Start programming

Hello, i am wondering about starting to learn coding, but i dont know were to start, wich type of lang i should go for. any tips out there?

I think its best to answer your question with more questions. what devices are you interested in? are you into electronics or just apps? what branch of computer science and maths interests you?

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I have some arduinos i want to learn how to code myself, but same i think it would be cool to make my own website. or just design it. 

If you want to make your own website then HTML and CSS are what you'll want. If you want to code your own scripts then Python is a popular option these days although it entirely depends on a lot of factors.

-KuJoe

11 minutes ago, Norwegianuser said:

wich type of lang i should go for.

I generally recommend to start with a language which fits both desktop and web applications, especially since you wrote you'd want to do both. Generally speaking, RosettaCode.org gives you a good first feeling for quite a lot of languages.

After having helped some people to start digging into code, I'd suggest you to have a peek at one of these languages first:

• Perl:
    Could be used for desktop applications, but really excels at your shell and the web.

• Common Lisp:
    Working with Lisp requires a different mindset than working with C-like languages, but I guess you wouldn't regret having tried it at least once. Can handle the shell, the web and the desktop equally well.

• C++:
    I know that C++ can do annoyingly much right out of the box, but - if you're not too focused on easy web development - it is a pleasing experience to beginners. The current C++17 standard comes with all relevant libraries to get you started with shell and/or desktop development easily.

• One word about Python:
    Seriously, you don't want that. You probably will have running shell, desktop and/or web code quickly because Python was designed to be a learning language (like Pascal and BASIC were), but it has its drawbacks: It uses whitespace as syntax, its interpreter is horribly slow and its community is split into Python2ers and Python3ers - including its library ecosystem, of course.

Before you decide to make the answer to your question depend on the dedication to web development, remember that your web browser is only able to parse HTML, CSS and Javascript. (And - just in case - you really don't want to work with Javascript. It does neither.)

HTH.

Write in C.

I really have to recommend this course https://www.edx.org/course/introduction-computer-science-harvardx-cs50x

It is 'Computer science' course from Harvard, the CS50. You can do the course online, CS50x. It is like a welcome to beginners. You get eleven lectures, each separated on different area, each with its own problem set. Course itself is focused on basic understanding of programming. All lectures are available on YouTube, but you have to do the problem sets, as they are very important.

On 1/31/2017 at 4:42 AM, Dat Guy said:

Perl:

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn’t stop to think if they should.