Different Metals For Heat Sinking

KeenWolf

So, a thought just popped into my head..

Has LTT thought of comparing multiple metals for thermal transfer such as copper, aluminum, silver, or steel? I think it would make a great video if you could manage to get 1:1 makes for a basic heatsink for each type of metal; using the same fan on each test of course. Clearly, mostly every knows copper is the go to metal. But, technically silver should be better, but by how much and is it worth it for enthusiasts? But, what if we could go a step further, and do this with custom waterblocks? Yeah, this would be a big project. But, would be very interesting. I think using gold for this would create a video on it's own. Thanks!

we can look up the thermal properties of metals anywhere, they are widely known. we don't need the physical metals to measure the price and effectiveness.

5 minutes ago, KeenWolf said:

So, a thought just popped into my head..

Has LTT thought of comparing multiple metals for thermal transfer such as copper, aluminum, silver, or steel? I think it would make a great video if you could manage to get 1:1 makes for a basic heatsink for each type of metal; using the same fan on each test of course. Clearly, mostly every knows copper is the go to metal. But, technically silver should be better, but by how much and is it worth it for enthusiasts? But, what if we could go a step further, and do this with custom waterblocks? Yeah, this would be a big project. But, would be very interesting. I think using gold for this would create a video on it's own. Thanks!

It would be an amusing video :) I dont think it will matter much as design plays a bigger factor in coolers and people wont be able to replicate the benefits of using metals with higher conductivity.

But it will be an amusing video. Just needs a big ass disclaimer to avoid misinformed people :)

5 minutes ago, tlink said:

we can look up the thermal properties of metals anywhere, they are widely known. we don't need the physical metals to measure the price and effectiveness.

True, but LTT has done many videos that start off the introduction with knowing what the expected outcome should be based off of properties of said products. It is just a lot of fun and is interesting to see it actually done. 

2 minutes ago, rafazafar said:

It would be an amusing video :) I dont think it will matter much as design plays a bigger factor in coolers and people wont be able to replicate the benefits of using metals with higher conductivity.

But it will be an amusing video. Just needs a big ass disclaimer to avoid misinformed people :)

Exactly! And, if they are able to rent a milling machine or partner with a manufacturer for a sponsored video to make the same cooler with different materials for demonstration, we could get expert input on actually producing products of different metals, for instance, certain metals being more fragile or malleable affecting the process as well. I'm sure this would be difficult, but it wouldn't hurt to ask :P

9 minutes ago, KeenWolf said:

True, but LTT has done many videos that start off the introduction with knowing what the expected outcome should be based off of properties of said products. It is just a lot of fun and is interesting to see it actually done. 

Exactly! And, if they are able to rent a milling machine or partner with a manufacturer for a sponsored video to make the same cooler with different materials for demonstration, we could get expert input on actually producing products of different metals, for instance, certain metals being more fragile or malleable affecting the process as well. I'm sure this would be difficult, but it wouldn't hurt to ask :P

Yeah, that would be awesome! Some insider info haha.
Oh i would love to see how normal plate vs heat pipe vs vapour chamber works out too! :)

sidenote: the new Thermaltake engine 27 has huge cooling potential, the start voltage on that thing was so bad and high. had to send back due to noise.