Razer acquires Nextbit

GeekPower0

Razer just announced that they have acquired Nextbit, creators of the Robin smartphone.

Nextbit has stopped selling the Robin and accessories via it's official channels, and will continue to fulfill warranties for 6 more months. They will also continue to provide software updates and security patches through February 2018.

Nextbit announcement: https://community.nextbit.com/t5/Announcements/We-ve-got-some-pretty-exciting-news-to-share-Rebels/m-p/37870#M33

I’m thrilled to announce that we’re joining the Razer family! They’re rebels like us, they speak from the heart, and they share our need to push boundaries. Nextbit will operate as an independent division inside Razer, focused on unique mobile design and experiences. To put it simply, we’ll be doing exactly what we’ve been doing all along, only bigger and better.

If you’re curious what this means for Robin, don’t worry. While we have stopped selling Robin and all accessories through our official channels, we are still dedicated to supporting all of you. We will continue to fulfill warranties for 6 more months. And as promised, we will continue to provide software updates and security patches through February 2018.  

More than anything we want to preserve the community we’ve built on our forums and our social streams, we’re really proud of what we’ve accomplished together. 

I want to thank all of you for your support. We would not be the company we are today without our backers, our supporters and our community -- our band of Rebels. We love you guys.

Sincerely,

Tom Moss

So, does that mean a Razer phone is coming?

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2018 year of the rgb phone... and it's not the display

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

:o

This has a lot of promise onto it.... but we all know the Nextbit Robin was not a popular device and it makes you think why?

Plastic... plastic... plastic.... nope, cant think of anything. Unless Razer makes theyr next phones aluminium slabs in the very least, its not gonna be a true blast....

Groomlake Authority

9 minutes ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

:o

This has a lot of promise onto it.... but we all know the Nextbit Robin was not a popular device and it makes you think why?

Plastic... plastic... plastic.... nope, cant think of anything. Unless Razer makes theyr next phones aluminium slabs in the very least, its not gonna be a true blast....

They're probably buying them for any patents among other things, as usual. And I think if Razer is going to have their name on a phone, it'll be made of aluminum.

Also, not that anyone else won't see this coming, but the phone will be under the Blade moniker most likely and will feature some kind of mobile gaming features. I hope that it'll be a real product replacement for the Switchblade concept.

@Geek95 this might be interesting to add to the OP. They've been in talks about making a phone for a while.

2 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

Well when they have to use the chassis as an antenna...

why i prefer plastic phones over all aluminium, can't fucking stand the visible antennae bands 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Ok first of all, Razer has proven that they can give a decent fight in every tech area they are getting themshelves in, Laptops prove it, the blade stealth proves it.

Think of it, they will propably create something on the level of the current iphone and if it isn't upsurdly expensive it would be great.

And the best of all, they can have an A.I with a sexy name, like Valerie or Christine.

5 minutes ago, potoooooooo said:

Can you imagine a phone with RGB accent lighting?

I can but why though?  It's as useful as a RGB toilet seat.

2 minutes ago, JamieOlive said:

Ok first of all, Razer has proven that they can give a decent fight in every tech area they are getting themshelves in, Laptops prove it, the blade stealth proves it.

Think of it, they will propably create something on the level of the current iphone and if it isn't upsurdly expensive it would be great.

And the best of all, they can have an A.I with a sexy name, like Valerie or Christine.

>razer

>not absurdly expensive

you can't have both fam

3 minutes ago, lilbman said:

or rgb mouse mats

3 minutes ago, lilbman said:

I think that exists.  Or at least, an under seat light for the inner bowl

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, JamieOlive said:

If they're going to break into the phone market under the Razer name with a better built phone, it's going to cost a lot just like the Blade did when it first launched - still is for the specs you're getting and with Razer's questionable quality.

I also seriously doubt they're going to have their own AI/voice assistant. If anything it'll have the Google Assistant like Nvidia has on the Shield.

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

If they're going to break into the phone market under the Razer name with a better built phone, it's going to cost a lot just like the Blade did when it first launched - still is for the specs you're getting and with Razer's questionable quality.

I also seriously doubt they're going to have their own AI/voice assistant. If anything it'll have the Google Assistant like Nvidia has on the Shield

It doesn't mean they will make phones like the Robin, it just means they are getting the software and hardware expertise of a phone manufactirers with some years under their belts, and not having to pay a fortune in the proccess.

Maybe the first generation won't but i bet Razer will not steak with Ok Google.

1 minute ago, JamieOlive said:

It doesn't mean they will make phones like the Robin, it just means they are getting the software and hardware expertise of a phone manufactirers with some years under their belts, and not having to pay a fortune in the proccess.

Maybe the first generation won't but i bet Razer will not steak with Ok Google.

I said if the phone is going to be better built than the Robin then it's going to cost a lot. I also know why and what they bought them for, as I mentioned in another post.

I'm also not saying they will have Google Assistant (not OK Google), but if they're going to have a voice assistant it may not be their own.

9 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I can just imagine a staff meeting for Delta

"how do we improve our products so that people will use them?"

"Good question"

"F*ck it let's put RGB lights on it"

-sales go up 200%-

I can't really make fun of people who like RGB lighting, seeing as I use an Alienware laptop on a daily basis.

Just food for thought, what if the Razer Core worked with a Razer phone, assuming they make one?

Just imagine talking to an iOS user about that

"My phone is faster than any Android out there"

"B*tch please, I have a Titan XP hooked up to my phone"

14 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Capture.PNG

I quit the internet

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

I said if the phone is going to be better built than the Robin then it's going to cost a lot. I also know why and what they bought them for, as I mentioned in another post.

I'm also not saying they will have Google Assistant (not OK Google), but if they're going to have a voice assistant it may not be their own.

Man i am not really sure how the A.I thing works(correct me if i am wrong) but if my assumption is correct, Razer should be able to buy databases of information and develop with a license on a existing A.I,personally i really dig Amazons Alexa, in a somewhat inexpensive way

Also OnePlus has proven that a very good phone can be made for less, and Razer already has Support and International Marketing Teams, and i believe a 3rd or 4th from the top build quality as fas laptops go, so it shouldn't be imposiible for them to produce a phone with mid-tier to high end specs for 400-500 $ in a 14-20 month timeline.

14 minutes ago, lilbman said:

I can just imagine a staff meeting for Delta

"how do we improve our products so that people will use them?"

"Good question"

"F*ck it let's put RGB lights on it"

-sales go up 200%-

I can't really make fun of people who like RGB lighting, seeing as I use an Alienware laptop on a daily basis.

i'd make the argument that at least an alienware laptop comes with all the ports you want and need and has the ease of upgradability and diy maintenance that razer won't offer and the rgb is only there because "g4m3rz"

17 minutes ago, lilbman said:

Just food for thought, what if the Razer Core worked with a Razer phone, assuming they make one?

Just imagine talking to an iOS user about that

"My phone is faster than any Android out there"

"B*tch please, I have a Titan XP hooked up to my phone"

What if they made it an x86 Windows 10 phone?

26 minutes ago, Geek95 said:

What if they made it an x86 Windows 10 phone?

with a 1080