Looking for a decent laptop

Go to solution Solved by D2ultima,
6 minutes ago, voylin said:

why excactly are U chips not good for video editing? :o
I don't directly see what you mean with it when looking at your signature xs

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/246907-how-mobile-i7-cpus-work/

^ read that.

4 minutes ago, voylin said:

So you would suggest not going for and i5-6300HQ Chip?
What is the cheapest laptop that you would recommend me to do video editing on?
When not looking at my budget, what is the minimum that you personally would choose? :o
I appreciate your knowledge and advice very much

I would suggest a minimum i5-HQ chip over a U chip.

Dell 7559 or Lenovo Y700 would be more up your alley, I think.

For editing and travel, I'd probably take... hmm... either a P640HK1 clevo, or a N855HJ Clevo. They don't have 1060s but have quadcore i7 mobile chips and 1050Ti and 1050 cards respectively. A seller like Obsidian-PC in portugal would be the best place to get them, as they use aftermarket thermal pads and liquid metal and a whole lot of good stuff for cooling efficiency by default. I don't think MSI has anything along those lines for that price range. ASUS had a model a couple years ago, with the 970M, but the subsequent models I won't recommend. Alternately, Lenovo Thinkpads are good, I think the P50s would be up your alley. They're a bit thicker but still good for travel and warranty and build quality is top notch.

I am looking for a decent laptop which can handle light gaming and will be mainly used for editing video's.
I don't need anything very high spec. mostly because my budget is under 700 eur,
I live in Belgium and will travel to Japan, so those 2 locations will i be able to buy a laptop

What do I really need to edit video's and what laptop would be just good enough?

I first thought that I would need DDR4 memory and an i7 and everything but i am not that sure anymore and getting alittle confused when I am browsing online for information because everyone has a different opinion ^^"
Thanks in Advance

The CPU information guide in my signature will clearly explain why you don't want "U" chips for video editing.

As for the laptop specifically, I don't know for that budget. It's a rather low budget for games and video editing.

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

5 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

The CPU information guide in my signature will clearly explain why you don't want "U" chips for video editing.

As for the laptop specifically, I don't know for that budget. It's a rather low budget for games and video editing.

no a "u" chip will do fine also he won't do pro level editing i am sure. a simple processor paired with a gpu will be fine. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

no a "u" chip will do fine also he won't do pro level editing i am sure. a simple processor paired with a gpu will be fine. 

I don't think I'll ever understand why people say a 15W limited CPU (when the iGPU's power draw is included in this 15W) is useful for video editing... but if he really doesn't care about editing speed or efficiency then sure it'll work.

You don't need to be at a pro level to make use of even an i5-6300HQ.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

2 minutes ago, voylin said:

when converting to euro it is quite some over my budget xs

any laptop with a minimum of i5, you should be fine for edits up to 1080p. 

1 minute ago, voylin said:

yeah it will just be very basic kind of video editing :P

that's my point you should be fine, throw in a ssd if you can or buy an external ssd, that should help a lot. 

6 minutes ago, voylin said:

I don't directly see what you mean with it when looking at your signature xs

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/246907-how-mobile-i7-cpus-work/

^ read that.

4 minutes ago, voylin said:

So you would suggest not going for and i5-6300HQ Chip?
What is the cheapest laptop that you would recommend me to do video editing on?
When not looking at my budget, what is the minimum that you personally would choose? :o
I appreciate your knowledge and advice very much

I would suggest a minimum i5-HQ chip over a U chip.

Dell 7559 or Lenovo Y700 would be more up your alley, I think.

For editing and travel, I'd probably take... hmm... either a P640HK1 clevo, or a N855HJ Clevo. They don't have 1060s but have quadcore i7 mobile chips and 1050Ti and 1050 cards respectively. A seller like Obsidian-PC in portugal would be the best place to get them, as they use aftermarket thermal pads and liquid metal and a whole lot of good stuff for cooling efficiency by default. I don't think MSI has anything along those lines for that price range. ASUS had a model a couple years ago, with the 970M, but the subsequent models I won't recommend. Alternately, Lenovo Thinkpads are good, I think the P50s would be up your alley. They're a bit thicker but still good for travel and warranty and build quality is top notch.

41 minutes ago, voylin said:

Because on GPU accelerated workloads your CPU TDP throttles to about 1ghz. Your iGPU also TDP throttles. Basically there's not enough voltage to go around for the CPU or GPU so both are fucked. Business laptops with U series all have adjustable TDP up to 25W so those perform better under simultaneous loads from the CPU and GPU. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p