Is Windows Server feasible for a NAS?

If cost is no object, (i.e. MSDN for example) and if most of my clients are running Windows 10, would you recommend using Windows Server 2016 on a NAS versus the other options, such as FreeNAS? If so, what version of Windows Server 2016 would you recommend? (This is just a hypothetical question, although I might build a NAS in the future using this recommendation.)

3 minutes ago, arbitraryusername123 said:

If cost is no object, (i.e. MSDN for example) and if most of my clients are running Windows 10, would you recommend using Windows Server 2016 on a NAS versus the other options, such as FreeNAS? If so, what version of Windows Server 2016 would you recommend? (This is just a hypothetical question, although I might build a NAS in the future using this recommendation.)

It depends on the NAS box, but usually, I personally wouldn't use a windows server OS for a NAS simply because it's over kill, you don't need the dual socket support for a NAS, or the remote desktop features all that much, unless you have a very powerful NAS and then you'd want the special features of NAS specific OSes. 

Yours faithfully

15 minutes ago, arbitraryusername123 said:

You do know you are not supposed to use MSDN for a "Productive Use" instance, yes?   Only for development/testing purposes.   Anyway ...

Yes, Windows Server makes a great NAS (at $0 especially).   At $1k then ... depends.

If everyone is Windows 10 and you can get SMB3 running optimally, then the network benefits are good.

11 minutes ago, Rohime said:

You do know you are not supposed to use MSDN for a "Productive Use" instance, yes?   Only for development/testing purposes.   Anyway ...

Yes, Windows Server makes a great NAS (at $0 especially).   At $1k then ... depends.

If everyone is Windows 10 and you can get SMB3 running optimally, then the network benefits are good.

I think you mean 'Production Use'.  Development use is usually 'productive'. ;)  Don't assume 'msdn' doesn't include production key sets, our MSDN/VLSC contains all of the keys we use for 'production' workstations and servers.

And OP, yes, Windows Server (2012r2 or 2016) is a great OS for a 'nas' application, although it would be a glorified NAS at that point.  You could setup Storage Spaces and go from there.