Should i install a custom rom?

So I've been using my Samsung galaxy s4 for around a year now (a hand me down) and i absolutely hate it in it's current state. Because i unlocked it from AT&T to T Mobile i cannot update meaning the last version of android my uncle was running (Android 4.4.4) is all i get (And it's unstable, anytime i try to close an application or use Facebook for longer than 30 minutes it just crashes) so i'd like a custom ROM for improvements. From what I've seen on YouTube installing something like Lineage OS or Tesla ROM is easy and somewhat safe. Is there any specific way i should do this? or should i hold back and keep using my S4 running android 4.4.4? I don't have a replacement so if this bricks the device that's it.

(I've made a post related to this regarding a found galaxy s7 three days ago, That device has since than been returned to my friend who found it. what he's done from there is not my concern. this however, is regarding a completely different device)

6 minutes ago, iannorton24 said:

So I've been using my Samsung galaxy s4 for around a year now (a hand me down) and i absolutely hate it in it's current state. Because i unlocked it from AT&T to T Mobile i cannot update meaning the last version of android my uncle was running (Android 4.4.4) is all i get (And it's unstable, anytime i try to close an application or use Facebook for longer than 30 minutes it just crashes) so i'd like a custom ROM for improvements. From what I've seen on YouTube installing something like Lineage OS or Tesla ROM is easy and somewhat safe. Is there any specific way i should do this? or should i hold back and keep using my S4 running android 4.4.4? I don't have a replacement so if this bricks the device that's it.

You can install TWRP recovery and your device and do a complete backup of the entire system. That way, if you do screw up, you can go back into recovery and restore the original TouchWiz 4.4.4 in the exact state you've recovered from. Go on XDA, they have a lot of choices to choose from. That's where I get the roms for my S3. I'm still running 4.4.4 even though a stable 7.0 rom is probably out already.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

30 minutes ago, iannorton24 said:

(I've made a post related to this regarding a found galaxy s7 three days ago, That device has since than been returned to my friend who found it. what he's done from there is not my concern. this however, is regarding a completely different device)

You should still be able to flash update from Odin. Get the new AT&T image, and use Odin to flash the update. I say stick with AT&T because that was it's base firmware, but Odin should do it for you.

23 hours ago, Ryujin2003 said:

You should still be able to flash update from Odin. Get the new AT&T image, and use Odin to flash the update. I say stick with AT&T because that was it's base firmware, but Odin should do it for you.

Odin from the google play store? is it worth $5? and what is the best root application? (I used to use kingo root (Windows) but now it's full of spam and king root is the reason im having these crashes in the first place >:()

1 hour ago, iannorton24 said:

Odin from the google play store? is it worth $5? and what is the best root application? (I used to use kingo root (Windows) but now it's full of spam and king root is the reason im having these crashes in the first place >:()

No, not on Google Play, you need it on a PC.

Here is a legit link https://androidmtk.com/download-odin-downloader-versions

Then you need to find the new version to flash.

Here's another guide. http://www.android.gs/update-att-galaxy-s4-android-5-0-1-ucugoc3-lollipop-os/

My battery is gonna die, so I won't be able to finish this

I wouldn't recommend Google Play Store. it needs to be done with a PC. I didn't even know they had it on Google Play... That's scary.