole new one for that! Or just get a better CPU cooler if you're lame... ;)

You are way off.  Try it before reporting what you read or see on the internet.  Blanket statements like this do nothing, but spread misinformation.  

It's a hell of a lot more than 3c to 5c especially on chips with gapping and poor TIM spreading from the factory.

As for current CPUs, it's very effective.  I've delidded 4 x 7700k CPUs to date and every one of them dropped more than 20c.

7 hours ago, done12many2 said:

You are way off.  Try it before reporting what you read or see on the internet.  Blanket statements like this do nothing, but spread misinformation.  

It's a hell of a lot more than 3c to 5c especially on chips with gapping and poor TIM spreading from the factory.

As for current CPUs, it's very effective.  I've delidded 4 x 7700k CPUs to date and every one of them dropped more than 20c.

Even if it was an exaggeration, it's not worth the risk. Permanently damaging the CPU or killing it completely is a possibility, therefore it would be so much easier to just sell your current CPU cooler and buy a new one for improved temps with basically no chance of damaging your CPU. You will get significant improvement, and even if it is a few degrees off of delidding it, the benefits will outweigh the cons.

18 minutes ago, Firecheetah13 said:

Even if it was an exaggeration, it's not worth the risk. Permanently damaging the CPU or killing it completely is a possibility, therefore it would be so much easier to just sell your current CPU cooler and buy a new one for improved temps with basically no chance of damaging your CPU. You will get significant improvement, and even if it is a few degrees off of delidding it, the benefits will outweigh the cons.

I agree with upgrading cooling capacity.  There is a limitation on what a better cooling solution can do.  The biggest water loop in the world can only maintain water to ambient temperature and you will still require a delid in order to push higher overclocks.  

The value of high clock speeds is obviously subjective.  All I wanted to do was point out that your original post was completely inaccurate with regards to temperature gain.  

46 minutes ago, Firecheetah13 said:

There is almost 0 risk with a tool. Unless you take the cpu out the tool and jump up and down on it and smash the die I don't even see how you can do any damage.  I think you would have to try tbh. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

13 hours ago, Firecheetah13 said:

Delidding is never a good option. Unless you absolutely require lower temps, its not worth the extra 3-5C you would get back for $40+ (Removal tool, thermal adhesive, shipping costs). You could sell your CPU and buy a whole new one for that! Or just get a better CPU cooler if you're lame... ;)

In my case deliding would bring me much better results.

I own i7 4790k that gets up to 80°C at stock settings on custom water loop. I should be able to OC this CPU to about 4,7 or 4,8GHz and have temps under 75°C at all times if I were to delid it.

So deliding is worth sometimes.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 hours ago, Jumper118 said:

There is almost 0 risk with a tool. Unless you take the cpu out the tool and jump up and down on it and smash the die I don't even see how you can do any damage.  I think you would have to try tbh. 

Folks will always fear and speculate about shit they've never done.  Remember when water cooling was feared?  I could only imagine the first time someone increased their voltage. 

12 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

I'm a bloody hack and I cringed at that vid. Bloke could of at the very least used a set of softjaws, and who the fuck doesn't own a vice? By all means hold it in a vice and cut the ihs off with a razor blade, but drift the fucking thing off?

I'm pretty sure most people don't own a vice lol. It's not something most people need. 

It's a very common method of delidding. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

We all have different ideas of risk and value. It is one thing for someone to say it isn't worth the risk to themselves, but we only get into arguments when that gets expressed as no one should ever do it. Anyone entering into it should know the potential risks to get the potential benefits, which will go far beyond a cooler replacement can provide. It is by no means needed for the mainstream, but may be considered by those seeking to extract more of the potential performance.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

On 2/3/2017 at 10:24 AM, Firecheetah13 said:

You yield a lot more of a temp decrease than 3-5c, i have seen results as high as 18-20c.

Rig: 5950X | ROG VIII Formula | 6900XT
Laptop: 5900HX | 6800M | 16GB

On 2/3/2017 at 11:24 AM, Firecheetah13 said:

I actually got 20C lower temps once i delided my 3770k.

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

2 hours ago, Coaxialgamer said:

I actually got 20C lower temps once i delided my 3770k.

A lot of people think Linus proved it was pointless because he totally failed at delidding. All he did was replace the TIM and called it delidding. 

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

8 hours ago, JoostinOnline said:

A lot of people think Linus proved it was pointless because he totally failed at delidding. All he did was replace the TIM and called it delidding. 

I've decided to buy a tool (don't know which I'm getting yet), and I'll delid my 6700K and my friends 6600K as it gets really hot. But unfortunately I'll have to put this project on hold as I think the fan on my graphics card has a broken ball bearing, I've sent an email to Asus regarding my problem and I'm waiting for them to respond. Do you have any experience with Asus support? 

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

1 minute ago, Owlman said:

I've decided to buy a tool (don't know which I'm getting yet), and I'll delid my 6700K and my friends 6600K as it gets really hot. But unfortunately I'll have to put this project on hold as I think the fan on my graphics card has a broken ball bearing, I've sent an email to Asus regarding my problem and I'm waiting for them to respond. Do you have any experience with Asus support? 

Sorry, just EVGA and MSI.  They were pretty quick to respond, which I would take as a good sign since major competitors don't want to have a big flaw to their name.

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Sorry, just EVGA and MSI.  They were pretty quick to respond, which I would take as a good sign since major competitors don't want to have a big flaw to their name.

Thanks anyway. Guess I'll just have to wait and see how this goes.

Desktop Rig:

On 6.2.2017 at 7:53 AM, JoostinOnline said:

Just as an update. I'll most likely be getting the delid-die-mate-2. I've been in contact with a Norwegian store and they said they will have it in stock as soon as it's available.

Desktop Rig:

I don't have experience on those, but I really don't recommend to try with primitive tools.

IMG_0707.JPG

20 minutes ago, Jalmio said:

I don't have experience on those, but I really don't recommend to try with primitive tools.

IMG_0707.JPG

:o *cringes through the 12th realm of Ephysiyies*  

Desktop Rig: