Need Wifi extending help

TerTer

Hello, 

I need you help, determining how to make this work.

Issue is this. I have network in my main room (had asked here for help and after answers went with cable, no wifi). Here i set up my Router  TP-Link AC750 Archer C2. All good and so. But now i have issue with WiFi on my other end in house.

I was looking at WiFi WA850E Range extender, but started to think, that i don't have good place to put in in the middle, between the 2 rooms furthers apart. What i have, i have network cable in the room i want WiFi (now not stable, like 5-10Mb/s) But don't want to set up another WiFi there, that is different, then i need to reconnect there worst case. Also if i set up router, i get diff IP cant use my Printer that connected to main Network through Lan.

So what would be best solution here? Sorry to sound noob here, but i though easiest to ask here and maybe someone will point me to correct solution and then will read about it more.

I now theres Access Point, but as i understand that's when you take WiFi and connect device with cable. Not vice versa.

Thanks for answers.

use a power over ethernet with wifi adaptor. just plugs into your wall socket with an eithernet attached and then another else where in the house. it will add an extra ethernet port and wifi

Gaming PC: • AMD Ryzen 7 3900x • 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200mhz • Founders Edition 2080ti • 2x Crucial 1tb nvme ssd • NZXT H1• Logitech G915TKL • Logitech G Pro • Asus ROG XG32VQ • SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless

Laptop: MacBook Pro M1 512gb

I have Ethernet cable in that room were wifi is unstable. I want to set up a wifi, but one that i dont need to reconnect manually. Something like repeater, extender. Like same SSID and device chooses best wifi near it.

You have multiple options:

1 - use a repeater (= extender) - like WiFi WA850E Range extender

The repeater connects to the Archer C2 (and the internet) via your existing wifi. It will also create a new wifi. But you are able to set manually the same SSID and password on your Router's and Repeater's wifi. Wireless devices (Smartphones, PCs,..) will recognize both wifis as one. The Device decides which actual wifi to use on its own.

22 hours ago, TerTer said:

Like same SSID and device chooses best wifi near it.

This works surprisingly good. But there is a chance that the device will connect sometimes to the wrong wifi.

2 - use a access point

The same as option 1. Only one difference: The access point will connect to your Router via Ethernet. So it will be faster and more reliable. I recommend to use this option.

He uses the access point functionality of a router. So he has to disable some router functions. This is not needed if you use a plain access point.

3 - use pro stuff like Ubiquity unifi

very expensive - very reliable. 

Similar to option 2. But You would need to buy 2 specific access points. One would replace your routers wifi and the other one would be your new ("second") wifi. Such Systems manage all client devices on their own. That means that every client device would use always the best of both wifis.

4 - mesh

pretty new. I haven't really looked into it. 

That is a worst suffering problem ...but don't have to buy repeater or range extenders....this makes some strange problem in home network... You can buy any router (TP link may be easy to setup) then enter the new router ( 192.168.0.1 is the default IP) then turn the dhcp off....set WiFi name (ssid) WiFi security can be same or different from your main router.....and its configuration is complete..it will work like a simple radio with ssid .. Plug a ethernet cables into the new router's kan port ( remember kan port in the new router....not wan) then plug the cable to the main router's kan port or router's kan port......and then you will get the IP for from your main router ......new router will not do anything to IPs .....and every device will directly to the main router ......hope this will work perfectly.. No mesh or ap controller needed...

17 minutes ago, Zarrah Ibnul said:

No mesh or ap controller needed...

Agree :) I just wanted to give an overview of all existing principles.

Zarrah Ibnul's method/ "option 2 - use a access point" is right way.

1 hour ago, chris3196 said:

3 - use pro stuff like Ubiquity unifi

very expensive - very reliable. 

Similar to option 2. But You would need to buy 2 specific access points. One would replace your routers wifi and the other one would be your new ("second") wifi. Such Systems manage all client devices on their own. That means that every client device would use always the best of both wifis.

Not true. You just need a single Access Point (starting at $80, not expensive compared to what people spend on crappy routers), plug it into your existing router and you're all set. Ubiquiti UniFi always gets my vote, I couldn't be more impressed with it and I've bought 4 of them so far. :D

-KuJoe

1 minute ago, KuJoe said:

Not true. You just need a single Access Point (starting at $80, not expensive compared to what people spend on crappy routers), plug it into your existing router and you're all set.

Zero-Handoff is only usable with a complete ubiquity setup o.O (This would be more expensive). Yes, it is possible to use a single ubiquity access point. But then it will function just as any other access point as described in option 2 ( ubiquity access points will usually provide a better signal than random consumer grade access points)

13 minutes ago, KuJoe said:

Ubiquiti UniFi always gets my vote, I couldn't be more impressed with it and I've bought 4 of them so far. :D

Again: Agree ^_^ But I thought that he needs the additional access point only for one room. So a cheap router/access point would do the job.