Any experiences with eGPU?

EthanCGamer

So I just ordered this off of Banggood for my Dell Precision m4800, and I'll be putting a GTX 770 (or 790, I can't remember what my friend has) in it. I already have a PSU (really cheap one from my university surplus), so I think I've got everything I need. Am I doing this right, or am I forgetting anything? Also, what kind of boost should I expect? My current GPU is the one in my laptop, the K2100M, so will the expresscard link be too much of a bottleneck?

Ask over at egpu.io's forums, they're super helpful with EC eGPU. I think you may have to disable the dGPU to allow more memory space or install Clover to do a memory override, but it should work. 

idk

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Ask over at egpu.io's forums, they're super helpful with EC eGPU. I think you may have to disable the dGPU to allow more memory space or install Clover to do a memory override, but it should work. 

Thanks! I think my BIOS even has the option to disable the dedicated graphics (or switch to the Intel ), so I shouldn't need to mess with clover. Surprisingly Dell's BIOS is pretty robust, I guess for an enterprise laptop it has to be.

1 minute ago, EthanCGamer said:

Thanks! I think my BIOS even has the option to disable the dedicated graphics (or switch to the Intel ), so I shouldn't need to mess with clover. Surprisingly Dell's BIOS is pretty robust, I guess for an enterprise laptop it has to be.

Be careful though, the GDC Beast is not a very stable eGPU adapter and can glitch and crash, but it's a good price for it compared to PE4L v2 (currently $160!!)

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Be careful though, the GDC Beast is not a very stable eGPU adapter and can glitch and crash, but it's a good price for it compared to PE4L v2 (currently $160!!)

Yeah I knew I was risking it with anything from banggood, and $160 is way out of my price range! I'll try to post results when I get it in.

I used this on a Dell laptop I had a while ago with a 650Ti. It worked decent and I didn't get any crashes but you probably only get 50-60% of the card when using this. As it turns out, ExpressCard doesn't offer a whole ton of bandwidth.

Desktop: i9 11900k, 32GB DDR4, 4060 Ti 8GB 🙂

2 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

I used this on a Dell laptop I had a while ago with a 650Ti. It worked decent and I didn't get any crashes but you probably only get 50-60% of the card when using this. As it turns out, ExpressCard doesn't offer a whole ton of bandwidth.

Newer nvidia drivers can use compression for around 80% of bandwidth now, its pretty good.

idk

4 minutes ago, Theguywhobea said:

Hmm at this point is it even worth it? The GPU I already have is roughly equivalent to a GTX 660, and I don't think that half of a GTX 770 is any better if not worse. Then again, it's only 50 bucks, and if it doesn't work so well I can just give it to my little brother running an NVS gpu from 2011.

Edit: If Droidbot is right then I sure am excited! Maybe I can borrow my friend's 980 to test with!

3 minutes ago, EthanCGamer said:

Hmm at this point is it even worth it? The GPU I already have is roughly equivalent to a GTX 660, and I don't think that half of a GTX 770 is any better if not worse. Then again, it's only 50 bucks, and if it doesn't work so well I can just give it to my little brother running an NVS gpu from 2011.

Check your BIOS for a setting that changes the EC generation. Gen1 does 3.5, Gen2 does 5. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

Check your BIOS for a setting that changes the EC generation. Gen1 does 3.5, Gen2 does 5. 

3.5 or 5 what? Do you mean the size of the EC slot, because if so I have the big one.

3 minutes ago, EthanCGamer said:

3.5 or 5 what? Do you mean the size of the EC slot, because if so I have the big one.

Gbps. Sorry, on my Surface and the touch keyboard sucks 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Gbps. Sorry, on my Surface and the touch keyboard sucks 

Ah I see. I'll have to boot into my BIOS and see. Hopefully I have gen 2