New Mid End Build

adte12345
Go to solution Solved by HKZeroFive,

-You're losing the ability to overclock by placing an unlocked processor on a non-Z motherboard. Also, chances are that motherboard needs a BIOS update for that Kaby Lake CPU.

-If it's not much more, get 16GB of 2666-3000MHz RAM.

-Storage seems strangely overkill for such a build.

-I'm going to also suggest the RX 480 4GB. Should have around the same performance with a bit more VRAM at a similar price point.

Hi, I'm building a PC for my brother and I was wondering if this build is decent or if there are any compatibility issues... Here are the basics:

Usage:

Gaming on a 1080p 60Hz monitor. He plans to play H1Z1, Rust and Rocket League

CPU

i5 - 7600K Kaby Lake Processor

RAM

HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16gb

GPU

Asus GeForce GTX 1060 3gb Dual OC

Motherboard

MSI B150I Gaming Pro AC socket-1151

Storage

WD Desktop Black 2tb 2.5"

Intel 600p 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD

CPU Cooler

Noctua NH-L9x65 CPU cooler

Power Supply

Corsair CX550M (550 Watt)

Case

250D

As far as I can tell these parts seem to be compatible with one another. 

Is a M.2 PCIe SSD worth it over SATA? It should be faster, but I'm not sure if it can be reused on his next pc build.

Also, is the GPU good enough?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Adrian

The GTX 1060 3GB will get "outdated" quick since it only has 3GB of VRAM (which no game developer optimises for). Would recommend the RX 480 4GB instead for the same price. If you only plan on holding onto that GPU for a short amount of time than it is okay to buy the 1060 3GB.

Secondly, get a Z270 mobo if you want to overclock and have support for faster memory.

I believe that the motherboard needs a BIOS update to work with that cpu.

Spoiler

My system:

CPU: i5-6600K <> Mobo: Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming <> Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 <> GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 <> SSD: Intel 600p 256Gb

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (16Gb @ 3000Mhz) <> PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W <> Case: Corsair Carbide 400C <> Fans: 6x Bitfenix Spectre 

Monitor: Asus VG248QE <> Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300 <> Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Ultimate <> Speakers: Logitech Z333

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Ok, my cheapo Bitfenix fans are 120mm, all six of them. Are you happy now?

Spoiler

I am not actually Linus...

Spoiler

You can leave my signature now.....

Get a Z270 motherboard if you want t overclock the CPU, you can't overclock it with a B150 board and if you don't want to overclock then don't get the i5 7600K and get the i5 7500 or i5 7600 instead to save money.

Also the 3GB 1060 isn't that great unless you get a good deal on it.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

9 minutes ago, adte12345 said:

Hi, I'm building a PC for my brother and I was wondering if this build is decent or if there are any compatibility issues... Here are the basics:

Usage:

Gaming on a 1080p 60Hz monitor. He plans to play H1Z1, Rust and Rocket League

CPU

i5 - 7600K Kaby Lake Processor

RAM

HyperX Fury DDR4 2133MHz 16gb

GPU

Asus GeForce GTX 1060 3gb Dual OC

Motherboard

MSI B150I Gaming Pro AC socket-1151

Storage

WD Desktop Black 2tb 2.5"

Intel 600p 512GB M.2 PCIe SSD

CPU Cooler

Noctua NH-L9x65 CPU cooler

Power Supply

Corsair CX550M (550 Watt)

Case

250D

As far as I can tell these parts seem to be compatible with one another. 

Is a M.2 PCIe SSD worth it over SATA? It should be faster, but I'm not sure if it can be reused on his next pc build.

Also, is the GPU good enough?

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Adrian

not much difference between the 6600k and 7600k so i'd go with whichever one is cheaper and i'd go with a rx 480 since in a few years your brother could add another one for crossfire if he needs to whereas the 1060 doesn't have any sli support. 

-You're losing the ability to overclock by placing an unlocked processor on a non-Z motherboard. Also, chances are that motherboard needs a BIOS update for that Kaby Lake CPU.

-If it's not much more, get 16GB of 2666-3000MHz RAM.

-Storage seems strangely overkill for such a build.

-I'm going to also suggest the RX 480 4GB. Should have around the same performance with a bit more VRAM at a similar price point.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, Squibbies18 said:

not much difference between the 6600k and 7600k so i'd go with the whichever one is cheaper and i'd go with a rx 480 since in a few years your brother could add another one for crossfire if he needs to whereas the 1060 doesn't have any sli support. 

Thing is, this is a mini-itx build... So I'll have to get the right GPU on my first try

1 minute ago, adte12345 said:

Thing is, this is a mini-itx build... So I'll have to get the right GPU on my first try

then i'd go with an 8gb rx 480 over the 1060 anyday, the rx 480 performs better in DX12 games and due to its VRAM it will probably also have a longer life span than the 1060

1 minute ago, Squibbies18 said:

then i'd go with an 8gb rx 480 over the 1060 anyday, the rx 480 performs better in DX12 games and due to its VRAM it will probably also have a longer life span than the 1060

Will do, thanks

9 hours ago, Squibbies18 said:

the rx 480 performs better in DX12 games and due to its VRAM it will probably also have a longer life span than the 1060

It's probably due to A-sync and poor optimisation in part not VRAM 

Pascal laptops guide

2 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

It's probably due to A-sync and poor optimisation in part not VRAM 

i didn't say that it performs better in DX12 because of its VRAM but K

7 hours ago, Squibbies18 said:

i didn't say that it performs better in DX12 because of its VRAM but K

I just missed an "and", nothing to worry about.

Pascal laptops guide