NAS Solution for backups

XenosTech

What NAS from dell would you recommend for storing backups ? It has to come with a minimum of 16 TB with the option to add in more drives later on.

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

Dell doesn't make consumer nas. 

I'd get something like a symbology or qnap 4 5 or 8 Bay depending on how much you want to upgrade. 

1 hour ago, XenosTech said:

What NAS from dell would you recommend for storing backups ? It has to come with a minimum of 16 TB with the option to add in more drives later on.

Why especially from Dell?
What are you using the NAS for? Backups for how many Systems? How much are you willing/able to spend?

As others already said: QNAP and Synology have some good consumer options.

UI/UX Designer
CPU:
Intel i5 6600k @ 4.4GHz, Noctua NH D-15, GPU: MSI GTX 970, RAM: HyperX Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4, MoBo: AsRock Z170 extreme4 ATX, Storage: 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 128GB Toshiba M.2 SSD + 1TB WD Blue, PSU: Antec 650W, Fractal Design Define S

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Dell doesn't make consumer nas. 

I'd get something like a symbology or qnap 4 5 or 8 Bay depending on how much you want to upgrade. 

I don't want it for consumer, why else would I be buying from dell

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

1 hour ago, SiriousArts said:

Why especially from Dell?
What are you using the NAS for? Backups for how many Systems? How much are you willing/able to spend?

As others already said: QNAP and Synology have some good consumer options.

Support basically and price isn't much of a concern.... About 12 vm that are about 2 tb in size all combined

12 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I don't want it for consumer, why else would I be buying from dell

What network are you running? Do you need ad? Iscsi? Fiber channel? What speed?

Dell doesn't really do nas. They mainly do san that would be way out of your budget. I'd look into synology or qnap. Why dell anyways?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What network are you running? Do you need ad? Iscsi? Fiber channel? What speed?

Dell doesn't really do nas. They mainly do san that would be way out of your budget. I'd look into synology or qnap. Why dell anyways?

Like I said... price is not really a problem... I just need suggestions on dell models because that's what the person wants, cant remember how their network is setup internally right now

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Like I said... price is not really a problem... I just need suggestions on dell models because that's what the person wants, cant remember how their network is setup internally right now

Well dell is pretty bad for a nas. You either spending a lot on a san or getting g something like a r730xd and running something like freenas or windoes server. 

Shopping for an enterprise NAS isn't really something you do on a forum... talk to your Dell rep or storage vendor.

You would probably want something like a FS8600 controller with an SC array shelf. It's a unified storage solution which is the current trend.

1 minute ago, techmattr said:

Shopping for an enterprise NAS isn't really something you do on a forum... talk to your Dell rep or storage vendor.

You would probably want something like a FS8600 controller with an SC array shelf. It's a unified storage solution which is the current trend.

Hate talking to dell reps... on hold forever and half of the time they don't understand anything I'm saying :/

4 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

Hate talking to dell reps... on hold forever and half of the time they don't understand anything I'm saying :/

Well, typically you would setup a vendor servicing contract and have a dedicated sales rep who knows the products inside and out. Or you can talk to someone like Forsythe or another Dell Partner vendor to purchase indirect.

Well, typically you would setup a vendor servicing contract and have a dedicated sales rep who knows the products inside and out.

We have one I think... english is not his first language which means phone calls are always painful and emails take a while, only call if we really really have to. 

That's who you would make all of your purchases through. Last I recall they don't allow you to request a new rep under normal circumstances though. But you can't even purchase their enterprise equipment online or anything. You'd need to contact a vendor to setup a purchase order.

That's who you would make all of your purchases through. Last I recall they don't allow you to request a new rep under normal circumstances though. But you can't even purchase their enterprise equipment online or anything. You'd need to contact a vendor to setup a purchase order.

Not really we could make the purchase through a 3rd party. That's how we get equipment when we needed it since yesterday.

Yeah there are direct Dell Partner Vendors and indirect sales resellers. A vendor would be integrated with your servicing contract and a reseller would just be selling you the product. But no one here can tell you what to buy. There aren't really options. It depends on what type of device you need or can afford.

2 minutes ago, techmattr said:

Yeah there are direct Dell Partner Vendors and indirect sales resellers. A vendor would be integrated with your servicing contract and a reseller would just be selling you the product. But no one here can tell you what to buy. There aren't really options. It depends on what type of device you need or can afford.

Price really isn't a problem... A business just needs more storage for their backups since their current solution isn't really gonna cut it when we upgrade their servers and they wanted dell for everything so I'm just asking for recommendations.

Well, the NX line is more of their entry level so if you're just using it for backups a NX430 or NX3230 is probably all you need. 

23 minutes ago, techmattr said:

Well, the NX line is more of their entry level so if you're just using it for backups a NX430 or NX3230 is probably all you need. 

Thanks... this looks like it would fish their new setup

If you want to do anything more than a basic backup target and simple SMB shares then the decision gets much more complicated. But the NX series is pretty basic and comes pretty much ready to go. It even looks like at this level you can buy them from the site.

3 minutes ago, techmattr said:

If you want to do anything more than a basic backup target and simple SMB shares then the decision gets much more complicated. But the NX series is pretty basic and comes pretty much ready to go. It even looks like at this level you can buy them from the site.

It's just to store disk backups since all tapes get taken off site...So if shit hits the fan we have one on site so we don't have to worry about getting the people to take the tape outta storage and bring it back

If you want enterprise NAS go with Netapp, it's what they do best and they all compete at the same price points. I'll have a look at the dell site but as metioned above by someone this isn't something they are known for.

13 hours ago, leadeater said:

If you want enterprise NAS go with Netapp, it's what they do best and they all compete at the same price points. I'll have a look at the dell site but as metioned above by someone this isn't something they are known for.

Contacted Netapp also but it's not an enterprise more of a medium business that generates a lot of data that needs to be backed up

5 hours ago, XenosTech said:

Contacted Netapp also but it's not an enterprise more of a medium business that generates a lot of data that needs to be backed up

They shouldn't be too expensive, but that depends on a lot of things. You'll have vendors such as EMC, Netapp, HPE, Hitachi, IBM, Oracle and Dell all competing with each other who have a wide range of solutions. The outlier here is Dell who doesn't have the very top end offerings as the others but has become very popular and is quite relevant for your comparison.

Below these you have Nimble Storage, Pure Storage, Tintri etc. There's more but having a mind blank and anyway too many. Some of these are cheaper as they focus on block storage only/virtualization so won't have any direct NAS features, you'd need a server/VM in front to do it. 

Then below this you have QNAP, Synology etc. QNAP does have some rather high-end offerings now days though.

Lastly there's build your own, FreeNAS, Ceph, Gluster, Storage Spaces etc.

I would have a look at a Netapp 2620, HPE 3PAR and Dell FS7610. This is your higher end and can be price competitive however this tends to be only when you start putting a lot of storage behind these controllers else the $/GB is high. 16TB starting point is likely going to be too low, Dell and HPE 3PAR might be able to do it. HPE does have lower end offerings like StoreEasy but I'd use QNAP over that, there's also HPE StoreOnce which is an actual backup appliance but I'm not sure what software you need to use it.

For 16TB a QNAP TS-EC1280U-E3-4GE-R2 is a good option to look at, this can also scale to very large capacities.

The bigger question is how is this storage going to be used? What is the data source being backed up? What backup software? If it's something like Veeam 9.5 a straight Dell server with DAS disk and ReFS will do a very good job and likely at the lowest price point.